Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine "Device Removal Error"

Time Machine "Device Removal Error"
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 12:11 AM

I just purchased a new 500GB LaCie external HD and have been having trouble with Time Machine. Every time I wake my iMac up it says "preparing to backup" for a long time and then a device removal error pops up as if I had disconnected the HD. After the error pops up the HD icon leaves the desk top and my computer doesn't recognize that there is anything connected. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 05:40 AM

Is it connected directly or thru a hub??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2008, 09:39 AM

Nope. Its connected directly into the back...

jlseattle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2008, 03:05 PM

I'm getting this to. Posed on apple discussion board.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 5, 2008, 05:38 PM

Is the drive on FireWire or USB? If FireWire, what other FireWire devices do you have connected? What Mac are you on?

Mike JB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 10:35 PM

Had the same problem with a seagate, found out that time machine does not support a plug (USB, Firewire) that goes into "Deep Sleep", 2.0 ?, try another port, I did and mine's working perfect.

Mike

calon9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2009, 12:17 PM

Even though this is an old thread, thought I'd post a reply since this thread popped up when I did a google search for this problem...

I was having this problem for a while and none of the other suggested responses on different boards helped. I then just tried going to the 'energy saver' system preference and turning off the 'put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' while time machine was running.

That did the trick!

If it works for you, then spread the word since a few people seem to be having this issue. It would be good if time machine could automatically handle this issue for certain drives affected, instead of us having to manually turn off/on this system preference option.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 10:17 PM

I'm having the problem too. My last successful backup was yesterday, after which I found the drive unmounted. I wasn't sure why, so I shut my G5 down, powered down the drive, powered back up and rebooted. The drive showed back up. Now, in the middle of preparing a TM backup, I got the device removal error. The drive is connected through eSATA. Console reports a "partially deleted backup, trying again to delete: <date>" and then "unexpected reply from backup server - ignored." I guess I'll reboot, try deleting the backup myself and then trying TM again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules