Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 12 BIG errors

12 BIG errors
ppps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 06:10 PM

I have found some pretty bad errors in OS9. Some are new, some are just not fixed from older versions. How much do these errors interfere with your daily usage? All comments are welcome.

1. Sherlock: Select "Search for Applications", enter some words, select them all and press delete - a search will still try to find applications with your deleted words
2. Remote Access Control Strip: Select "Connect", wait five seconds, then select "open remote access" on the strip - the connection process gets stuck often
3. Multiple Users - Panels view: Clicking an item sometimes opens a new panel, sometimes the new content just gets displayed inside an old panel - confusing for many people
4. Network browser: holds the whole system at startup and certain tasks
5. Network browser: The command "add neighborhood" can't be undone (the new item cannot be selected and deleted) - one has to find a folder called "favorites" an delete it there
6. Network browser: Can be used as a FTP client, but crashes often
7. Network browser: When used as an FTP client, the interface is nearly identical to a finder window, but not exactly, which will confuse many people
8. Quicktime: Player doesn't react like macintosh windows normally do - will confuse people
9. Quicktime: When starting a live stream, QT Player often stops the whole system for a short period of time

10. Sherlock: Windows don't look and react like macintosh windows normally do - will confuse people
11. Multiple Users: Folder access rights can be set - but only if (network-)file sharing is turned on - confusing
12. Location Manager: The presence of two location popup-menus (current location and edit location) confuses: If I change my modem settings, which location will it affect?
13. Highlighting anti-aliased Text with a strong color (eg. deep blue) results in bad white lines around every character - just looks unpretty

[This message has been edited by ppps (edited 10-24-1999).]

scott
Oct 24, 1999, 07:36 PM

Sherlock: Select "Search for Applications", enter some words, select them all and press delete - a search will still try to find applications with your deleted words

Is this really a "big" error? If you clear all words, then type in new words, it take the new ones (exactly as it should). Why would you want to search for an application with no name? I suppose it should probably not allow a search if the box is empty.

Network browser: holds the whole system at startup and certain tasks

The Network Browser is an application. As such, it seems unlikely that it can slow things down at startup. There are, however, networking test and searches (DHCP, NetBoot) that take place at startup. It does not, however, seem to call GetNextEvent() often enough -- sucks up too much CPU time in the background when active.

Network browser: The command "add neighborhood" can't be undone (the new item cannot be selected and deleted) - one has to find a folder called "favorites" an delete it there

Actually, in Network Browser, click on the Favorites icon (Bookmarked Folder), and choose "Remove From Favorites...". I agree it would be more elegant to drag it from Network Browser to the trash or something, though.

Network browser: Can be used as a FTP client, but crashes often

Hasn't crashed on me so far, but I haven't done a lot of FTP transfers. I think this feature is very cool, BTW. Great move on Apple's part. They just need to get it to monopolize CPU cycles a bit less.

Quicktime: Player doesn't react like macintosh windows normally do - will confuse people

This is an argument that has had a healthy run, but in the end, I have yet to find anybody that is genuinely confused by it. I think it's nice to make entertainment apps (like QT player) a bit more fun. The ultimate solution would be to make the interface user-selectable.

I don't think the brushed metal appearance belongs on Sherlock 2, though.

Everything else I either agree with or haven't used yet so can't comment on it. All are purely my opinions, of course.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

[This message has been edited by scott (edited 10-24-1999).]

ppps  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 1999, 05:39 AM

Hi Scott,

Why would you want to search for an application with no name?
Well, maybe I just want to search for all applications. It works basically, but only if you don't enter anything from the start... strange... :-)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 1999, 09:39 PM

Those 2 things about QT and Sherlock I'm sure that a little Resedit could fix the problem
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

scott
Oct 26, 1999, 03:23 AM

Those 2 things about QT and Sherlock I'm sure that a little Resedit could fix the problem
I wouldn't recommend that unless you're into instability and unpredictable application behavior. I'm not even really sure it's possible, for that matter.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 1999, 03:58 AM

have done it to the QTPlayer... gave it the proper 'window widgets'...

not a problem, and 'ResEdits' are all over my Mac which is a dream, it is stable stable stable running OS 8.6 (G3 450MHz beige rev2 minitower)

ResEdit is one of the best things about a Mac, and it is not hard nor dangerous IF you do a two things as a precaution:

ALWAYS ALWAYS use ResEdit on a copy of whatever file you wish to modify.

AlWAYS ALWAYS have your HD backed up, OR at least your most important business/personal data.

That said, I have never had anything go_seriously_wrong with my Mac(s) because of ResEdit modifications of various resources, have never lost any data, and as I said, my Mac is a rock. The only bad thing that has happened is maybe one or two edits that did not work for reasons I can't recall and I can't recall a crash or a freeze because of a ResEdit modification.

Have a look at some great edits: http://www.ResExcellence.com/previous_edits.shtml

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-26-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules