Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP takes about a minute to respond after waking up

MBP takes about a minute to respond after waking up
Kyros
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2008, 09:19 PM

My girlfriend's MBP, which she got for Christmas, so it's very new, takes at least a minute to respond to any actions (mouseclick, apple-tab, etc) after it wakes up. Occasionally the screen also remains dark until it starts to respond again. When this happens, the light on the latch is on, as it would be if it had darkened the screen automatically after not being used for a while.

After this minute or so, it works perfectly. It responds to each of the actions the user attempted to make in rapid succession and then acts like a perfectly fine computer.

I also recently noticed that the left hand USB port appears to be dead. I don't know if this is related, and it is possible the USB port was dead for a while already, we haven't needed to use it until just now. The sleep problem presented itself a couple of weeks ago. I hope this isn't indicative of a larger logic board based problem or something. Anyway, if anyone experience with this issue or has heard of it, please post. Unfortunately there isn't an Apple store here in Vancouver, but there are several Apple dealers that may be able to help.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Cold Warrior
Feb 2, 2008, 09:24 PM

If a pram and smc reset don't help, and neither does an archive-install, I'd get her to return it right away. Just call Apple. They'll ship her a postage-paid return box. It'll go to a repair center, where they'll get it working again or replace it.

Make sure she backs up everything before sending it in or even if taking it to a local dealer.

MichaelJPR
Feb 9, 2008, 03:14 PM

I had the same problem, and was zapping my pram and all that other stuff, to no avail. Today, I was snooping around the Apple Forum and found a kindred spirit. HE thinks it's the LogiTech control center, which needs updating, and a widget called iStat, that he recommended deleting. I did both, and it helped a lot. It's too soon to say it's fixed, but I'm hopeful.

Good luck.

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2008, 05:54 PM

an archive-install (with a fresh user) should have fixed (by not copying) the logitech control center.

But yes — it has been the cause of many aggravating issues.

Kyros  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2008, 03:37 AM

hmm

She has neither installed.

It seems that the problem gets worse with more tabs in firefox being open (10 or so tabs makes it take more than a minute to respond), I'm going to have her switch to Safari or close Firefox when she sleeps it to see how that goes.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2008, 03:52 AM

That is not normal. It's not something you can fix by switching browsers. Do you see any strange console messages?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2008, 05:32 AM

Are you seeing lots of errors like this in the sysmtem.log file?
Dec 10 03:33:04 ******** kernel[0]: NVDA::setPowerState(0x4737400, 0 -> 2) timed out after 45147 ms
Dec 10 05:19:15 ******** kernel[0]: NVDA:: powerStateWillChangeTo(0x459fc00, NVDA, 2 -> 1) timed out after 10111 ms
Dec 10 05:20:06 ******** kernel[0]: NVDA:: powerStateWillChangeTo(0x472cc00, NVDA, 2 -> 0) timed out after 10103 ms

iStat is a candidate - it has caused strange problems on some systems. But have you also tried re-applying the last OS update? You can manually download the 10.5.1 update form Apple and apply it. In my case that helped get rid of the black screen after wake issues I had on my 2.4 GHz MBP.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2008, 06:12 AM

I'd also check for any network mounts which are on the desktop. If a network mount is not currently on the network and any program or the system tries to use the mount, the system can appear to hang for about a minute before it gives up looking for the mount.

Forum Links
Forum Rules