Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 89)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 03:42 AM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
well, as a distraction to the news of Micro$oft buying Minecraft...

so far the new server is being a giant pain for me. The issue seems to be the particular mix of mods... when something works on the server, it crashes the client. tweak here, mod there and it works on the client and crashes the server. it's definitely becoming a 'two steps forward, one step back' scenario, which is annoying...

So I've decided to pose a question: is there a stock Technic pack folks would want to play around in while I continue to fight my way though this 'two steps forward, one step back' madness?

cycl0pse
Maybe something silly OP like Attack of the B-Team since it will be relatively short lived.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Now show it without the 8 hr render using a 3d modeling tool and fance shaders, oh also don't do it in creative

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Maybe something silly OP like Attack of the B-Team since it will be relatively short lived.
Seconded

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 18, 2014, 01:25 PM

Motion Carries. I'll get it setup tonight so we can mess around.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2014, 01:57 PM

But I have to get my nephew a b-day present for his party this weekend.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 18, 2014, 02:35 PM

Trust me... at the rate my schedule is going, saying 'I'll have it done for the weekend" is the equivalent of saying "I might get it done by Halloween"

I don't mean for it to happen that way, but Minecraft is a distant second to work giving me the old '... just one more thing...'

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2014, 02:38 PM

get him a minecraft account, done!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 AM

He's still in diapers. Almost though, maybe in a few more depending.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 19, 2014, 10:01 AM

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2014, 02:16 PM

My son prefers the enderman. My daughter has a mini-mooshroom.

B Team sounds fun!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 23, 2014, 03:27 PM

(note to self: label circuit breaker better)

When remodeling the basement, don't kill the server power... and ignore the UPS beeping...

Server will be up later. that is all.

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 24, 2014, 08:14 AM

polyphemus server is up now. setting up the AotBT. will have settings available soon.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 02:04 PM

Just realized B Team has Galacticraft...

It's space-race time!

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2014, 01:23 PM

with dinosaurs!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2014, 11:03 PM

More progress made

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2014, 05:19 PM

That's a lot of terrain to clear by hand.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2014, 06:52 PM

3/4 of it so far was water. As for the rest, well you can see the mob grinder exposed there, gunpowder has its uses.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2014, 10:23 AM

you have a ton of gunpowder. Let fireworks manufacture commence.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2014, 04:01 PM

Minecraft for XBox releases Dr. Who Skin pack:

Hmmph, my Sarah Jane is much better, with headwrap, eldrad ring, and all. :/

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2014, 08:03 PM

I was doing some fiddling to see how hard it was to add mods to 1.7.10 with the new launcher. (Easy) So stuck some in a started a test world. This may look a little bit familiar.

andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2014, 03:36 PM

The machinery does not ring a bell.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2014, 04:46 PM

I feel like that's a tekkit setup from a while back.

What mod(s) are those pipes, machines and blue wire from?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2014, 08:41 PM

That's Blue Power pipes, wiring, and blocks. Specifically transposers and deployers. Those are milk buckets in the pipes coming down from the poor cow and empty buckets cycling back up from the Project E energy condenser. It's a milking machine capable of generating 4k EMC/s if it wan't buggy.

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2014, 09:21 PM

ah.

Just spent an hour trying to install Fossils and Archeology and connect to another friend's server. What a Royal PITA just searching for clean modpack downloads, different versions from 1.47 to 1.7.1 (needing 1.6.4, natch) landing on spamware adridden sites, 5 different technicpacks, manually loading forge, BAH. It never did work, although singleplayer was fine. GAH.

C or blaze, I appreciate the nice packs you've setup.

Also, gonna leave this here:

Microsoft Talks Minecraft Buyout, Possibility of Minecraft 2 - GameSpot

Minecraft 2? Um, why? isn't that what all these mods are? I always thought of Minecraft as a game that would never be finished. Always adding features. Of course, no other game is like that.

And minecraft movie... well, if the lego movie can happen, I suppose anything is possible...

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2014, 11:33 PM

Let's talk servers... for Christmas I was thinking of setting up a small server for my son and his friends, 10-20. I looked into Realms as the easiest, but although they have lots of fun maps, there are no modpacks, and he wants to mess with those. It's also expensive at ~$12/mo. The minecraft forums had some good threads with cheaper solutions, but I got overwhelmed with choices and such.

Anyone use any of the paid services? Is it easier than I think to set something up for free?

Small free/cheap - Hosting Requests - Minecraft Server Hosting - Servers - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum

these guys have a $5 option that looks promising...
Shopping Cart - Lemon Cube Hosting

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2014, 11:10 PM

I haven't tried any services, I'm self hosting.

The vanilla world takes 1.1Gb without counting backups.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 19, 2014, 12:11 PM

Andi,
Like Blaze I self-host the server. My only experience with site hosting has been for web pages.

That said, I'd like to expand on what Blaze said. If you want hosting space for Minecraft he nailed the vanilla space requirements. Modified, it can eat space like Pac Man. Example, Polyphemus is hovering around 7GB, not counting backups. That does include some dump errors and the like. My point is, plan on at least 10GB of space for a modded Minecraft, just to be on the safe side. (this does not include OS files and the like, as with a hosting solution all they care about is the application)

Now for CPU. In a virtual hosting environment, Minecraft really doesn't need a bunch of processing power. I run 4 virtual CPUs for Polyphemus. I could throw more at it, but we really didn't see much speed improvement when I did. Truthfully, HD speed and memory are much more relevant.

As for memory, Polyphemus eats 5GB right now, but it could easily absorb more. The bigger issue is how well Java is setup to manage the memory. Poor Java settings cause most of the server issues. It's an art as much as a science. When you get there I'll be more than happy to dump some knowledge on you.

Finally, let's talk bandwidth. The biggest limitation of self-hosting is how big a pipe you have. I'm running FIOS with the 50/25 plan, meaning 50MB download and 25MB upload. That's plenty for up to 20-30 users. A typical DSL line running 3/1.5 is not going to host many, maybe 3-4 tops. Off-site hosting eliminates this issue, as most servers are hooked into a data center with a 10GB fiber network.

Looking at the Lemon Cube hosting, I think the $5 option is a bit light for modded Minecraft. 1GB memory will do great for vanilla, but it will get crushed by Railcraft, let alone Twilight Forest. I won't even discuss Mystcraft (which eats RAM like a half dozen Pac Mans!) I think for any Mods the lowest I'd go is the $10/month option giving you 2GB RAM. One thing I'm not sure about is HD space. They don't mention any limitations but I'd ask before pulling the trigger.

I'm hoping to get time to tinker with my server. One thing I really want to do is switch from a windows host to a linux host. Also, I really want to beef up my hard drive speeds. (Maybe working with VDi at work is rubbing off on me... regardless). If / when I get rolling with this, I might be able to setup a playground for you to remote into and tinker with. Get your feet wet, as it were. Setting up a server can be a lot of trial/error with the mods. Hate to see you spend money and learn it won't do what you hope it does.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2014, 04:31 PM

Updated the vanilla server to 1.8.1
Made a little more progress on the dome. 8 more layers on the bottom of the center to go.
If you compare the right to the left I found a way to hide the torches behind the snow.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2014, 10:32 PM

I've done some grinding in the nether for something that should make things go a little quicker.

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2015, 05:45 PM

Interesting!

I haven't logged in for a while... although I did get my son a modding manual so will have to get back to that server situation at some point.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2015, 04:37 PM

I'll have a new PC within two or three weeks, and would like to look into chipping in with the server.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2015, 12:37 PM

I still haven't gone to the end and killed the dragon on the vanilla server. I have found and secured the portal. We did a small group event on the modded server when we killed it.

andi*pandi
Feb 21, 2015, 05:59 PM

is polythemis down for the count? I haven't been on in a long time, after updating the technic launcher it will not load polythemis.

Off to hope blazeworld is up, I have a need to build/dig/explode.

eta: nice beacon, blaze.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 21, 2015 at 06:36 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2015, 06:36 PM

Vanilla server is up, I randomly signed in the other day and built a couple things.

No idea about about the modded server, cycl0pse has been quite silent as of late.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 21, 2015, 09:19 PM

Yes, I have been a bit quiet of late. Work's been busy, if interesting, and WOT Blitz is rather addictive. Regardless, about Polyphemus:

With the extreme cold we're having here in PA, the server kept throwing cold alarms from the basement. I took the server down for a bit because of the cold. Now, with it down, I decided it might be time for a change

I have a smaller server I've been wanting to test as a Minecraft server... smaller, less power consumption, less noise, not affected by cold, etc etc. I"m in the process of setting it up now. If all goes well, I'll have Polyphemus back up later tonight. OR I might give some thought to updating the modpack a bit. decisions, decisions...

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2015, 11:28 AM

I think I have a better approach for dealing with the remaining wet portion of the outer wall.

Feel free to take gunpowder but not sand

I've been fiddling around on a abbreviated version of FTB infinity. I find bioms-a-plenty and forestry do horrible things to the client FPS unless you're running on serious hardware which my MacPro isn't anymore.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2015, 03:54 PM

Yeah I tried to mess around in a new FTB modpack and my FPS was in the single digits, even on tiny draw distance.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 22, 2015, 08:52 PM

so I'm messing around with MineOS and so far it's a pretty neat package. Debian per-optimized under Turnkey for Minecraft. Still getting everything tweaked out, but I suspect this may work better than my virtual server even with less hardware specs. Was hoping to have it up today but I'm having to learn the management interface.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2015, 10:04 PM

OOOooooo

I have a decent amount of free time coming up, lemme know if you need someone to log on and give the new server a test.

andi*pandi
Feb 23, 2015, 02:01 PM

sounds very cool.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 23, 2015, 04:21 PM

quick update:
well, after some Java tweaking and more than a few doses of ibuprofen (grumble) I'm finally able to get moving on this! The hardest part so far has been learning the MineOS web interface, but now that I'm getting more versed in it I should have a public test server up later today. I decided to NOT load up the existing Polyphemus on this, for several reasons:
1- I found that load-out to be a bit stale of late and this is a good a time as any to change things up.
2- As noted by Blaze, the biggest killer of any server is the additional biome generators, so I'm forgoing it for something... different. (we'll see how this works)
3- I think I loaded too many 'make it easy' mods into Polyphemus and that killed processor cycles. Nothing slows down the server like a chunk loaded quarry eating away at a chunk. So I'm going to try and limit that without making it too boring.
4- I miss certain mods that Polyphemus lacked, so I'm going to either resurrect them or add new ones with similar features.

I see that forge has a 1.8 version now, but not many mods are ready for it yet so I going with 1.7.10 for the time being. Sadly, Dimensional Doors is not stable beyond 1.6.4 (and I doubt it will be anytime soon) but I may have found some cool replacements for it's better features. We'll see how it goes. I'm also going to forgo any mod that kills major cycles, at least for now. That means no Mystcraft, Twilight Forest, or similar... for now. I suspect that part of the slowdown was not processor or memory related, but I/O with the hard drive. So the test box has a SSD drive in it, just for kicks (he he he). If my suspicion is right, it's easy enough to add either of those mods.

Finally, I should be able to set this server up so others can remote manage it (all the management tools are web interfaces. If that works out I'll open it up for a few people to monitor and work with. That way if I go 'dark' for a bit it doesn't stagnate.

The one thing holding me back right now is the lack of a web server. When I took down the big server my web server went with it. I'm going to see if I can add one to the MineOS server... if not I may setup a quick virtual on my desktop just to keep things rolling. The only thing I need it for is to make the distribution easier. I really don't want to fire up the monster again until I can get it's noise level and power consumption under control.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2015, 07:39 PM

The ender quarry in extra utilities will at most load 2 chunks as it runs. And by default it replaces everything with dirt so no giant holes full of water and lighting updates. He was thinking about lag when he wrote it, unlike buildcraft quarry where multiplayer and chunkloaders weren't really a thing at the time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2015, 08:37 PM

Extra Utilities is an excellent choice.

As long as Tinker's is there I'm a happy guy.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 24, 2015, 12:22 PM

Don't worry, tinker's will be there... just maybe not in the first test build. I'm struggling with a web server right now but once that's out of the way I'll have a test up for a week or so to make sure this is going to work for us before loading it up with mods.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 25, 2015, 05:13 PM

Baby steps... finally got a basic web server running so I can host graphics and zip files again. Yay. Now for more serious package testing. More to follow...

Can someone post me some links to the download for that Extra Utilities MOD (and any dependents)? Sure, I can Google it, but when I get home tonight i'll be a tad pressed for time and would rather just have an easy clicky-click to grab it. I already have updates of just about everything else I want to try out.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2015, 05:16 PM

bstges
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2015, 09:00 AM

Any updates about minecraft servers, after 1.8.3 nothing new about the game, maybe after Minecon.
( Last edited by bstges; Mar 23, 2015 at 09:09 PM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 4, 2015, 10:02 AM

Aside from them buying Minecraft a few months ago? Nope.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 6, 2015, 03:46 PM

A Rebirth is coming...

Code:
1.7.10-Pistronics2-v0.5.2.jar ArchimedesShips-1.7.1.jar backpack-2.0.1-1.7.x.jar BetterStorage-1.7.10-0.12.0.124.jar BiblioCraft[v1.9.1][MC1.7.10].jar boilerplate-1.7.10-3.0.6.jar Carpenter's Blocks v3.3.5 - MC 1.7.10.jar Chisel2-2.3.7.34.jar chocolateQuest-1.7.10-1.0.jar CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.4.29-universal.jar ColourfulPortals-1.4.2_for_1.7.X.jar compactmachines-1.7.10-1.17.jar connectedglass-59.0.2.jar dimensionalPockets-0.10.4.jar DragonAPI 1.7.10 V4c.jar DragonMounts-r41-1.7.10.jar dungeonpack-1.7.10-1.0.jar EnchantingPlus-1.7.10-3.0.2-d.jar EnderStorage-1.7.10-1.4.5.27-universal.jar EnhancedPortals_1.7.10-universal-3.0.10.jar ExtraButtons-1.7.10.1.jar extrautilities-1.2.2.jar Forge SSP SMP - Rotten Flesh 1.7.2 1.7.10.jar GlowstoneWire-1.7.x-1.0.2.113.jar IGW-Mod-1.7.10-1.1.1-17-universal.jar immibis-core-59.0.7.jar immibis-microblocks-59.0.5.jar ironchest-1.7.10-6.0.62.742-universal.jar Jabba-1.2.1_1.7.10.jar Lantern1.47[1.7.10].jar Mantle-1.7.10-0.3.2.jar MobiusCore-1.2.3_1.7.10.jar natura-1.7.10-2.2.0.1.jar newdawn-1710.1.0.jar NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.3.74-universal.jar ObsidianBoat-1.7.10-1.3.2.jar ObsidiPlates-1.7.10-universal-3.0.0.18.jar OmnisCore-0.0.5.jar Opis-1.2.3_1.7.10.jar Railcraft_1.7.10-9.5.0.0.jar redlogic-59.1.9.jar roadblock-1.7.10-2.1.4.jar roguelike-1.7.10-1.3.6.jar RotaryCraft 1.7.10 V4c.jar Ruins-1.7.10.zip runicdungeons-1.0.4.jar Slabcraftmod 1.7 - 1.7.10 Forge.jar Staircraftmod 1.7 - 1.7.10 Forge.jar steamcraft2-1.7.10-B3.6.jar TConstruct-1.7.10-1.8.2a.jar TorchLeversV1.4.1.jar VanillaPlus-1.7.10-1.4.4.jar [1.7.10] Aesthetics v1.0.0.jar [1.7.10] Fusion v1.5.2.jar [1.7.10] Netherrocks v1.2.3.jar [1.7.10] SimpleCore API v1.0.3.jar [1.7.10] SimpleOres 2 v1.5.2.jar [1.7.10]ArmorStatusHUD-client-1.28.jar [1.7.10]DamageIndicatorsMod-3.2.3.jar [1.7.10]DirectionHUD-client-1.24.jar
I have a server running internally and once I get a Technic installer made for it I'll make it public for testing. I suspect we may need to cut down on some of these MODS for performance, so let me know what you think of the list. I still have to stress test the server but that's hard to do with one person logging onto it. I hope to have the server exposed by tomorrow morning.

Now that I'm getting familiar with the interface I do like the MineOS based Turnkey Linux server. I think the old Polyphemus server suffered excessive disk I/O delays due to the RAID used. Courtesy of a SSD upgrade this setup should improve upon that, but at the sacrifice of available RAM. Benchmarking says I can run 2-4 normal Minecraft servers on this rig... maybe that will be enough for 1 Polyphemus server

cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2015, 04:30 PM

That looks like fun.

For me, anything beyond NEI, colorful portals, tinkers, and backpack, is gravy. Mmm, dragons... runic dungeons sounds fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules