Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AFP Server iPad App

AFP Server iPad App
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2010, 04:09 AM

A customer of mine has this app on his iPad that lets him connect to mobile me, drop box, or a few other file hosting services, and view/edit documents like pdfs and even word docs, right on his ipad. This is nifty but we're setting up a small mac mini server in his office. So I'm looking for an ipad app that can connect directly to their server, (using good old AFP) and let him view and edit and manipulate his documents directly. Without the need to sync to a cloud. Anyone know of such an app?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2010, 01:29 AM

Say, could a moderator A) delete *this* reply and B) move this thread to the iphone apps forum??

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2010, 02:24 AM

A Pogoplug will share the files on a USB HDD, but not the Mac's.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2010, 02:33 AM

I'm specifically trying to avoid "cloud service". I want him to be able to connect directly to his server, via his ipad.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 03:22 AM

LogMeIn Ignition?

Note that you need an account with them (so no direct connection over a LAN), as well as client software on the target computer for it to work.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2010, 03:43 AM

Again, I'm NOT looking for a cloud service. I'm looking for an app that will let me log into MY OWN Mac file server, using standard AFP.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 05:13 AM

Your OP said sync to the cloud. This isn't a sync service. Likewise, it offers a very thorough solution for manipulating documents, which you also specified in your OP.

If I thought it was a perfect fit I wouldn't have put a question mark after the link and noted how it may not fit your needs. Sheesh. Try and help a guy.

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2010, 07:09 AM

Maybe Air sharing HD will do.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Again, I'm NOT looking for a cloud service. I'm looking for an app that will let me log into MY OWN Mac file server, using standard AFP.
Such an app does not exist right now that I know of. There is one that accesses SMB though - FileBrowser. Apple must not allow apps to access AFP servers for some reason. That's my only explanation, since it would seem trivial to design an app that searches Bonjour for AFP servers and allows you to connect and exchange files (just like the Finder). Back To My Mac could even be supported if Apple wanted.

They've been so anti-file in iOS, but now with apps like Pages and Keynote on iPad, they have to get their act together and figure out a better way to deal with files than emailing or syncing in iTunes.

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2010, 02:17 AM

There is at least one app that will let you browse AFP shares - EZShare Pro. There is a free version you can use to test connectivity, but it looks like you need to buy the full version to download files via AFP shares.

One caveat - it is an iPhone app.
( Last edited by sfederman; Aug 2, 2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added caveat)

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by sfederman View Post
There is at least one app that will let you browse AFP shares - EZShare Pro. There is a free version you can use to test connectivity, but it looks like you need to buy the full version to download files via AFP shares.

One caveat - it is an iPhone app.
I knew all it would take was for me to say such an app does not exist for somebody to finally find one. Nice work.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2010, 02:56 PM

How does that ezshare app let you open files though? Apps don't have file system access right?

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2010, 10:52 PM

How does that ezshare app let you open files though? Apps don't have file system access right?
Correct-it works the same way as DropBox, FileBrowser, GoodReader, and many other apps work - by including features to both fileshare and display documents within the application itself.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2010, 10:55 PM

Ah ok. Has anyone used iWork for iPad? Does it have any such features for connecting to servers etc?

-Q-
Aug 3, 2010, 10:55 AM

Ah ok. Has anyone used iWork for iPad? Does it have any such features for connecting to servers etc?
No. The best it can do is connect to the web/iWorks.com to get docs. You can also use iTunes to get documents on the iPad or email them to yourself but otherwise, file importing is *very* limited.

TGaskin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2010, 02:36 PM

FileBrowser for iPad is the answer. It's 2.99

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 10:56 PM

■ Does NOT support AFP.
It's the answer, unless you actually read it's description.

asxless
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 08:04 PM

I'm specifically trying to avoid "cloud service". I want him to be able to connect directly to his server, via his ipad.
I'm interested in that too. For example, I would like to be able to sit down in an easy chair with an iPad and access, edit, save files stored on the Macs in our wireless LAN just as I now do with my trusty PowerBook. I have no interest in maintaining two copies of financial spreadsheets, etc. Particularly not on a mobile device. And certainly not in the 3rd party 'cloud'.

FWIW the main reason we haven't purchased another iPhone or iPad is their overwhelming emphasis on connectivity to the 3rd party hardware in the cloud, and the near absence of basic connectivity to the Macs in my own 'cloud' -- AKA my wireless LAN (e.g. AFP file sharing, wireless sync, etc.). The current requirement of these wireless wonders (iPhones and iPads) for frequent umbilical connections to the mother ship and iTunes is both ironic and sad. So we are likely to remain a one iPhone, zero iPad family for the foreseeable future.

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules