Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout 3 Official Thread

Fallout 3 Official Thread (Page 6)
klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

Point Lookout today , I plan on downloading it before work

I have to say I'm more excited for this DLC than any others including the Pitt, just because of the promise of another small wasteland

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2009, 03:39 PM

Same here, only problem is I've had a fever for like, 4 days straight now, hopefully I can will my body to game out...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2009, 08:31 PM

Awesome to the max so far, I see Bougesy played a little bit earlier as well.

My 3rd F3 character pondering whether to get a corn-dog or ride the ferris wheel.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 11:50 AM

Finished up the Point Lookout story today... pretty awesome. Also got my "Bog Walker" achievement and there is some cool locales in this mini wasteland. All in all its a great DLC and i can't wait to go back and have a more in depth look around.
Now i need to work on my 3 lvl 30 achievements...

Side note: lighthouse + lightbulb = nice touch.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 11:53 AM

I see maroma was tinkering around with F3 last night with his level 30, Point Lookout perhaps?

I've dumped several hours, finished one main quest, finished one side quest, and finished one unmarked quest. For the sake of spoilers I'm not going to divulge what any of that entailed because...well this DLC is so awesome I would hate to spoil a second of it.

The new enemies are hard, like, really hard. I've actually traveled back to the Capital Wasteland to grab a few weapons I left behind, and a fresh set of armor. If you have Broken Steel installed be prepared to face more Feral Ghoul Reavers, which is a big pain in the ass. My weapon diagnosis, Nuka Grenades and Bottlecap Mines... lots of em. All this and I haven't yet ventured into the swamp for any commendable distance.

This is the one we've all been waiting for, for anyone on the fence about Fallout DLC in general, skip the previous three and get Point Lookout. Although even a level 20 will find this new wasteland most challenging.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 11:55 AM

That mansion was a wild ride, eh Bouges?

Out of curiosity what difficulty did you run through it at?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That mansion was a wild ride, eh Bouges?

Out of curiosity what difficulty did you run through it at?
mansion was awesome, just you wait till the last mission, uber cool

Running through with my 2nd character lvl 25ish on Hard and it was challenging
Every enemy i run into seems to be a decent challenge, no way i'm coming here under lvl 20.

I'm plan on going on a search for some missions - any recommendations w/o spoiling to much?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 12:12 PM

skip the previous three and get Point Lookout. Although even a level 20 will find this new wasteland most challenging.
although i hate to say just skip them, definitely put Point Lookout to the top of your list. But really they all have been good.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2009, 12:17 PM

Yeah I poked around in Point Lookout last night. Awesome. I can't wait to spend more time with it tonight. I'm working on defending the mansion. Very fun!

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty, and its definitely hard but I love the challenge. Loving this DLC so far!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I'm plan on going on a search for some missions - any recommendations w/o spoiling to much?
If you talk to Tobar about what can be done in Point Lookout, he'll mention some stuff, and you'll get the map markers to boot. The Coastal Grotto has an interesting unmarked 'quest' of sorts. Costs 1000 caps. I haven't done it yet. Also, look around (and inside) the buildings right around the pier, a VERY interesting quest (one I just finished) can be started at a multitude of places. Also, also, don't neglect to search wrecked ships, yet another quest (that I'm saving right now) lies in wait.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah I poked around in Point Lookout last night. Awesome. I can't wait to spend more time with it tonight. I'm working on defending the mansion. Very fun!

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty, and its definitely hard but I love the challenge. Loving this DLC so far!
I'm also playing on Very Hard difficulty and, like Bogues, almost every encounter could easily result in death. I've never had to save so many times in Fallout 3 as I did during the mansion quest....of course that was before I went back to get real armor.

I figured since The Pitt and BS were kind-of easy I was going to wear the Sheriff Hat and Duster (DR like 20) and not bring my more powerful weapons. Now I'm running with full Power Armor and most of my bad-ass weapons.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2009, 01:36 PM

I'm also playing on Very Hard difficulty and, like Bogues, almost every encounter could easily result in death. I've never had to save so many times in Fallout 3 as I did during the mansion quest....of course that was before I went back to get real armor.

I figured since The Pitt and BS were kind-of easy I was going to wear the Sheriff Hat and Duster (DR like 20) and not bring my more powerful weapons. Now I'm running with full Power Armor and most of my bad-ass weapons.
Oh yeah, I had to do the same thing. I was also expecting easier bad guys, but these dudes are tough. Damn southerners.

Have you found that clown mask yet? I love wearing that thing with the overalls and wielding an axe. Its just scary. But not very effective, so I have to switch to my badass gear to fight. I really wish I could take screenshots in that game. There are so many opportunities for great shots.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

Just found it actually, looks funny as a 'helmet' for the BoS armor.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 07:25 PM

Heh, interesting side note.

Coincidence? Hell no, but very cool.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: needed spoiler tags)

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 12:07 PM

Heh, nice. I just completed that one last night. I loved it. This is definitely my favorite DLC thus far.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 PM

That whole segment was really freaking cool.

I assume you've met with Tobar afterwards, that whole story is pretty disturbing and cool as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 12:16 PM

That whole segment was really freaking cool.

I assume you've met with Tobar afterwards, that whole story is pretty disturbing and cool as well.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 12:44 PM

I haven't met with Tobar after that yet, but now that you mention it I will do that tonight. And yeah, loved all the trippy stuff that happened at the end of that event.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 07:43 PM

So i ran through "Operation Anchorage" with my new character today for leveling up ( and it was a joke with my lvl 25).
Also i spent some more time in Point Lookout and seroiusly this DLC Is awesome
I did a few side missions...
First : A Spoonful of Whiskey

Second: The Dark Heart of Blackhall

EDIT: only need 10 more speech successes now for my "silver tongued devil" - gotta find some
( Last edited by klb5090; Jun 25, 2009 at 08:02 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 02:05 AM

A few easy ones concern the dude who owns the Brass Lantern in Megaton. You can get info on his drug addiction from Doc Church (also a speech challenge) which starts the unmarked quest.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 12:13 PM

That Blackhall mission is great. I still have to finish it up, but I love the storyline.

I'm almost finished with Point Lookout. I've found all locations, and just have a couple of missions to finish up before I have nothing left to do. But man, what a great DLC. Probably some of the most fun missions in the game thus far for me. Well worth the money. Can't wait for Mothership Zeta!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2009, 10:48 AM

EDIT: only need 10 more speech successes now for my "silver tongued devil" - gotta find some
Finally got it, don't know how but i missed an awesome quest from "Broken Steel" about Aqua Cura, got four/five right there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2009, 10:23 PM

The one involving the ghoul from underworld?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2009, 11:28 PM

yes sir, thats the one

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 12:48 PM

Got my three lvl 30 Achievements today,

Only have two remaining (stupid lvl 8 bad karma), looks like im traveling back to my hometown in search of some Ignots

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 01:20 PM

Mothership Zeta- August 3rd Release Date
looks like this is going to be an awesome DLC

but... with 3 weeks till release is fatty gonna wait an entire month for Burnout or just bite the bullet

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2009, 03:01 PM

I'll wait, mostly because I'm balls-deep in Nazi Zombies right now (made it to level 20 in Shi No Numa!)

Edit: I will, however, be very sad when I beat this last DLC for F3, what a gaming experience F3 has been for me. I cannot wait until New Vegas is released.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 07:36 PM

Edit: I will, however, be very sad when I beat this last DLC for F3, what a gaming experience F3 has been for me. I cannot wait until New Vegas is released.
Agreed, although i generally dislike the whole MMORPG, i wish this game would never end. Its been a (after this DLC) 110$ game but seriously worth double that in the amount of memorable gameplay.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 08:58 AM

I spent hours and hours in Fallout 3 this past weekend. HOURS I tell you.

