Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto + Digital Camera video clips ?

iPhoto + Digital Camera video clips ?
badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 07:17 AM

I noticed while using Picasa (the company Google now owns) that it was able to import the video clips that a lot of digital cameras can do. (avi/mpg/etc)

For those that haven't heard of Picasa, it's the "iPhoto equivelent" on the Windows platform.

www.picasa.com

........ question : Is there any indication that Apple will support importing video clips into iPhoto? If not iPhoto, then maybe some other way of importing/storing?

It's SUPER ANNOYING to have to save the clips outside of iPhoto and not have it integrated with where the rest of the photos from that album are.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 08:58 AM

Oh I hope not,
I'd rather have superior photo cataloging and processing then the inclusion of movies (hey that�s what iMovie is for). I'd have to believe many people don't use the video mode that some digital camera's have. I don�t.

Apple seems to go with the one application for one specific function/need ideal. Just look at iCal, and Address book and mail.app. MS has them all integrated in entourage (and outlook on the pc). Having one application do one thing really well is a lot better then one app doing a lot of things ok, imho

Instead I'd like to see a better hierarchical album structure, i.e., sub-albums, faster speed, etc.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 09:07 AM

In this case, though, integrating a movie importing function with iPhoto would be nice. I mean, which is more convenient - having one application for photos and one for movies, or having a single application for your digital camera? iPhoto for your digicam, iTunes for your iPod (and iPod Photo), iMovie for your camcorder, and so on.

Until then, Image Capture works fine for transferring movies from digital cameras that aren't seen as mass storage devices.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 09:15 AM

It should also be obvious that iMovie is not a film cataloguing application - it is an editor/manipulator only.

In this instance, it does make sense for iPhoto to import all formats that a camera can take.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 02:07 PM

I also think this should be an option in iPhoto, even if it only throws them into the Movies folder. I don't think this would be out of line with the goal of iPhoto. It should be a one-stop interface for your digital camera, just as iTunes has become a one-stop interface for your iPod.

OT: With Apple being such a design-oriented company, I really wish they would beef up the Webpage Export option with some more visually pleasing templates.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:

Apple seems to go with the one application for one specific function/need ideal.
Right. Where that need="get my digitial creations (stills AND movies) from my camera, and put them where I want them organized." Stills in iPhoto, and movies in ~/Movies.

The current system of using iPhoto to get pictures directly, then switching to Image capture for the video, or using Image Capture to get it all, and then feeding the pictures to iPhoto, then deleting the temp photos is more labor than needed.

Apple could easily combine these goals into one task.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 4, 2004, 04:24 PM

I'd have to believe many people don't use the video mode that some digital camera's have. I don�t.
most people do.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

leperkuhn
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
most people do.
I do, and it's dumb to have to open image capture and iphoto.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 4, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
I do, and it's dumb to have to open image capture and iphoto.
why use image capture when you can just drag them out in Finder? that's all i do with mine. it's still annoying to have to take the extra step, when iPhoto should tackle it.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 07:30 PM

Because some digital cameras don't show up as USB mass storage devices. So there's no icon on the desktop that you can open up and drag files to and from. Canon, for instance, works this way. You have to use iPhoto or Image Capture to get the files from it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 07:45 PM

Oh I hope not,
I'd rather have superior photo cataloging and processing then the inclusion of movies (hey that�s what iMovie is for). I'd have to believe many people don't use the video mode that some digital camera's have. I don�t.

I would beg to differ that most people don't use it.

Also, they should implement it like how Picasa implemented theres .... the movies are imported showing the same thumbnail as regular photos but with a movie icon on the thumbnail to denote it as a movie clip. It's extremely simple.

also, iMovie is more for editing and DV clips. not small/simple clips from a digital camera.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Because some digital cameras don't show up as USB mass storage devices. So there's no icon on the desktop that you can open up and drag files to and from. Canon, for instance, works this way. You have to use iPhoto or Image Capture to get the files from it.
if you have a memory card reader it shows up as a disk AND in iphoto.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 09:18 PM

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/import.html

seems like apple answered my only iPhoto wish.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:22 AM

Woo hoo! And I was going to go and buy a program (shareware) that organised movie clips in the same way iPhoto does photos. Oh well. Sorry mr shareware guy, I'll wait for new iPhoto.

Forum Links
Forum Rules