Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight or not iSight

iSight or not iSight
Leo the 3rd
Mar 23, 2004, 10:19 PM

Well I'm thinking of getting an iSight, but am wondering how much folks really use it. A lot of my friends are PC users so they don't have a fast camera (mainly USB models if that). I do have a friend or 2 that has a Mac w/iSight. For folks that own an actual iSight, how often do you really use it? Or is it collecting dust? Any good sites that folks can recommend to find fellow iSight users is appreciated.

Thanks. Leo

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:
Well I'm thinking of getting an iSight, but am wondering how much folks really use it. A lot of my friends are PC users so they don't have a fast camera (mainly USB models if that). I do have a friend or 2 that has a Mac w/iSight. For folks that own an actual iSight, how often do you really use it? Or is it collecting dust? Any good sites that folks can recommend to find fellow iSight users is appreciated.

Thanks. Leo
I use mine daily, but I also bought four cameras for my other family members with Macs.
Apple released an iChat update today in your Software Update that will allow you to video chat with AIM users on AIM 5.5
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 10:40 PM

Whether or not you use it depends upon whether the people you wish to see have iSights also. I think Apple should sell them in twin packs.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 10:49 PM

I use mine at least once a week. My kids like to use it to see the grandparents who live out of town.

Oh, and like stated in a post above, the latest version of iChat will allow video communication with PC AIM users as well.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Whether or not you use it depends upon whether the people you wish to see have iSights also. I think Apple should sell them in twin packs.

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 02:49 AM

To be honest mine tends to collect dust.
I don't have many close friends with iSights, so I don't get much chance to use mine.
When I do it is very good, but I wish I had a long distance friend so that I could get more value from it.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules