Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple User Internet Settings?

Multiple User Internet Settings?
scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 03:32 PM

hello all:

when setting up multiple users, consider this scenario:

i have internet access to "telecommute" to work using specific settings for the Remote Access, Internet, and TCP/IP control panels.

my son has AOL for chatting and emailing friends. using this setup, he also needs specific settings for Remote Access, Internet, and TCP/IP.

how do i set up a login account for me and my son and automatically have access to our own internet dail-up settings. as owner, i can setup all control panels and make changes to which configuration is used for internet access. however, my son's account will not have access and can only dial up using the settings left active when the owner logged out.

it seems that when creating a user account, a preferences folder is setup for that user with TCP/IP, Remote Access, and Internet prefs files, however, when connecting thru Remote Access, the connection is made thru the preferences in the owner's account.

is there any way to run a script in the user's Startup Items folder that could run in owner priveledge mode and reset the dail-up preferences for the user loggin in?

without a feature like this, what is the point of having multiple users? especially in a familial setting where multiple users would need to dial up different services.

scott
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 1999, 07:27 PM

You need to go into the Multi user control Panel and creat a new user. Then you click on the user and click open. Then click on the arrow to Show Setup details and you can set it up so that the user can only access what you want him/her to. You can choose the apps you want them to use as well as the media you want them to access. You also want to choose limited where it says Kind of User account.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

scottnichol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 1999, 08:27 PM

i tried typoon's suggestion, but this did not work as well. i setup the other account as a limited user, in the available applications i just chose "select all" and under the Priveleges i selected "Control Panesl", so there would be access to the remote access, tcp/ip and internet control panels.

however, after logging in under that account, i still get an access privelege denied error when attempting to open the remote access control panel.

any other ideas?
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules