Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Sci Fi?

Best Sci Fi?
Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2009, 10:49 PM

Hey all I'm looking for some good science fiction, or in general just REALLY good TV to watch, preferably with a couple seasons.

I've already watched all the star treks when I was younger (And no I don't feel like rewatching and hearing "Reverse the polarity on the deflector" another 300 times in my life)

I'm all caught up on Doctor Who (Well everything since they restarted btw if you're a geek and you haven't watched the revival of Doctor Who what on earth are you waiting for!?)
I've done all of Torchwood
Buffy
Angel
Babylon 5
Jeremiah
I'm all caught up on Dollhouse
Firefly
Far Scape
Jericho
the 4400 (if you haven't watched it, don't bother)

I also loved Pushing Daisies,
Watched the beginning of Heroes and I'm pretty well all caught up on that but I don't know if I want to keep watching it's gotten pretty damned bad.

Any suggestions of honestly good shows would be great it's winter and there's only so much to do in Manitoba

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 10:51 PM

Galactica

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rumor
Dec 22, 2009, 11:04 PM

The X Files.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 11:09 PM

Easy, the new Galactica. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it at least as much as the others.
( Last edited by besson3c; Dec 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 22, 2009, 11:17 PM

I was a holdout, but I finally deleted my Hulu subscription to Heroes. Absolutely no direction, too many side-stories, twists, and sub-plots to be even remotely interesting or engaging anymore.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2009, 11:21 PM

Just stay away from the latest Star Trek movie. The special effects were great, but in one movie they destroyed 90% of the previous Star Trek timeline. The only portion of Star Trek that survived is most of Star Trek Enterprise. All of TOS, ST Next Generation, Voyager, Deepspace Nine and all ST movies are wiped out.

I know, I'm exaggerating, but I hate what they did.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 22, 2009, 11:25 PM

Lost.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Just stay away from the latest Star Trek movie. The special effects were great, but in one movie they destroyed 90% of the previous Star Trek timeline. The only portion of Star Trek that survived is most of Star Trek Enterprise. All of TOS, ST Next Generation, Voyager, Deepspace Nine and all ST movies are wiped out.

Finally someone agrees with me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 11:39 PM

Since nobody mentioned it yet.

Not SciFi, but still good TV:

Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm (you either love it or hate it)

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 11:42 PM

Since Buffy or Angel aren't sci-fi either, I'll recommend Supernatural.

Excellent show, and the two leads are dreamy.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 12:34 AM

Battlestar was good for the first two seasons but I'm done that too

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 12:41 AM

My favourite sci-fi movie of the year was District 9. It came out today on DVD and Blu-ray.

Of course, that was the entire point of the movie.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 12:44 AM

Stargate SG1.
Stargate Atlantis.
Andromeda.
Monk (is good for comedy).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 12:53 AM

One of my roomies was watching and Supernatural seemed interesting... it seems really badly written though... I do confess the guy who plays Dean though... I keep hoping they find an excuse to have his character wear as little clothing as possible.

Cold Warrior
Dec 23, 2009, 12:56 AM

Fringe

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 01:19 AM

Another vote for Supernatural. Though I wish they had hired me for their occult lore, it can be rather painful sometimes.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Andromeda
Heh. Trance used to work in the local bike and snowboard shop when she wasn't doing TV. (This was before Andromeda.) All the sales guys there seemed to have a total crush on her, as they knew her from TV.

It was difficult finding a coherent sales guy in the store when she was around.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 23, 2009, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Fringe
Seconded.

Rumor
Dec 23, 2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Fringe
Damn, that was the show I was trying to think of. Sadly, rumors are around that it is going to be cancelled.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 02:38 AM

Here are two more SciFis canceled before their time.

Threshold
Odyssey 5

Threshold was supposed to run for 3 seasons, almost like a long miniseries. Like Firefly, it got a ton of awards, tons of acclaim, but the network f**ked it up. Odyssey 5 was stuck on an odd time slot on HBO and never got viewers. Another great show.

Here's a not-yet-canceled show. Take that secret government warehouse from Indiana Jones (the one with all those relics and artifacts), add a little steampunk, then make an entire TV show around it. It's fun.

Warehouse 13
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

reader50
Administrator
Dec 23, 2009, 02:41 AM

Not SF, but good storytelling.

Veronica Mars

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 05:26 AM

Earth 2 ! it has all the christian references you need
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 07:13 AM

Sorry, none of these shows beats Space1999.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2009, 09:16 AM

Not SF but fun: Castle.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 09:23 AM

Since you mentioned Pushing Daisies, you should try Wonderfalls which was by the same creator and also stars Lee Pace. It's not Sci-Fi, but very enjoyable.

andi*pandi
Dec 23, 2009, 10:57 AM

If you've finished all the new Who, go back and watch the old Who. That should keep you busy for a while.

No one has yet mentioned Dead Like Me, not really scifi, but you could like.

Also Reaper was fun. Cancelled, but fun.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 12:46 PM

Sanctuary
Stargate Universe
Lost
Eureka

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Seconded.
Thirded.

I was very skeptical at first, but it reminds me of The X-Files version 2.0, even the intro is exactly like The X-Files.

finboy
Dec 23, 2009, 01:20 PM

That's probably a bit much, but I agree -- they wiped out a lot. Why? Because they had to, the franchise is/was dead. Star Trek needed a reboot. This coming from someone who's had meaningful discussions with both James Doohan and Leonard Nimoy back in the old days. They needed something to carry the IDEA of Star Trek forward, not the worn out original. They could only warp around the sun so many times (as Salty pointed out). People can continue to enjoy & rediscover TOS and TNG (so much of the other stuff is formulaic crap anyway) and the rest if they want to. And the IDEA of Star Trek can move forward.

Leaving the Okudas to "consult" on how to make TNG that-much-better in a new better release. Or maybe they can figure out how to sexxy-up the Animated Series.

It's a fun flick, don't miss it.

ON TOPIC:
Don't waste time with Jericho, you'll just be disappointed. Went down that path this time last year, felt hornswoggled.

finboy
Dec 23, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Not SF but fun: Castle.
I really agree with that, but I didn't want to break the topic. Yeah, Castle is fun to watch. Can't wait to get back to the end of Season 1 this weekend. For that matter, Bones isn't bad.

I always though Dr. Reichs was a cutie in person, but she looks nothing like that chick on the show.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 02:11 PM

It's a cartoon aimed at kids, but it has one of the best sci-fi stories written in a long time: Avatar the Last Airbender.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
you should try Wonderfalls which was by the same creator and also stars Lee Pace. It's not Sci-Fi, but very enjoyable.
I thought this show verged on (if not attaining) brilliance.

Setup: a woman who lives in a trailer park works at a gift shop where inanimate representations of animals start talking to her.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Veronica Mars
Yes.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 02:33 PM

Lost is the best sci-fi currently on TV if you ask me. And since we're counting vampire fantasy series like Buffy and Angel, I'm going to say True Blood.

Also, if you liked Pushing Daisies, I totally second Wonderfalls, the previous series from the same creator. It's about a 24-year-old burnout working at a souvenir shop who suddenly hears inanimate objects telling her to do things. It was canceled after like four episodes, but it was really good. I just rewatched all 13 episodes and it was even better than I remembered. (Incidentally, Lee Pace from Pushing Daisies is the main character's brother, and Jewel Staite from Firefly has a major role in several episodes.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Lost is the best sci-fi currently on TV if you ask me. And since we're counting vampire fantasy series like Buffy and Angel, I'm going to say True Blood.
Damn, good call on True Blood.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 03:23 PM

There's a sort of Sci-Fi that I didn't think I'd like, but I loved it and that is Tin Man.

I'm sure many people hated it, but I thought it was fantastic. I need to see the first 20 minutes since I started watching when she first found the tin man.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It's a cartoon aimed at kids, but it has one of the best sci-fi stories written in a long time: Avatar the Last Airbender.
The movie is going to be directed by M. Night Shyamalan. That show is going down in flames. It'll be more spectacular than the Hindenburg. I feel so sorry for the show's fans.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The movie is going to be directed by M. Night Shyamalan. That show is going down in flames. It'll be more spectacular than the Hindenburg. I feel so sorry for the show's fans.
The show is over, but I'm assuming you mean the movie. The trailer looked promising. And considering it's his first movie that is based on other material, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The show is over, but I'm assuming you mean the movie. The trailer looked promising. And considering it's his first movie that is based on other material, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
It would also be his first movie since Unbreakable that didn't devolve into absolute crap by the end. But I suspect olePigeon just means the movie will ruin the show for people.
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2009, 05:20 AM

He'll make it suck. I guarantee it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2009, 08:43 AM

Another one with vampires, Being Human. The second series is on soon in the UK, no idea if its been on BBC America or DVD over there. Its getting the American remake treatment though. Its about three people who share a flat together, a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost, trying to fit into society as humans.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Another one with vampires, Being Human. The second series is on soon in the UK, no idea if its been on BBC America or DVD over there. Its getting the American remake treatment though. Its about three people who share a flat together, a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost, trying to fit into society as humans.
Did you like the show much, though? I liked Lenora Crichlow, but the series as a whole felt a little blah. The only episode that stands out in my memory is where they mistake the vampire for a pedophile.
Chuck
___

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2009, 03:55 PM

And, why is that so bad?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
And, why is that so bad?
The point was to"wipe out" all of that and give writers a fresh canvas to work with. That was painfully obvious from the beginning of the film-the universe we start out in is definitely not the one ST fans were used to. So a lot of ground that has already been covered won't come up at all (a huge complaint about Enterprise was that they were writing back story but that it wasn't "right" - meaning that it wasn't what a lot of people wanted to see), and a lot of things that happened in "the future" would necessarily be very different and thus fodder for fresh stories.

It wasn't "stuck in low budget network TV" Star Trek. Which today is a Very Good Thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The point was to"wipe out" all of that and give writers a fresh canvas to work with.
And, it's not like the previous history no longer exists. Events in the previous history led to the events that resulted in this new, alternate history. The episodes still exist and they're still entertaining.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2009, 03:16 PM

Also not SciFi, but I think appeals to SciFi types: The Mentalist. Season 2 has been particularly good so far.

Speaking of Doctor Who, I don’t want Tennant to die! Although I’m really looking forward to Moffat being head writer.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2009, 03:18 PM

What they couldn't come up with a new Sci-Fi series? Something totally new?
(In reference to Star Trek 2009 moive)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2009, 03:21 PM

Yeah I do like the Mentalist too. I've just watched the first of the Doctor Who two parter, the big finish is on New Years Day. Its a good one. I'm not spoiling anything here, but there is one scene with the Doctor and Wilf in a cafe, and it is brilliant .

Edit: Yesterday I also saw an animated Doctor Who on the childrens BBC channel, and it was pretty good too. It was based around 50's USA, around an Area 51 type place. The Doctor and his 'temporary companion' were stuck in an underground lab, and it seemed there was no way to get out, Doctor, not worried at all, says its all fine ant they'll get out easily. The woman's confused and then the Doctor says
"Oh hang on, this is the 50's, so you haven't seen Alien, or Die Hard, come to think of it, Aliens, and Die Hard 2, and Die Hard 3.... anyway, its OK, we can get out through the ventilation shafts!"
I liked the references, and wondered why this was tucked away on the childrens channel. The animation was half way between 3D and cartoon, kind of like the Team Fortress 2 game.
( Last edited by ajprice; Dec 25, 2009 at 03:32 PM. )

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2009, 02:11 AM

I've already seen all of Trueblood... which for the record is basically vampire porn... I mainly watch it for Jason hehehe... (not that I'm... into... vampires...)

I'll check out wonderfalls that sounds fun to watch.

And Avatar the last airbender was great... oh and I've already watched all of Dexter... damn... I watch a lot of TV since I'm not in college anymore...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2009, 02:23 PM

Found a bit more about the Doctor Who animation, its a one off, not a series, and its called Dreamland. originally shown as a series of shorts, it recently got put together and shown as one, which is what I saw the other day.

Dreamland (Doctor Who) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2009, 02:27 PM

Will some of you guys be watching Caprica in January? Salty?

Forum Links
Forum Rules