Trouble is, I'm not advancing much. I thought that I'd wonder about and see if I could resolve some of the tasks while exploring. Problem 1 : I seem to hit the weight limit often, then have to go back to Moira to sell some stuff. Problem 2 : I walk/run over a mine and have to sleep for a bit to get health back - not finding too many stimpacks anymore. Problem 3 : I've got even more tasks.

I don't want to go through this thread searching for answers because I'm bound to spoil the adventure, but I do have a couple of questions (apologies if they've been answered before).

I seem to have lots and lots of different weapons and ammo. Do I really need to keep hold of so much? I've got combat shotgun, sniper rifle, hunting rifle, 10mm pistol, Chinese pistol, Chinese assault rifle, rocket launcher, mini-nuke launcher, flamer, laser pistol and some other stuff. I've got ammo for everything. Loads of ammo. What should I keep?

I suppose that I could stock stuff in a locked storeroom that I found the key for, but is this more secure than buying my own place? How does one buy their own place?

How does one get more markers?

IIRC, I'm only level 4 (Defender). Do these questions get answered when I level up?
( Last edited by mattyb; Jul 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Problem 1 : I seem to hit the weight limit often, then have to go back to Moira to sell some stuff.
This can be solved by taking a medication for 'pack-rat-itis.' Really though it's tough to know what you need at such an early stage in the game, you haven't yet begun to narrow your skill set down so it can be confusing what to keep. You might find yourself wishing you saved 'Item A' instead of selling it when later in the game you get the opportunity to build your own weapons. Keep all ammo, since it weighs nothing, and can add up to hundreds and hundreds of caps later on.

Problem 2 : I walk/run over a mine and have to sleep for a bit to get health back - not finding too many stimpacks anymore.
Stimpacks are very plentiful, but you have to search areas for them, which are usually inhabited by foes, which eat at your health. Classic catch-22. If you are nice to Gob (the ghoul working at Moriarty's in Megaton) he'll give you a discount on Stimpacks, otherwise remember where open beds are, really it's the best way to heal anyways.

Problem 3 : I've got even more tasks.
Forget about most of them for now, for me the most rewarding parts of the game involved simply wandering and discovering. Quests are one thing that will EAT up your stimpacks because most quests involve numerous bad-guy-infested-areas. Doing Moira's quest is the best for starting off in the game. You'll get sent to useful areas, get useful items, and get special stuff from Moira too.

I seem to have lots and lots of different weapons and ammo. Do I really need to keep hold of so much? I've got combat shotgun, sniper rifle, hunting rifle, 10mm pistol, Chinese pistol, Chinese assault rifle, rocket launcher, mini-nuke launcher, flamer, laser pistol and some other stuff. I've got ammo for everything. Loads of ammo. What should I keep?
Depends what stats you will eventually choose to go with. I myself stay away from Big Guns, which allowed for selling of every Missile I came upon (big cash). I kept the Fat Man (mini nuke launcher) for encounters with extremely difficult enemies, otherwise I stored it. Sh!t-can the pistols, they're useless except for the Scoped 44 Magnum. Use the Hunting Rifle as much as you can since they're everywhere making for easy repairs.

I suppose that I could stock stuff in a locked storeroom that I found the key for, but is this more secure than buying my own place? How does one buy their own place?
You cannot buy any place in the Wasteland, only two 'homes' exist and you can only get them through one quest (evil/good nets you either home) and even then one house isn't guaranteed. I stored my stuff in a house in Minefield that has a safe upstairs, never lost anything, course that was before I got the real home. However, if you would like some piece of mind I suggest reading up online about the quest "The Power of the Atom" and how to obtain either house should be located therein, I know it's cheating, but it makes the game a lot more enjoyable when you have somewhere to call your own.

How does one get more markers?
Wandering, there are over 130 locations on the map, head in one direction and watch the compass for the little triangle, which will lead you to undiscovered locations nearby.

Do these questions get answered when I level up?
Most of them come over time, and that's one thing this game takes....time. Just slim down your inventory to what you actually use, not what you might use in 100 years, master sneaking around because a shot on an enemy who is unaware of your presence will always net a 'Sneak Attack Critical Hit' which will do more damage, and just wander around scavenging anything you can get you greasy mitts on. You're pretty much a tiny weakling right now so don't go head-first into super-mutant territory or an area with lots of raiders. Ghouls, Mole Rats, and lone Raiders should be your main targets for building XP and leveling up.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 02:15 PM

Depends what stats you will eventually choose to go with. I myself stay away from Big Guns, which allowed for selling of every Missile I came upon (big cash). I kept the Fat Man (mini nuke launcher) for encounters with extremely difficult enemies, otherwise I stored it. Sh!t-can the pistols, they're useless except for the Scoped 44 Magnum. Use the Hunting Rifle as much as you can since they're everywhere making for easy repairs.
Noted.

Wandering, there are over 130 locations on the map, head in one direction and watch the compass for the little triangle, which will lead you to undiscovered locations nearby.
I mean the markers that you can place, especially for an underground room for example. The only choices that I have to place a marker are leave it alone, move it or remove it.

Most of them come over time, and that's one thing this game takes....time. Just slim down your inventory to what you actually use, not what you might use in 100 years, master sneaking around because a shot on an enemy who is unaware of your presence will always net a 'Sneak Attack Critical Hit' which will do more damage, and just wander around scavenging anything you can get you greasy mitts on. You're pretty much a tiny weakling right now so don't go head-first into super-mutant territory or an area with lots of raiders. Ghouls, Mole Rats, and lone Raiders should be your main targets for building XP and leveling up.
I suppose that I should just be patient. Doesn't seem to be much reward atm. I have a sniper rifle that I'll try to use more.

Cheers for the advice.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:24 PM

I mean the markers that you can place, especially for an underground room for example. The only choices that I have to place a marker are leave it alone, move it or remove it.
Oooooh.... Well, yea, that's it. One marker is all you get unfortunately, which can be a huge PITA when underground.

I suppose that I should just be patient. Doesn't seem to be much reward atm. I have a sniper rifle that I'll try to use more.

Cheers for the advice.
Sniper Rifles degrade very quickly with use, and are actually pretty rare. There is one in good condition in a hollowed-out rock right outside of Megaton, just follow the outer wall and look for suspicious looking rocks. Plus, the 'shaky-zoom' gets better as your small gun skill goes up. Really the Combat Shotgun should get you through any enemy that shrugged off the Hunting Rifle.

There is a special Sniper Rifle, called the Reservist Rifle, that is being used by a hostile character near the western part of the map. It has a x5 critical multiplier, the largest in the game, which means almost every bullet will yield a critical hit for much more damage. Special weapons like this can be found in every weapon class, and can usually be repaired with the non-special versions. But most of them are not easy to obtain.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 02:31 PM

sek, have you played through Fallout 3 with more than one character?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:33 PM

Three of them, in fact. Even by the end of my third run I was still discovering rather large areas I had never seen before.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 03:05 PM

That must have taken months to do !!!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

Let's just say sek has gotten his money's worth.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 03:07 PM

Indeed. I did runs on those characters to get all the bobbleheads, and other assorted achievements as well.

I estimate around 240-260 hours played. The last game I dedicated this much time to was Zelda on the N64.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2009, 07:41 PM

Snagged Fallout 3 weekend of the 4th, when Steam had it on sale for $24.99. I've now gotten all 4 DLCs for the damn thing and have stayed up until Stupid o'clock far too many nights.

Beat Anchorage last night. Now having too much fun with Chinese Stealth Suit + Silenced 10mm pistol. Pitt, here I come....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2009, 07:23 AM

^Jeez I really am slow.

Hint : don't try to pick locks (in Fallout 3) when drunk (in reality).

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2009, 01:29 PM

Break time from Dead Space...
"Mothership Zeta" yesterday. Did a quick download earlier today and played maybe 10 minutes, I'm loving it so far but its a double edged sword (if this is truly the last DLC)

Fatty, any experience yet? I figured you'd be on top of it.

FYI this means you must buy burnout very soon

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 01:33 PM

Aw crap, I totally forgot about this!

Must... get... home...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 02:58 PM

Fatty, any experience yet? I figured you'd be on top of it.

FYI this means you must buy burnout very soon
Good luck with that. Isn't there another Nazi Zombie Map pack for CoD: WaW coming out soon?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2009, 05:44 PM

Hehe, played a little bit of Zeta last night, pretty cool.

...and yes there is another Nazi Zombie map, I'm going to have a go at that before Burnout, plus my money situation isn't exactly in the realm of buying a new game just yet. Also, a 360 owning friend of mine just moved into the area so I'm borrowing games off of him...namely Fifa 09 which is a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 09:36 PM

Tell your friend to go buy Burnout then borrow it from him.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

Finished up Mothership Zeta today, although linear like Operation Anchorage its still a great ride, truthfully all the DLCs are awesome i'll place this in a fourth out of five (IMO Rating)

1. Point Lookout
2. Broken Steel (lvl cap increase helps this one)
3. The Pitt
4. Mothership Zeta
5. Operation Anchorage

Anyone trying for the "Alien Archivist" achievement, make sure to have a save early on to collect all the recordings incase you miss any, with some time spent exploring each area you shouldn't have a problem.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2009, 06:20 PM

Hmmm, my DLC list is a little different than yours.

1. Point Lookout, no question there.
2. Broken Steel
3. Mothership Zeta
4. The Pitt
5. Operation Anchorage

BS gets the second slot only because of the added level cap, the story was so-so IMO. So far I really like Mothership Zeta, the design, the aliens, the weapons, the sometimes brutal alien captive logs*, it's all a fantastic end to what has become one of my favorite games of all time.

* "Why can't I feel my arms? Wha... what are those? Are those my arms!?!"

Classic.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 10:10 PM

our lists are not so different, only one spot flipped but i can attribute that to me being partial to my hometown and putting the pitt up there.

But truthfully if this is the final DLC i can say it has been an amazing run of unforgettable gameplay and this game has put this game into my top 10 all time (top 5? maybe)

EDIT: Helped an "older" gamer tonight ( older?!) early/mid 30's?. Wanted to buy a 360 and get back into gaming after being away since PS1, a testament to this game is that it was my FIRST recommendation for a non multi based game to purchase.

ym_edk22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2009, 02:21 PM

Fallout 3 is a next gen game, its like oblivion only in the future with long ranged fighting(guns) [vats is 4 noobz]. Very addicting, a bit disaapointing that there was no co-op. Hard core oblivion fans will prolly not like this game, because its more of a FPS game like COD, but still with alot of RPG options, this game has many add-ons or DLC (only availabe to the 360 of course), on a scale of 10, I'd give this game a 9/10.

ym_edk22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ym_edk22 View Post
Fallout 3 is a next gen game, its like oblivion only in the future with long ranged fighting(guns) [vats is 4 noobz]. Very addicting, a bit disaapointing that there was no co-op. Hard core oblivion fans will prolly not like this game, because its more of a FPS game like COD, but still with alot of RPG options, this game has many add-ons or DLC (only availabe to the 360 of course), on a scale of 10, I'd give this game a 9/10.

AND HOW CAN I FORGET THE GUNS (FLAMETHROWERS, SWORDS, KNIFES, MINI NUKES, AND AKS', also the best feature of this game is definetly the GORE, horror film types will definetly love this game.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 02:55 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:37 PM

So I missed some logs for the Alien Archivist achievement, going back through to get em all this time...

Forum Links
Forum Rules