Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > photoshop cs3 performance

photoshop cs3 performance
mrdinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 11:23 AM

new mac user from pc...

i want to use photoshop cs3 for my mac pro desk 2.66ghz with 1 gig of ram(upgrade later), all standard from apple...no upgrades yet

can i use a window photoshop cs3 ver and use say paralles or vmware fusion etc or get a cs3 mac version instead?

what is the best performance? anyone tried both methods?
thanks
phat

~bash $
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 11:37 AM

I cannot imagine the parallels/vmware versions running any better than the native mac version.

mrdinh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 11:50 AM

that is what i'm thinking...time to convert all proggie to mac

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2007, 01:44 PM

I just saw an older article on that exact topic. I'm pretty sure that universal binary CS3 worked the best out of everything. I'll try to see if I can find the article.

/edit: ok, it wasn't quite right. It was about CS2 performance, which isn't quite right because in OSX it has to run through rosetta. But if you look at the first graph, you can see that CS2 is about half as fast in parallels as it is in native win XP. Parallels really slows you down.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

motoxpress
Sep 14, 2007, 04:31 PM

You can change your windows license to a mac license with Adobe for very cheap. I have done it several times.

-mx

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 05:18 PM

And add RAM. 1 gig is not enough for the OS and Photoshop CS3. I'd go for 3-4 gb, seriously.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

BelugaShark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 11:49 AM

dont bother running PC PS on Mac, Parallels and vm ware will take-up memory for Windows and the application.
PS will also run slower on these platforms than mac osx. I have no statistics to prove that, but i think it's a given. osx+windowsxp+vmware+photoshop is slower than osx+native photoshop.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 12:56 PM

I guess that you can always run some photoshop test -people seems to like that although I don't get it- both ways:

- as a 'native' Windows app with the help of Apple's free Boot Camp
Apple - Boot Camp

- as an intel friendly OS X app under OS X, of course you'll need the OS X version of PS…

then, you could let these folks know about it…
http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...configuration/

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 08:17 PM

Clearly: PSCS3 the Mac version and add minimum 2x2GB third party RAM.

-Allen Wicks

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 08:22 PM

Well I am running it on my Mac Pro and it is hell fast. Takes about 10-15 seconds to load for the first time and then after it's quicker. It is extremely fast and will blow Windows XP via Parallels out of the water

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2007, 02:25 AM

Hi mrdinh & Tim,

1GB may seem fast compared to what you had before, but upgrading to 3GB or more should multiply it several times.

Please go to this link and do the Photoshop Speed Test with your 1GB, and compare with what others got with 2, 3, 4, 8G. You will be amazed, and I guarantee you will want more RAM. You can triple your speed for less than $100 and 10~20 minutes. You are driving around a Ferrari with economy gas. Please don't forget to post your results there.

http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...configuration/
( Last edited by ninahagen; Sep 29, 2007 at 05:18 AM. )

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the tip mate, I will do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules