Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need a good inexpensive keyboard + mouse

Need a good inexpensive keyboard + mouse
Chucktr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

My PowerBook is plugged into an external monitor, keyboard and mouse here at home. But it travels between 2 locations. I'd like to get an inexpensive keyboard and mouse (wired is fine) for the second location so I don't have to lug 'em back and forth.

Advice?

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2008, 12:30 PM

apple aluminum and wired mighty mouse? man i've been thru so many "inexpensive" sets it makes my head spin. i like the wired mighty mouse cause of weight and the scroll ball seems to stay cleaner longer, and the apple keyboards are just grand to type on. i also have the smaller wireless one, but can't recommend. i was in the middle of a presentation and it went wacko on me while i was at the podium and the laptop was nearer a projector box. I thought the wireless would work in that situation but was wrong - ha! Plus, the little wireless is not so nice to type on as it's bigger brother. well, good luck.
FD

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 02:38 PM

Apple aluminum KB.

Logitech mouse.

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated!

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2008, 07:12 PM

I'm looking too.... I like the current keyboard I'm using (the last Mac One) but it is getting pretty old/sticky from years of use.... anyway ---

What about Matias?

http://matias.ca/osxkeyboard/index.php?refID=7

They also have a 149 keyboard that looks like my favorite Mac Keyboard of all time that I kind of want, but not 149 dollar want.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple aluminum KB.

Logitech mouse.
Seconded.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 08:38 PM

What's inexpensive mean? $8? $25? $75?

I like the Apple Aluminum Keyboard and MS Laser Mouse 6000.

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 09:06 PM

"Inexpensive" to me is this:
http://www.macofalltrades.com/Search...oard+and+mouse

It sure *looks* like a good deal, but what do I know...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 03:08 AM

The Apple Al KB is indeed more expensive than the previous white KB form Apple. The white KB wasn't a bad KB, but personally I much prefer the Al KB. It not only feels better to type (to me at least), but its manufacturing quality is clearly superior.

Also, I never liked the fact that on the white KB the USB ports were in the middle looking towards the back. On the Al KB they are at the sides looking outwards like they used to be on older Apple USB KBs. IMHO that's where the ports should be.

triodelover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 11:31 AM

I'm using the Kensington Ci70 wired keyboard and the Ci60 wireless mouse. Advantages of the keyboard are a layout like a laptop with a numeric keypad, 2 USB 2.0 ports, a mini-USB port for a digital camera and hotkeys for eject, Spotlight, default browser and e-mail, iTunes, volume, and play/pause,etc. I got mine from Cost Central for around $41. Mouse was <$25 from the same source. Maybe not a cheap as you wanted, but it's a nice unit and cheaper than an Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse (and I like the Apple KB; the mouse not so much).

Phil

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2008, 12:15 PM

I don't like the latest line-up of Logitech mice. I was in the market for a mouse (my old cheap Logitech's scroll wheel was occasionally acting up). I've had a look at what Logitech was offering: in terms of quality, no problem, but boy, are they ugly. They look like a mouse from a few years ago (clean lines) after they went through rehab and contracted a bad disease. Buttons grow like pimples on these things.

I ended up with a (wired) Mighty Mouse. Not cheap, but I like it. I might have gotten one of Microsoft's mice, but I didn't want so much bling (they have lights in various colors, from viper green to orange).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I might have gotten one of Microsoft's mice, but I didn't want so much bling (they have lights in various colors, from viper green to orange).
Yep. They're absolutely hideous. Next to those even Logitech's newer mice look ok IMHO.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I might have gotten one of Microsoft's mice, but I didn't want so much bling (they have lights in various colors, from viper green to orange).
The MS Laser Mouse 6000 has no lights except for the laser itself (which is pretty hard to see even when you're looking for it, and not visible when the mouse is on a surface).

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2008, 09:22 AM

Logitech is cheap.

OreoCookie
Aug 21, 2008, 09:35 AM

Right, and the quality is fine, too. But the current generation of Logitech mice is so, hmmm, ugly.

@mduell
They didn't have that model. They had the Habu and various Razors with lots of bling, bling. Great mice, I'm sure. (And with lights, I wasn't talking about the laser on the bottom, but their sides that glow in various colors.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules