Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > What is ImageReady?

What is ImageReady?
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 09:57 PM

I was looking through want ads... found this list of required skills:

• Photoshop
• ImageReady
• Illustrator
• QuarkXpress
• CS3

What is ImageReady? I know it's Adobe... but even Adobe doesn't list is as a separate product...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 11:51 PM

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 03:41 AM

I just remember it as the unused ‘Edit in ImageReady’ option in Photoshop save dialogues, never considered it a separate product myself. Maybe that’s why they discontinued it.

From mduell’s linked description, it sounds a bit like ‘Slice and Dice’ by Stone software.

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2008, 03:47 PM

they tried to make it a separate product to compete with fireworks, but just ended up buying macromedia anyhow.

If you know photoshop you should be able to figure it out.

although from that app list, they don't seem to know what CS3 is exactly...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 04:12 PM

If you're in printing, it was handy. You could put up different virtual proofs on your screen using different light temperature, color profiles, and color depth. You could also slice & crop, export a sliced image as separate GIFs or PNGs (handy for web pages), and other things.

I don't think I ever used it more than three times, though. Most of the time I just stayed in Photoshop because I didn't want to learn another program when Photoshop worked.

Also, now that Macromedia is apart of Adobe, it's redundant.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 03:03 AM

Most of the features are still in CS3, buried. And you can't get a manual.

There are some tutorials one the web on how to create web pages with CS3, but don't count on much.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 07:29 PM

Fireworks does most of the tasks (and more) that ImageReady did.

Adobe Creative Suite 3 (CS3) comes in many flavors, depending on what your focus is design or web.

CrimsonRequiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
I was looking through want ads... found this list of required skills:

• Photoshop
• ImageReady
• Illustrator
• QuarkXpress
• CS3

What is ImageReady? I know it's Adobe... but even Adobe doesn't list is as a separate product...
Well I used it mostly for making GIF animations. It's not really discontinued it's just integrated in Photoshop.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Well I used it mostly for making GIF animations. It's not really discontinued it's just integrated in Photoshop.
AFAIK,a lot of functionality of ImageReady was found in PS, and the stuff that was unique to ImageReady is also in Fireworks.

I've seen people cuss adobe up one side and down the other because they dropped ImageReady and others who saw no need of this on their hard drive. I never really used it, so it matters little to me.

CrimsonRequiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
AFAIK,a lot of functionality of ImageReady was found in PS, and the stuff that was unique to ImageReady is also in Fireworks.

I've seen people cuss adobe up one side and down the other because they dropped ImageReady and others who saw no need of this on their hard drive. I never really used it, so it matters little to me.
Yeah but the only thing about Fireworks was that it didn't come free with Photoshop, seeing as it is apart of the web design collection. Usually when you just buy photoshop you also get image ready and you could use it for print and web design applications.

Plus Image ready is not really gone it's in photoshop now, so I don't see why anyone would complain.

On a side note I didn't start using Fireworks until I was more serious about Web design and bought the Web Design package which has Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2008, 03:37 PM

nothing much to add, but i discovered today that the photoshop CS3 extended version came in handy when making animated gifs where the frame source is video. the function of ImageReady was greatly improved in that version of Photoshop. I'll post a tutorial in a moment. Cheers,
coocoo

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules