Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have to buy MacBook Pro now - 10.5?

Have to buy MacBook Pro now - 10.5?
Felix
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2007, 03:58 AM

Hi

Two reasons why I have to obtain a new MacBook Pro coming week: HD-crash on my Powerbook and special student rebate until Oct 07.

Are you aware whether Apple will offer any upgrade discount for recent buyers upon the release of 10.5 in October or November?

How has it been in the past? I am particularly interested in European / Swiss practices.

Kind regards

Felix
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 04:06 AM

Who knows what apple could do with the release of Leopard. It depends on how much the student rebate is, and how fast you need it.

If it was me, I would gamble and go and buy it now, since the rebate sounds good and no price cuts or deals may be offered on release of 10.5

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2007, 04:13 AM

Yes, I am about to gamble and I am not expecting a clear answer (covered by a personal liability if wrong... ). But has Apple offered such before as when stepping up from 10.3 to 10.4? (like: users who obtained a mac or 10.4 after Date X will be entitled to a rebate, etc.). I will try to negotiate anyway.

Kind regards,

Felix
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2007, 09:14 AM

Buy the computer now. They haven't announced the release date for 10.5; Apple typically provides an upgrade path for people who buy their computers after the announcement, so that angle is out. But the student price for the OS is half the commercial price-that's a pretty significant discount! I'd just plan on spending the money (less than $70) later once Tiger is on the streets.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Felix View Post
Are you aware whether Apple will offer any upgrade discount for recent buyers upon the release of 10.5 in October or November?

How has it been in the past? I am particularly interested in European / Swiss practices.
The only discount Apple has offered in the past is to people who buy a Mac after the release date is announced. Buy today and you'll pay full price for the upgrade.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2007, 10:04 AM

My guess is since the student discount ends on the 7 th then 10.5 will be announced or released on the 8 th or 9 th.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 02:32 PM

lol the new mbp led models are awesome but i can see that u just want a new toy because the hd in the powerbook can be easily replaced. I already took out my hd that came with my se mbp andput in a hitachi travelstar 7k200 in
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 03:51 AM

I am aware of HD replacements as I did so before 4 years ago.

To some extend new toy, to some extend something up to date. My PowerBook had some L2-cache issues recently causing annoying hang-ups. Afterwards it is hard to say whether this was related to a faulty HD (or the HD died on the frequent re-bootings), but I might check out for curiosity.

Is swapping the HD easy on the MBPs?

Felix

OreoCookie
Oct 1, 2007, 06:16 AM

No, much to my disappointment, the harddrive is not a user-replaceable part for ProBooks. You can do it, but it'll void your warranty.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 07:47 AM

Felix, I assume you're talking about the "Projekt Neptun" program. In the past ETH was always able to negotiate an inexpensive update for buyers of the previous Neptun bundle with Apple. Something like 30 Francs for the new ETH Mac OS X DVD. I'd go ahead and buy it now if I were you. 2549 Francs for a 15" MBP with Apple Care is a very nice deal.

The other option is the Poseidon program which runs throughout the entire year for members of Swiss universities and research facilities. They offer ~15% discount (for example the high-end 15" MBP for CHF 2999) off the normal AppleStore prices (and even more on Apple software). Right now their site points to Projekt Neptun, but once Neptun's over (this Friday) it will be back again at http://www.apple.com/chde/poseidon

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks, yes I am talking about Neptun.

The price you are quoting for the highend MBP (CHF 2999) is the one of neptun right now, claimed being a 27 % discount. If Poseidon is 16 % (this is the discount for an individually confidured MBP under Neptun), it would be a higher price later.

Yes, I figured just recently that both Uni and ETH offer specific licences for Mac OS X. I hope these licences switch to 10.5 soon.

Kind regards,

Felix

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 10:47 AM

The Poseidon 2999 price is just the high-end MBP (vs. 3549 standard price). The Neptun price is 2999 too, but that bundle comes with AppleCare so there's you're 27% discount.

The licenses will switch to 10.5 once it is released and ETH/Uni have negotiated a new deal with Apple - that won't take long. You'll certainly be able to get Leopard for well below 100 Francs.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, much to my disappointment, the harddrive is not a user-replaceable part for ProBooks. You can do it, but it'll void your warranty.
But you can pay an authorized repair place to replace your hard drive for you and it won't void the warranty.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
But you can pay an authorized repair place to replace your hard drive for you and it won't void the warranty.
That's absolutely right. Unfortunately depending on where you live that can be quite expensive. While I was staying in Geneva I asked 3 different AASPs what they would charge: best offer was a half an hour of labor for $75. That's quite a lot for a $150 drive. OTOH voiding your warranty can become very expensive too.

OreoCookie
Oct 2, 2007, 03:00 AM

I know, but why spend the money when you could do it yourself? In the MacBook, funny enough, it is a user-replaceable part.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2007, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
In the MacBook, funny enough, it is a user-replaceable part.
Yeah. And hopefully with the next case rev it will become user-replaceable on the MBP too. It's a shame it isn't yet.

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2007, 03:55 AM

I am confident 160 GByte will be fine for the next three years so I won't have void the warranty! (In particular with two ext enclosures at hand.) I will place the order today.

Thanks for the input

Kind regaards,

Felix

Jupeman
Oct 6, 2007, 02:47 PM

Hi

Two reasons why I have to obtain a new MacBook Pro coming week: HD-crash on my Powerbook and special student rebate until Oct 07.

Kind regards

Felix
What are the special rebates through 10/7?
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

schalliol
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
They haven't announced the release date for 10.5; Apple typically provides an upgrade path for people who buy their computers after the announcement, so that angle is out.
I'd argue that Apple announced 10.5, and it certainly announced October to include the date range. For many months, going to Apple - Mac OS X takes you to Leopard.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I'd argue that Apple announced 10.5, and it certainly announced October to include the date range. For many months, going to Apple - Mac OS X takes you to Leopard.
Offering a heavily discounted upgrade for everyone who's purchased a Mac since they tossed up a Leopard web page would fly in the face of history.

I just don't see it happening.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2007, 10:16 AM

Does replacing the HD void the warrantee on just the HD or the whole machine? I'd htink it'd just be the HD. I've taken apart a MBP to test the HD inside on another machine and it wasn't that hard.

AngelaBaby
Oct 10, 2007, 10:41 AM

I wasn't offered anything other than a student rate on my ibook, but was offered a free upgrade when the OS came out later on.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by zaghahzag View Post
Does replacing the HD void the warrantee on just the HD or the whole machine? I'd htink it'd just be the HD.
On other brands (Dell comes to mind)? Just the HD.
On a Mac? The whole thing.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 10, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
I wasn't offered anything other than a student rate on my ibook, but was offered a free upgrade when the OS came out later on.
That's up to the reseller. Apple is very harsh about resellers offering lower than allowed prices, but they don't have a problem with the reseller offering "incentives" like free upgrades and so on. Student price for Tiger is $69, and I expect it to be the same for Leopard, so the resellers aren't losing a lot of money by offering a free upgrade-and they got a sale NOW. That's just good business.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
On a Mac? The whole thing.
A lot of people on this board claim exchanging non-user replaceable parts like a MBP's HDD only voids your warranty if you actually damage something while you do it. Obviously if you have an AASP do it you're covered. And of course the new HDD is not covered by Apple's warranty (but it will come with it own warranty anyway).

So I'd like to know what's the real deal. If you put in a new HDD into your MBP and you do not damage a single thing: Has your warranty really been voided? And is there a clear answer to this or does it depend on the repair center, tech's mood, lunar phase, etc.?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 11, 2007, 08:24 AM

The real deal seems to be that you "don't get caught" voiding your warranty if you do a smooth job of tinkering with the computer's innards. A lack of "warranty void if seal broken" seals leads to that impression. This is an issue of honesty and integrity, and it looks like a lot of people don't mind cheating when it comes to this. Me? I'd pay CompUSA $30 to swap out my MBP's drive for a number of reasons, including: they're an authorized service agent, THEY have to deal with all those tiny screws of all those different types, and if something gets messed up, CompUSA gets to make it right-one way or another. The lengths some people will go to avoid spending a few dollars are just astounding to me...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you put in a new HDD into your MBP and you do not damage a single thing: Has your warranty really been voided? And is there a clear answer to this or does it depend on the repair center, tech's mood, lunar phase, etc.?
The excuse will be that any warranty work you might need will have been cause by you replacing the HDD.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 06:23 PM

A lot of people on this board claim exchanging non-user replaceable parts like a MBP's HDD only voids your warranty if you actually damage something while you do it. Obviously if you have an AASP do it you're covered. And of course the new HDD is not covered by Apple's warranty (but it will come with it own warranty anyway).

So I'd like to know what's the real deal. If you put in a new HDD into your MBP and you do not damage a single thing: Has your warranty really been voided? And is there a clear answer to this or does it depend on the repair center, tech's mood, lunar phase, etc.?
It appears to depend on the individual Apple representative's interpretation of:
b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

(emphasis mine)

I don't think they're going to ding you for upgrading your own hard drive if it's not obvious that you did it yourself and/or the part failing is unrelated to parts that may have been replaced.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 02:58 AM

So basically we can conclude that in principle it will indeed void your warranty. But if you don't damage anything an you get a nice tech, you might just get away with it.

jamito
Oct 16, 2007, 12:33 PM

Hi

Felix
Now that Leopard has been announced, I think you can find your answer. On the apple website (Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Up-to-Date) it says if you bought a computer after Oct 1st you qualify for an upgrade to Leopard. Price is 9.95.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by jamito View Post
Now that Leopard has been announced, I think you can find your answer. On the apple website (Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Up-to-Date) it says if you bought a computer after Oct 1st you qualify for an upgrade to Leopard. Price is 9.95.
Thanks! I found the corresponding link for Swiss customers:

Upgrade in Switzerland

However, if you are student/member of the University Zurich or ETH Zurich check for licences availble.

Regards,

Felix
( Last edited by Felix; Oct 17, 2007 at 03:21 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 03:21 AM

I saw that page too. Have you tried verifying your system yet? I received my latest MBP on Sep 25 and when I entered Sep 25 I got a message saying the date was wrong. I then entered Oct 1 and the page then said my system was now qualified. So what's the deal? I bought the MBP at the AppleStore so they should know that I didn't receive it Oct 1. Are they checking this stuff at all?

[Disclaimer: No I'm not gonna cheat. I actually already ordered Leopard through the edu staff AppleStore. Still, I'm curious.]

Felix  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 03:32 AM

I was lucky. I ordered mine on Oct 2 and it shipped on Oct 3. Just a moment ago I placed the order together with a wireless mighty mouse. Reason is that the campus licence is going to be available after some delay of several weeks as I was informed there.

I don't think you are cheating. In fact I read somewhere (mactechnews.de ?) it was suggested to reach an individual agreement with Apple on the phone for close cases as yours.

Kind regards,

Felix

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 06:02 AM

Well, it's not a close case. It's Sep 25 vs. Oct 1. They have to draw the line somewhere and no matter where there will always be people who just missed it.

I'm simply curious if Apple checks the entries at all and if they have no way of knowing what the purchase date is regardless of what people enter.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 12:18 PM

So basically we can conclude that in principle it will indeed void your warranty. But if you don't damage anything an you get a nice tech, you might just get away with it.
Yes, that's pretty much it. If your own work doesn't look any different than what an authorized repair center's work, then who would know?

I'm saving for a HUGE hard drive for my MBP, but since it isn't really mine until I graduate (long story), I'll be hedging my bets and having an authorized center do the swap. Belt and suspenders techniques are my specialty, so it may be a bit more expensive, my butt won't be hanging out in the wind if something goes wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules