Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need to know before I switch

Need to know before I switch
ESLP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi

I have been thinking of switching my PC Wista Ultimate to iMAC.
Was at the store in Canada and the base price between the 20" and 24" is not to big $300 spread so

here some of the questions that I have

1) The memory is 1 gig does it come in 2 x 512 or 1 x 1024. This is important since I will upgrade it to 2 or 4 gig later on
much easier and $ if their is a free slot
2) Sound, since the iMAC has only a stereo outpout how do you install a surround sound on it
3) Want to run Microsoft office on it, I work at home and most of my work is done with Excel and Word
Can it be run directly from the iMAC OS ( I know there is Parelle and Bootcamp, but can I use it with out them?
4)Should I wait for Leopard or buy it now and update later

I do also plays games on my PC Bioshock (which is a video hog), Company of Heros, I am not into editing, but do at the occasion prepare power point presentation

Now other one here where to buy, Apple store you need to fork your credit card out now and then Bestbuy were you can differ payment for a year.

Also should i take the Applecare or the Bestbuy deal for service

Another thing is that I have a MyBook drive on the PC wonder if I conenct it to the iMac he will see it without any problem

So I sound confused yes I am,

Let me know tks in advance

ESLP

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 08:47 AM

First of all, it is iMac. Not all caps. I'm not quite sure why, but almost everyone gets this wrong even though it's not called that anywhere...

Anyway...

1) RAM is in 1 x 1024 format.
2) No idea.
3) There is a version of Microsoft Office for Mac, called just that in fact. But you cannot ue your Windows version of Office.
4) It is sooo close now, the most you'll wait is 30 days. Wait for Leopard and save $129.
5) Take AppleCare, and I've heard that it is better to buy from Authorized resellers, but not the Apple Store. I don't know about Best Buy, because they are pretty much a Windows store.
6) You should be able to connect the MyBook drive and access it without a problem.

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 08:48 AM

1) The new iMac's come with 1024 MB x1. (Edited)
2) Pretty sure you can't 'install' surround sound on the iMac. External speakers should do the job.
3) Yes, Microsoft have released Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. This means it runs natively on OS X.
4) Depends how fast you need it.

To answer other things. If I was buying one, I would buy it from an Apple retailer simply because you know that you can trust they will fix it if something goes wrong. Several times they have simply fixed up anything without a hassle.

Your MyBook will work on a Mac. Simply connect like usual

Hope this helps,
Tim
( Last edited by Tim Collier; Sep 29, 2007 at 08:57 AM. )

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 08:51 AM

Tim, the new aluminum iMacs come with 1 X 1024, it was announced at the keynote. Take a look at the iMac Tech Specs:

1GB (one SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), supports up to 4GB

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 08:53 AM

Oh crap, sorry bout that I am still getting over the last ones. My mistake.

ESLP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 09:38 AM

Hey guys tks for the feed back

If I install Parell, then Windows and then Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 I should be Ok
Or install Bootcamp and boot from Windows but then I loose on security

I have tried Office for iMac and found it less operative then the one for Windows, mind you here I have tried for a few hours only.

tks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 10:16 AM

The iMac's crummy laptop HD2600 card is going to choke on Bioshock on a 20-24" display. Think about a Mac Pro if you're serious about playing today's games.

Your MyBook is probably currently formatted as NTFS, so you'll be able to read it but not write to it on OSX. You can reformat it to a OSX supported filesystem, but you'll lose all the data on it in the process. Or you can install 3rd party software to write to it, but it's not easy or 100% reliable.

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 10:31 AM

Parallels and Boot Camp are both as secure or insecure. They can get viruses. The viruses just won't affect Mac OS X, but they will affect either your Parallels virtual machine or your Windows partition for Boot Camp.

MyMac8MyPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ESLP View Post
2) Sound, since the iMAC has only a stereo outpout how do you install a surround sound on it
First of all I would DEFINITELY wait until Leopard comes out. No sense paying more for your system than necessary, and Leopard is going to be incredible. Regarding the sound output; All Macs, including the Mac mini will give you 5.1 surround via the digital outputs BUT you'll need a 5.1 processor to decode it. We use the M-Audio Firewire 410 via Toslink with Logitech Z-5500 speakers, but if you're on a budget you could also use the Transit to decode, or any surround sound system (receiver) that should already have the decoder built in.

Before you go out and buy the Mac version of Office, download the free OpenOffice. It seems to work everybit as good and well.... it's completely free

Don't let the one slot of memory scare you. All iMacs are upgradable to 4gigs of memory. The high-end iMac does it via two slots, and the other 3 models do it via one slot. I would buy the Applecare instead of the Bestbuy version of it. Like the others here I would buy from Apple. They do have payment plans and the ability to pay no interest on your first purchase for up to 90 days. Enjoy your new Mac, you're going to love it
( Last edited by MyMac8MyPC; Sep 29, 2007 at 04:01 PM. )

Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2007, 06:00 PM

Ummm... no. All imacs have 2 slots of RAM. Just on the lower ones, one slot is empty, and on the high end 24", there is 1 GB in each slot.

MyMac8MyPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
on the lower ones, one slot is empty, and on the high end 24", there is 1 GB in each slot.
That's what we said, the high-end iMac does it via two slots, and the other 3 models do it via one slot. Same difference Here's a video that explains it in more detail
( Last edited by MyMac8MyPC; Sep 29, 2007 at 06:39 PM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 10:59 PM

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac is still a PPC application, running through Rosetta (the translation program, that allows applications written for the G4 or G5 to run on the Macs with Intel processors).

There is a new version expected for early 2008, running natively on Intel, and including new features, especially regarding the web, and, possibly, increased desktop publishing abilities.

For exact dates of release you might want to google that.

You can check out open office, and if you don't like it after a few months, Microsoft Office 2008 might be available.

Check out iWork, which contains the Apple version of Microsoft Word, called "Pages", you'll also find software "Numbers" similar to excel, and keynote, which is, I think, called Powerpoint on the other side of the computer-continental divide.

ESLP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 06:38 AM

Hi guys thanks for the feedback

So after readings your comments and some more on a canadian forum the scenario would be like this

1) Buy unit from Apple Store or Online probably will be store since I am worst then a kid I want my toy now tout de suite
2) Buy Apple care this way I will be safe for 3 years and if problem will be able to get it, dont think Bestbuy or Futureshop even with their Geek Suad will be at 100% as Applecare.
3) Unit( there is the catch for me 20" or 24" still wondering but in any case it will be a 1gig with the basic drive since I do have a Mybook 1 tera unit
4) Will upgrade to 3 gig within the next week or so after buying the unit.
5) Should I wait for Leopard to come out or jsut buy it after cheaper then Windows and their ton of config
6)Will buy Parallel and BootCamp to run Windows app mainly Windows office and ACT contact database, I have tried the Office from Mac but it lacks in Word and Excel some of the options of Office and since I have that already why not!
7)Will use MacOS for everything else and will probably enjoy the life with no virus or malware and why the h.......... Windows takes so long to load or why that d.... screen of death or why can't I print now ho hell my driver dissappear.

Will let you know

Forum Links
Forum Rules