Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sporadic gibberish in multiple applications

Sporadic gibberish in multiple applications
konakazi
Sep 13, 2004, 07:28 PM

Hello,

I'm suddenly having a strange phenomenon occur. In seemingly random applications, at random times, the regular text is being scrambled. The wrong characters appear so that the effect is like reading some sort of gibberish.

If I copy and paste the text it appears to be fine, which is even more confusing.

So far I've noticed this to happen on some pages in Safari and now in an email from my Mail program.

Has anyone experienced this? It's a little offputting.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 10:15 PM

Look at #6

Font Troubleshooting
http://homepage.mac.com/juhaotava/fo...s/panther.html

Font Cache Cleaner
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22795

If you're having problems on your system with text appearing "garbled", it could be caused by corrupt font cache files. What appears to be happening is that incorrect or corrupted encoding vector information is being used when mapping the character codes as input by your keyboard to the glyphs they represent in the problematic font. You can run Font Cache Cleaner to purge these cache files in an attempt to restore normal behavior. If you use Font Cache Cleaner but the problem remains, then it could be caused by an underlying OS X font-handling bug, by a font conflict, or by a corrupt or less-than-ideal-quality font. Try removing fonts to isolate the problematic fonts that are causing this behavior.
Tiger 10.4.8

konakazi  (op)
Sep 14, 2004, 06:50 AM

Makes sense since I've been copying many fonts over from my old machine, although I had never had any problems on that one.

I'll give the cache clearer a whirl later today. Thanks for the tip!

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by konakazi:
Makes sense since I've been copying many fonts over from my old machine, although I had never had any problems on that one.

I'll give the cache clearer a whirl later today. Thanks for the tip!
if you are using Suitcase, you might also want to disable its automatic activation settings, sometimes other versions of Helvetica can get activated, and then they seem to conflict in some weird way.

konakazi  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 08:20 PM

That was EXACTLY the problem!

I deactivated the Helvitica fonts I had activated in Font Book and BOO YA, the disrupted items seem to be fine.

Thanks so much! I love this board at times like this!

Forum Links
Forum Rules