Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next iMacs to get redesigned?

Next iMacs to get redesigned? (Page 2)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Indeed. I was a little disappointed in Apple's choice of the mobile chips for the iMac, but OTOH, I'm constantly impressed as to just how quiet this thing is. Even at full tilt (for days, encoding video), it's dead quiet.
I agree. Personally, I think it's OK they went with a mobile chipset in the iMac since it it's supposed to be a sexy AIO consumer desktop - noise goes against that. That said, I would like to see a decent Conroe or Kentsfield Mac somewhere in the middle. I think most people who criticize the iMac's chipset do so mainly because Apple doesn't really have a non-pro 'desktop'. It's quite a jump from the iMac to the workstation class MP. If Apple had a HEM with Conroe/Kentsfield or a Yikes MP in between I doubt anybody would be bothered by the iMac's Merom CPU or 945 chipset.

It will be at higher clock, albeit not much higher. As you are aware CPU speed is related to the memory speed. Memory on the current machines is 667 MHz, but memory with Santa Rosa is 800 MHz. Thus, I expect the top of the line iMac to be 2.4 GHz when released.
Definitely. CPU clock with SR will go 2.33 -> 2.4 GHz (integer multiplier). But I'm pretty certain the performance gain people will notice is primarily due to the improved FSB of the chipset. That'll likely do quite a bit more than the additional 67 MHz CPU clock. Ever since Merom was introduced, we've seen benchmarks where the 667 MHz FSB bottlenecks the CPU. Fortunately, this will improve with SR's 800 MHz FSB. Good stuff ahead.

I will consider buying a 2.2 GHz 20" iMac, assuming I like the new design (if there is one) and if there is a price drop. (2.2 GHz since it is cheaper.)
I see where you're coming from. I've been wanting to get a loaded 24" iMac ever since they came out. And certainly once the SR model arrives I'll be even more inclined to do so. Problem is, for heavy duty crunching at work I need more power and we're getting new MPs and a nice little Xserve cabinet for that already. For the road or home use it has to be a MBP. So the iMac would be mainly just sitting around gathering dust. And I promised my g/f we'd buy a Wii before we blow $2500 on a new Mac just for playing games. Talk about issues.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 25, 2007 at 01:42 PM. )

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2007, 01:41 PM

Yes... Vewy, vewy qwiet!!!
I have the 24" 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac. This is my machine after 2.5 days of video encoding, and still quiet:
This is in stark contrast to my G5 iMac. The 2.0 GHz G5 20" was quiet at idle and pretty quiet with light usage, but the fans would rev up moderately under heavy load.
Cool, thanks. Good to know.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 04:10 PM

Anyway, the current processor in the iMac (Merom) is really close to the mobile part in term of performance (clock for clock). The trade off is the clock speed which would be higher in a desktop processor, and for a lower price. I prefer it this way.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 04:40 PM

Indeed, the 2.4 GHz Conroe and the 2.33 GHz Merom perform similarly in CPU-limited tasks. Merom's TDP is roughly only half of Conroe's, but OTOH Merom is also about twice as expensive. And finally, let's not forget that Intel's desktop CPUs (Conroe and Kentsfield) support a 1066 MHz FSB rather than the 667 MHz bus Merom has to run on currently.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kamina View Post
Anyway, the current processor in the iMac (Merom) is really close to the mobile part in term of performance (clock for clock). The trade off is the clock speed which would be higher in a desktop processor, and for a lower price. I prefer it this way.
The current processor in the iMac IS the mobile part.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 02:15 AM

The current processor in the iMac IS the mobile part.
Hmm... Small lapse in reason

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Indeed, the 2.4 GHz Conroe and the 2.33 GHz Merom perform similarly in CPU-limited tasks. Merom's TDP is roughly only half of Conroe's, but OTOH Merom is also about twice as expensive. And finally, let's not forget that Intel's desktop CPUs (Conroe and Kentsfield) support a 1066 MHz FSB rather than the 667 MHz bus Merom has to run on currently.
Yep, but according to the tests I read the difference in performance due to slower FSB is marginal. At best there was a 10% difference in memory intensive applications, but in most places the difference was 0-5%.

So you are basically paying a margin for having a more silent computer, something I was doing for ages with my PC's before seeing the light. The only downside for me is the lack of highest end processor availability, but looking at the form factor that should not come to anyone as a surprise.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 03:31 AM

Hmm... Small lapse in reason
And I thought you just wrote 'mobile' instead of 'desktop' by mistake.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 06:04 AM

That's what I did.

The lapse was in my reason

opus_az
Mar 26, 2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I've never liked white computers/peripherals. Gimme metal or black, preferably in a brushed finish.
I prefer a white monitor. I think white allows the colors to 'pop' whereas a black monitor seems to soak up some of the color.

If all they do is aesthetically change the iMacs I won't be upset at having just purchased a 24" iMac last month.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 09:32 AM

Yep, but according to the tests I read the difference in performance due to slower FSB is marginal. At best there was a 10% difference in memory intensive applications, but in most places the difference was 0-5%.
Actually, that 10% was one of the reasons I was thinking of waiting to get a new iMac. That and the fact that the current iMac is limited to 3 GB max.

However, in the end I didn't bother waiting. I just paid more get the 2.33 GHz CPU instead of the 2.16. That and the 7600 GT. I'm glad I bought when I did, cuz the Core 2 Duo iMacs rock. However, if the 7600 GT hadn't been an option, I probably would have waited. The really big benefit I can see now for the GPU is getting a 512 MB version. That would really rock for dual monitor Aperture goodness. (Actually, I'm not sure how much of a boost 512 MB would be over 256 MB for dual-monitor Aperture, but I do note that on my 256 MB 7600 GT iMac, Aperture does slow down sometimes with dual monitors.)

Originally Posted by opus_az View Post
I prefer a white monitor. I think white allows the colors to 'pop' whereas a black monitor seems to soak up some of the color.

If all they do is aesthetically change the iMacs I won't be upset at having just purchased a 24" iMac last month.
As was suggested earlier, it seems like a good bet they'll upgrade to Santa Rosa too. If so, that's a significant upgrade. As a bonus, the new iMac buyers will likely get OS X 10.5 Leopard and iLife '07 as well.

Actually if they do get Santa Rosa, I wonder if Apple will use desktop DIMMs for these machines. Desktop DIMMs are much more practical at this point at 800 MHz, and I note that some previous iMacs like my G5 iMac used desktop DIMMs.

But like I mentioned, I have the current 24" iMac too and it's great nonetheless. In fact, if they do update the machines to a Santa Rosa and a new form factor, our "old" iMacs may still be a great buy as a clearance/refurb item, for those on a budget.

idyll
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 11:55 PM

Do you guys think this update will happen before the Mac Pros are updated? Which was updated last, Mac Pros or the iMac?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 12:12 AM

Mac Pro.
Linkinus is king.

DJDMac84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 12:19 AM

I really think that the Top end iMac could have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz). If you think about it, its the perfect middle of the road high end mac. 2/3 Mac Pros are still faster than it, and all the 8 core mac pros (When they come out) will be faster than it. So really, the low end Quad Core shouldnt be that hard

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 12:21 AM

Mac Pro: August 7, 2006 - 232 days since last update (avg. 206)
iMac: September 6, 2006 - 202 days since last update (ave. 168)

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac

P.S. The Mac mini and the Cinema Displays are due for an update as well.

P
Mar 28, 2007, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DJDMac84 View Post
I really think that the Top end iMac could have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz). If you think about it, its the perfect middle of the road high end mac. 2/3 Mac Pros are still faster than it, and all the 8 core mac pros (When they come out) will be faster than it. So really, the low end Quad Core shouldnt be that hard
Except that model has a 130 W TDP, while Merom has 35W. It wouldn't be what you call quiet.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 03:32 AM

From a performance and marketing POV that sounds absolutely fine.

The problem with that idea is the TDP of the Kentsfield CPUs and the iMac's thermal design. The Q6600 has a TDP somewhere between 85W and 125W depending on who you ask. Now since Apple used the 35W Merom instead of the cheaper 65W Conroe in the present iMac, you can imagine that they would have to do a serious thermal redesign in order to put a ~100W CPU into the iMac - if at all. So unless Apple is willing to redesign the iMac (some actually consider this rather likely) I doubt you'll see a Kentsfield in there.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2007, 06:03 AM

I think you never opened up an imac and looked inside...

DJDMac84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 02:51 PM

I think you never opened up an imac and looked inside...
I have never opened a iMac. I understand where you are comming from, however, they could do a redesign and make this work. I agree with current models that a Q6600 would be impossible.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2007, 04:17 PM

god i hope so soon!!! i dont really like the current one

and even though it wont happen i would like a 15 inch. one for my main desk i have a perfect place for it but it would have to be a 15 or 17 inch

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by tutelary View Post
reality check? dont make me laugh. Intel is promising 80 cores in 5 years. If you dont think Santa Rosa is going to target quads you're an idiot...
Here's some hard information fresh from Intel's press room:
Intel Details Upcoming New Processor Generations

And as expected, the next mobile CPU (the mobile version of the 45nm Penryn) will be dual-core and have 6MB L2 cache. There's also a desktop version of that CPU. There will also be a quad-core Penryn for desktops (under the Core Quad label) and for workstations/servers (Xeon). They will come with 12 MB L2 cache.

So anybody waiting for quad-core mobile CPUs form Intel is going to have to wait at least until 2008 (Nehalem release). And actually, to this date Intel hasn't confirmed that the mobile version of Nehalem will be more than dual-core. I guess the wait continues.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2007, 03:52 PM

I'd like to see this for ~$1700 (US$1467) next quarter:

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 800 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB <-- desktop DIMMs
* 250GB Serial ATA Drive
* ATI Radeon X1650/128MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8X (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Arrggh. After selling my G5 iMac at work, I've been trying to do everything on my ancient P4 1.6 Win 2000 box with 512 MB. It's definitely not making my life easy. I could up the RAM and add new software to the P4, but I just can't be convinced to spend much money on this thing, esp. since it belongs to my workplace, not me.

Thus, I truly hope the new iMacs come sooner rather than later. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my G5 iMac when I did, but I figured I'd be better off selling it for a bit more money, before the any redesigned iMacs came out. While I knew I'd be annoyed with my Win 2000 box, I didn't know at the time by just how much.

I really hope I don't have to wait until June...

rach
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2007, 05:55 AM

I know that people think that Apple do not inform any companies as to if there is a new product in the pipelines but from my personal experience I know that is not so. If I wasn't personally told myself by somebody in PC World that the iMac's were getting a redesign among other things i would not have believed it myself.

In mid February i rang through to PC World when they were selling an iMac CD model of as clearance and i was told by an employee on the phone that Apple told them that a redesign was in the works but as to when it would be released they were given no further information. I think that by telling them this allowed them to clear of old stock. From that point anyway i knew something quite major would be happening with the iMac's because i believed what i was told.
I don't think that anybody really believed me at the time who i relayed this information to but now those who i told can see that i was correct in what i relayed to them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
In mid February i rang through to PC World when they were selling an iMac CD model of as clearance and i was told my an employee on the phone that Apple told them that a redesign was in the works but as to when it would be released they were given no further information. I think that by telling them this allowed them to clear of old stock.
Apple doesn't tell sales employees anything about future releases. They don't even tell all of their own staff ahead of time. What motivation should Apple have to inform a PC World clerk anyway?

I don't think that anybody really believed me at the time who i relayed this information to
I believe you that the employee told you what you claim. However, I wouldn't believe any store clerk that claims to have inside information from Apple.

but now those who i told can see that i was correct in what i relayed to them.
How come? The redesigned iMac hasn't appeared since. So actually your rumor is still nothing but a rumor. An iMac redesign will eventually happen. It takes no genius to recognize that. But Apple certainly won't inform store clerks about it months in advance.

rach
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2007, 06:17 AM

I know that some people will not believe that Apple may inform any companies of a product in the pipelines but like I said from my own personal experience I don't think that is the case. I don't think that guy would have made it up to me so I do believe what he said. It is a rumour you are right but back then when I was told there was no rumours on the rumour sites of a redesign and shortly after they started to appear. I think that one can either choose to believe when they themselves are told things like this or not.

The only reason why I think that Apple may have informed them was to help them shift old stock. That weekend they were selling of CD iMac's for £399 and I rang through to try and see if any was left and that is what I was told.

As I said the person who I spoke to didn't know when the product would be launched but they did seem to know that there was going to be a redesign among a few other things.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2007, 08:22 AM

While it's possible that some retailers get info a bit in advance when a refresh is imminent, they don't get specific info on the specs of a new design. From the discussions we heard from people in the industry, this is quite clear.

In other words, that person you spoke with was either just speculating or was misinformed. I've even had Apple employees tell me stuff that turned out later to be completely wrong.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 02:12 AM

ok here is my thoughts on the subject but before I start I would like to say a big hello to everyone here.

So, I think that the reason Apple may have used a mobile chipset was for the fact is that last year, Apple for just looking to get the Intel switch to market as fast as possible and without a glitch. Now as for heat, it seems that the G5 IMac's really ran hot and I see a lot of posts here that say they ran without noise. So it seems that they could do a Imac with desktop components and not make it to loud.

Now Second, Is it not true that Santa Rosa board is dew out on May, 4th, I was wondering how soon could get it into a IMac and get it shipping? It seems that it way take a month or so. I would to say I am also a close watcher of the of the MacRumors Mac Buyer's Guide, and if it takes till the end of may that would push the refresh cycle to 260 days. I was wondering if anyone thinks that Apple is willing to wait that long between updates.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 04:43 AM

Santa Rosa is a mobile chipset. I will replace the current Napa.

If you're expecting the iMac to switch to a desktop CPU however (along with the necessary thermal redesign) the components have all already been released by Intel for quite some time now: The E6x00 Core 2 CPU ("Conroe"), the Q6600 Core 2 Quad CPU ("Kentsfield"), and QX6700 Core 2 Quad Extreme CPU ("Kentsfield") together with the Intel 975X chipset ("Glenwood"). That's something Apple could release right now with no need to wait for SR. Of course if they were waiting for the new Conroe CPUs (E6x50) that would delay the box at least until April 22 (Intel's release date).

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Santa Rosa is a mobile chipset.
And I knew that sorry.
(I have eMac on the mind, My logic board is on Back order for six weeks now. )
I am going to be in the market for a new IMac the first of may and hoping what ever Apple is going to I am hoping they do it before then.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
ok here is my thoughts on the subject but before I start I would like to say a big hello to everyone here.

So, I think that the reason Apple may have used a mobile chipset was for the fact is that last year, Apple for just looking to get the Intel switch to market as fast as possible and without a glitch. Now as for heat, it seems that the G5 IMac's really ran hot and I see a lot of posts here that say they ran without noise. So it seems that they could do a Imac with desktop components and not make it to loud.
Noise perception is a very personal subject, silent for one is loud for another. The G5 iMacs where definitely not silent, and anyone claiming they where is deaf. While it was "not very loud" when running at idle, it would become very loud as soon as you start doing anything even remotely taxing with the system.

The C2D iMac's are not inaudible either, but they are extremely silent. This can easily be verified by reading the review from silentpcreview where they take silence very seriously, and involve objective measurements into the equation. They found the original CD iMac to be among the most silent stock computers they have tested. Something like this does not happen by coincidence, Apple has intended that the machine is really silent.

So yes, of course Apple could produce an iMac with desktop components, and some people would consider it to be silent. In reality it would not fare very well in a test comparing it with other silent computers, because it would not really be silent, especially if you start stressing out the processor and / or video card.

Now Second, Is it not true that Santa Rosa board is dew out on May, 4th, I was wondering how soon could get it into a IMac and get it shipping? It seems that it way take a month or so. I would to say I am also a close watcher of the of the MacRumors Mac Buyer's Guide, and if it takes till the end of may that would push the refresh cycle to 260 days. I was wondering if anyone thinks that Apple is willing to wait that long between updates.
I'm not 100% sure the macrumours update guide is fully compatible with the current situation. The catch is, that the way Apple receives updates to the components they use in their computer is completely different from before. Now if they want to release a computer with a new chipset ect. it means they have to wait for Intel to announce and release that chipset. Of course we can trust they are already testing it, and the fact that an update is overdue means they will try to release it quickly.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:22 AM

TS is claiming that Leopard and iLife is out in June. If true, I wonder if that means the new iMac won't be out until then. That's 2 months from now, if Apple decides to wait for Leopard before releasing the new iMac. (They did that with one of the G5 iMacs. They waited until a few days after Tiger was released before releasing that iMac.)

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2007, 08:19 AM

That's 2 months from now, if Apple decides to wait for Leopard before releasing the new iMac. (They did that with one of the G5 iMacs. They waited until a few days after Tiger was released before releasing that iMac.)
And I think they will do it again. New iMacs and Leopard somewhere between end of May and WWDC is my guess. Now, who will play the fly on the wall in S. Jobs office and tell us what the alleged new design will be?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 10:16 AM

Hmmm... Tempting...

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
CAD$1369 (US$1185)

That same machine (but with 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo) is $1549 (US$1341) with the reduced pricing I can get.

However, I'm still gonna wait. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop prices a bit, and the new version will have Leopard + iLife Leopard (not to mention possibly a new form factor). Plus that refurb machine is not a Core 2 Duo.

P.S. The G5 iMac refurbs actually cost MORE than the Core Duo iMac refurbs with similar specs. I guess Classic support as well native PPC software support are still popular.

EDIT:

The Apple Store in Canada is down. I think it's just a glitch though, since there's no "We'll Be Back Soon" message.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 02:16 PM

TS is claiming that Leopard and iLife is out in June. If true, I wonder if that means the new iMac won't be out until then. That's 2 months from now, if Apple decides to wait for Leopard before releasing the new iMac. (They did that with one of the G5 iMacs. They waited until a few days after Tiger was released before releasing that iMac.)
To me it seems that you can look at it two ways.

First: That even though June will hold WWDC and many workshpos on Leopard. Steve wants June to be about the IPhone and all the hype that comes with it. So Leopard will be out before then, maybe the middle of may. if you would have asked me a month ago I would have belived this to be true and it still maybe. The fact that if the IMac is getting what Apple Insider called "Striking New Industrial Design" may steal some of the thunder away from the IPhone, and my job's would not want that. On the other hand the fact that the IMac is selling real well right now may just push it back till July or even more,

Second: This seems to be true to me now. Is that June is going to be the Apple month. It seems to me that alot of people were ticked off that thier was not that much at the Macworld Expo then the Apple TV and the IPhone. So with the new Imac and Leopard coming out around the same time as the IPhone, it would be Apple's way of saying that the Macintosh line is just as important as the other things Apple has been doing.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 08:19 PM

We already pretty much knew this but...

Santa Rosa platform to hit shelves in 1H May, says DRAMeXchange

According to the current product planning of vendors, if all goes as scheduled, Intel's next generation notebook platform, Santa Rosa, is set to hit product shelves in the first half of May, according to DRAMeXchange, which noted that from the timetable, both the shipments of full system and barebone notebooks will be a major focus of PC ODMs at the end of April.

The upcoming Santa Rosa release in May will cover both the consumer and commercial sectors, and be equipped with the Core 2 Duo processor, according to DRAMeXchange.

I'll stick with my May prediction for the new iMac, but like the others also think that June 11 at WWDC is also a possibility.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2007, 05:07 AM

I'll stick with my May prediction for the new iMac, but like the others also think that June 11 at WWDC is also a possibility.
Is there any Apple event scheduled in May? If Apple goes finally for a form factor change, I doubt it will do it without some special event to present the new machines. If it is a routine update though, then of course it could be completely silent by just updating the web pages.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:39 AM

No major Apple event in May.

We shall see. I'm probably just being optimistic though, cuz I want a new iMac for the office.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 09:39 PM

Intel Serves Up 'Pro' To Go

SANTA CLARA, Calif., April 4, 2007 -- Under a new brand called Intel® Centrino® Pro processor technology, Intel Corporation today announced it will extend its innovative and popular features designed for desktop business PCs called Intel® vPro™ processor technology into its forthcoming high-performance laptop offering. IT departments will be able to reliably manage both desktops and notebooks and deal with what plagues them most – security threats, cost of ownership, resource allocation, and asset management -- and do so wirelessly.

Intel Centrino Pro processor technology will be available in the second quarter this year as part of the company's planned introduction of the next generation Centrino processor technology code named 'Santa Rosa.' Both business and consumer notebook users will benefit from the highly acclaimed Intel® Core™2 Duo processors, which are at the heart of the platform. The latest versions offer higher performance while also delivering outstanding energy efficiency and battery life.

A new wireless component, Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N will give users more freedom to do more, farther away from their access points with support for the draft 802.11n specification delivering up to five times the performance** and twice the wireless range**. Users will also enjoy improved graphics performance and support for Microsoft Windows Vista's latest graphic interface Aero*. In addition, the optional Intel® Turbo Memory means users can experience up to two times faster performance when loading frequently-used applications, and up to a 20 percent faster boot time.

Why they had the launch in Santa Clara and not Santa Rosa, I simply don't understand.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 12:39 PM

I could believe that. What do you think we will see at NAB event other then Logic and Final Cut upgrades? In other words do you think we could see new IMac then?

P
Apr 12, 2007, 10:01 AM

Why they had the launch in Santa Clara and not Santa Rosa, I simply don't understand.
All Intel codenames are places near the design center - they could introduce all new products at the place they were named for, if they wanted to.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
I could believe that. What do you think we will see at NAB event other then Logic and Final Cut upgrades?
QuickTime maybe? IMO, QuickTime needs some codec/format updates (like H.264 High Profile and AVCHD support), and that would fit nicely with a major update of Final Cut.

In other words do you think we could see new IMac then?
I do not think the new iMac will be unleashed at NAB, cuz I believe (that unlike the new Mac Pro) the new iMac will only support Leopard, which IMO won't be launched at NAB either. It'd be nice though.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2007, 06:33 PM

I do not think the new iMac will be unleashed at NAB, cuz I believe (that unlike the new Mac Pro) the new iMac will only support Leopard, which IMO won't be launched at NAB either. It'd be nice though.
If the assumption about the link between the new iMacs and Leopard is correct, then this puts some interesting forcing in the dynamical system.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2007, 08:00 PM

Yeah, that blows that theory out of the water.

Thus, I now simply predict the new iMac will come in May, obviously without Leopard.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 10:28 PM

With today's delay announcement, I gotta believe that some of the reason is they are implementing technology goodies they have been discovering with the iPhone design into Leopard. This could also be advantageous to the new hardware.

I have been waiting for Leopards realease before making a hardware purchase, specifically, a new iMac. While I hate to wait until October, I will. I can't imagine a new iMac coming before the iPhone that would tempt me. Especially now that I strongly believe the iPhone design will further influence Leopard and the ensuing hardware.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 12:21 AM

I say that we will see a new mac at NAB. I am 95% sure. AND I agree that the iMac will come in late april or early May, but no redisign. This will only come with 10.5 and so this concludes that we will see new Mac Mini at NAB and new apple displays eather at NAB or WWDC or any where in the next few months.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 09:28 AM

I'm getting frustrated. I waited in late fall for January and all I got was an iphone. So now I'm still waiting, waiting. Yes I could buy now. But I don't buy new computers all that often (have a 6-year-old G4 desktop and a 4-year-old original 12-in PB, and if I'm going to buy one, I'd like it to be pretty much the newest. And in January ... nothing. So I hope we see something soon. I know, I know, if I need a new computer now I should buy it now. I'm approaching that point. A little longer and the heck with it it. I'm just going to buy.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I'm getting frustrated. I waited in late fall for January and all I got was an iphone. So now I'm still waiting, waiting. Yes I could buy now. But I don't buy new computers all that often (have a 6-year-old G4 desktop and a 4-year-old original 12-in PB, and if I'm going to buy one, I'd like it to be pretty much the newest. And in January ... nothing. So I hope we see something soon. I know, I know, if I need a new computer now I should buy it now. I'm approaching that point. A little longer and the heck with it it. I'm just going to buy.
Actually, we didn't even get the iPhone, since it's not out until the summer (at the expense of Leopard).

Considering the last iMac came out in the fall, I wasn't expecting a new iMac at Macworld though. Spring was a good bet, because of the timing of the last iMac and because Santa Rosa was due out then. I'm still guessing May for the new iMac.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 10:19 AM

Rest assured the wait won't be much longer. Since Apple is now using Intel chipsets you have to look at Intel's schedule rather than Apple's traditional MWSF/WWDC dates. Intel will release Santa Rosa in May. Expect new iMacs then.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 12:34 AM

Well, May's not too far off! A lot closer than October,that's for sure.

And of course, I'm still mulling an imac (it would be my first, and probably would serve me quite nicely) or the lowest-end tower. That latter choice also assumes a drop in price or intro of a new machine. Well, the new machines are out, but I didn't see a drop in price. So ... I'm still waiting...
Thanks for the more optimistic timeline, though!

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 02:27 AM

Well, May's not too far off! A lot closer than October,that's for sure.

And of course, I'm still mulling an imac (it would be my first, and probably would serve me quite nicely) or the lowest-end tower. That latter choice also assumes a drop in price or intro of a new machine. Well, the new machines are out, but I didn't see a drop in price. So ... I'm still waiting...
Thanks for the more optimistic timeline, though!
What are you talking about? What new machines are out?

Forum Links
Forum Rules