Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jaycee Dugard: How Could a Person Be Kidnapped in a Backyard for 18 Years?

Jaycee Dugard: How Could a Person Be Kidnapped in a Backyard for 18 Years? (Page 2)
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 06:26 PM

All I know is what's in the article:
"Ms Dugard has received a $20m (£12m) settlement from the state of California, which has acknowledged repeated mistakes in the monitoring of Phillip Garrido."

It seems pretty clear. Even if the "memoir" was mentioned nearby (which it isn't), the state of CA wouldn't be the party paying for the memoir, so...

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2011, 07:07 PM

You are correct, I misread.

However, perhaps the state of California will monitor its sex offenders a bit more closely in future.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 8, 2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
All I know is what's in the article:
"Ms Dugard has received a $20m (£12m) settlement from the state of California, which has acknowledged repeated mistakes in the monitoring of Phillip Garrido."

It seems pretty clear. Even if the "memoir" was mentioned nearby (which it isn't), the state of CA wouldn't be the party paying for the memoir, so...
Americans are broke. I wonder why...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 06:56 AM

Why? Canada gives money to persons wrongfully imprisoned. Don't think there's been anything nearly as high as $20 mil, but then again I don't think there's been such a tragically outrageous story either.

If she hadn't been "given" the money, she would've sued and won it - it seems pretty clear here that Cali is acknowledging outright negligence on their part.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2011, 07:13 AM

The state of California has rightly noted that they "dropped the ball" numerous times in their investigation of many issues involving Jaycee and her kidnappers. The state has apparently decided that it's cheaper to just offer a lot of money (on a personal, not state, scale) to keep Jaycee from suing for a whole lot more. This is actually both a decent acknowledgement of failure to perform the state's basic function of protecting its citizens, and a wise cost-containment move.

What I would like to see as part of such a settlement is at least that same amount of money going to KEEPING IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN. Funding children's' protective services adequately, establishing systems for law enforcement to work with other agencies when investigating "odd" child environments, and so on, would be a good start.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 04:43 AM

There was an interview on the BBC with another kidnap (German I think) victim who was held for over ten years. She even went out to the shops with her kidnapper.

She described how he had convinced her that if she tried to run she would be caught, tortured and killed so she stayed put for all those years. Finally he left the garden gate open while he was mowing the lawn and she went for it. She described how terrifying making the decision to run was, the fear of not making it out of the gate and the potential repercussions. It was quite terrifying to listen too.

Anyway, she ran, made it and ran up the street screaming. The guy is now in jail and she got his house as compensation.

Having heard her talk I can easily see how and why a victim would stay. Once your will to escape is broken it seems difficult to get it back. Anyone who thinks she must have been in any way a willing accomplice is just plain wrong.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 06:26 AM

Yep - and I imagine it would make a huge impact if your kids were involved too....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2011, 08:37 AM

Not with a human, but a relevant illustration of conditioning.

Good Boy

Edit: the link is to a short (one minute) YouTube video. I trimmed the text because of the amp gremlin.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 10, 2011 at 09:11 AM. )

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The state of California has rightly noted that they "dropped the ball" numerous times in their investigation of many issues involving Jaycee and her kidnappers. The state has apparently decided that it's cheaper to just offer a lot of money (on a personal, not state, scale) to keep Jaycee from suing for a whole lot more. This is actually both a decent acknowledgement of failure to perform the state's basic function of protecting its citizens, and a wise cost-containment move.

What I would like to see as part of such a settlement is at least that same amount of money going to KEEPING IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN. Funding children's' protective services adequately, establishing systems for law enforcement to work with other agencies when investigating "odd" child environments, and so on, would be a good start.
Can you pass the "idealistic drink on the rocks"?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
There was an interview on the BBC with another kidnap (German I think) victim who was held for over ten years. She even went out to the shops with her kidnapper.

She described how he had convinced her that if she tried to run she would be caught, tortured and killed so she stayed put for all those years. Finally he left the garden gate open while he was mowing the lawn and she went for it. She described how terrifying making the decision to run was, the fear of not making it out of the gate and the potential repercussions. It was quite terrifying to listen too.

Anyway, she ran, made it and ran up the street screaming. The guy is now in jail and she got his house as compensation.

Having heard her talk I can easily see how and why a victim would stay. Once your will to escape is broken it seems difficult to get it back. Anyone who thinks she must have been in any way a willing accomplice is just plain wrong.
Charles Darwin: survival of the fittest.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Can you pass the "idealistic drink on the rocks"?
Idealism isn't explaining what actually happened, that's called "realism." Idealism is when you piss and moan because the real world doesn't run at 100% efficiency. You're the one standing on that side of the line, friend.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Charles Darwin: survival of the fittest.
Jaycee already made two kids before turning 18. From a darwinian perspective she's fitter than average.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Idealism isn't explaining what actually happened, that's called "realism." Idealism is when you piss and moan because the real world doesn't run at 100% efficiency. You're the one standing on that side of the line, friend.
+1

What a cold, heartless person. It must be tough to be so perfect.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules