Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 Problems

Mac OS 9 Problems
TonyB1
Oct 13, 1999, 01:29 PM

Has anyone had this problem yet? When I boot up off the Mac OS 9 CD, it wants to re-initialize my hard drive (8GB in 4 2GB partitions). I said no and restarted into the Mac OS 8.5 on my bard drive, I backed everything up and then restarted back into the Mac OS 9 CD. I Let it re-init my hard drive, it worked for a while, froze and then I restarted from my hard drive and my hard drive wasn't touched....
Any ideas, Tony

TonyB1
Oct 14, 1999, 12:36 PM

Well if anyone's interested. I found the problem. Its my CD-ROM reader. I put the OS 9 CD in my SCSI CD-ROM Burner and booted up off of that, works just like its supposed to. Now I've got to call Apple Care Support and get this G3 off to get fixed.
Thanks, Tony

TonyB1
Oct 14, 1999, 06:08 PM

Well, more of an update after being on the phone with Apple (and they were very helpful) The guy suggested reseting the PRAM, already did that more than once... However he said to do it and then immediatly boot up off of the CD. Well it worked, I can now access the CDs as I'm supposed to.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 1999, 03:05 AM

Tony,

Interesting. I had the same problem - booting off the Mac OS 9 CD wanted to reinitialize my HD (beige G3/300). I ended up installing from the CD booting off the hard drive as usual.

I'll try resetting PRAM to see if it works for me.

Thanks!
Frank

Forum Links
Forum Rules