Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 91)
Aegis
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 05:58 PM

I miss Sega too. Now it seems they only make medicore (at best) Sonic games.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I haven't even played Matchmaking yet and already I'm impressed with the variety of weapons and vehicles (the Brute Hammer is so much friggin fun).

If the online gameplay is the same as Halo 2 I wouldn't see that as a negative. Even now there are 80,000+ people still playing Halo 2. Updated graphics, new weapons, new vehicles, save files, and Forge....all massive pluses for a game that was legendary already.
Honestly man, Matchmaking will swallow you whole. I've played 80ish slayer matches already, which is freakish for me - online play is usually a casual affair for me. The matchmaking system is superb, lag is almost non-existent, and the maps, weapons and modes are freaking great...

Recommendations: a couple of ideas to break up the constant slayer matches -

1: Infection - A really fun zombie mode where one player starts as the Zombie (with an energy sword only) and tries to infect everybody. Your total kills as a spartan and as a zombie are totalled together in your score

2: Jump in the Forge and take all weapons out of Valhalla, and mongooses only as vehicles, with one brute chopper in the middle (or download the bungie favourite Valhalla Template - a blank valhalla template - then add the vehicles). Add a few gravity lifts throughout the central grassy areas as vehicle escapes.. (you'll know what I mean in a sec).
Now start a custom game with player speed set to 300% and gravity set to 50%, with Gravity Hammer as the primary player weapon, no secondary. Now play catch with guys on mongooses with gravity hammers in low gravity, while the drivers try to run you down. TONS of fun!!

Man cannons in low grav are SWEET.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2007, 08:12 PM

I've just played two matches, fun fun fun. The video mode is excellent too! I just uploaded a shot of me whacking some dude in the face with the RL.

Forge is just yet another feature that WILL make my girlfriend sorry she bought me this game

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I miss Sega too. Now it seems they only make medicore (at best) Sonic games.
They need to re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shinning Force series with updated graphics and/or on the PSN/XBL. That should give them plenty of money to get things going again.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 01:30 PM

Since the Nintendo fanboys won't post it:

Hardware September 17 - 23

PSP - 277,794
DSL - 70,523
Wii - 24,992
PS2 - 11,373
PS3 - 10,732
Xbox360 - 1,687
GBM - 243
GBASP - 106
GC - 68
GBA - 33
DS - 15

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Since the Nintendo fanboys won't post it:
Did you really need to put that line in there? It really makes you look like the bigger fanboy.

And regardless, the Wii still trounced all other consoles so it's not like the Nintendo fanboys should be upset by the numbers. The PSP got a boost from the slim version that just came out - good for Sony. The question will be whether it can sustain these kinds of numbers to be a real competitor to the DS.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Did you really need to put that line in there? It really makes you look like the bigger fanboy.

And regardless, the Wii still trounced all other consoles so it's not like the Nintendo fanboys should be upset by the numbers. The PSP got a boost from the slim version that just came out - good for Sony. The question will be whether it can sustain these kinds of numbers to be a real competitor to the DS.
Let's put it this way:

PSP sales: 277,794
Everything else combined: 119,772

People said it couldn't sustain those numbers this week. Well, they did.

And do you really expect the Nintendo fans to go through the trouble of posting those numbers? Hell no.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 02:11 PM

I dont like the NEW Nintendo and their approach to casual gaming market, but I think they are a very good thing for the whole industry. It was Nintendo back in the N64 days when their games were $60-$80 and PS games were $40-$50; now its the opposite, they learned their lessons and look at where they are now.

PaperNotes
Sep 28, 2007, 02:35 PM

Was tempted today to buy the XBox 360 HD-DVD player and connect it to Windows running Power DVD (see YouTube). It's a good price and comes with one movie (Superman yawn Returns). I didn't buy it though. No USB bus powering and no good movie bundle killed it for me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Was tempted today to buy the XBox 360 HD-DVD player and connect it to Windows running Power DVD (see YouTube). It's a good price and comes with one movie (Superman yawn Returns). I didn't buy it though. No USB bus powering and no good movie bundle killed it for me.
It's a desktop drive, so USB-powering ain't gonna happen.

PaperNotes
Sep 28, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's a desktop drive, so USB-powering ain't gonna happen.
Hard drives and DVD rewritable optical drives have had USB powering for years now. The unit sacrifices bus powering to bring the costs down.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 03:21 PM

Hard drives and DVD rewritable optical drives have had USB powering for years now. The unit sacrifices bus powering to bring the costs down.
Not for 3.5" hard drives or desktop DVD drives.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Let's put it this way:

PSP sales: 277,794
Everything else combined: 119,772

People said it couldn't sustain those numbers this week. Well, they did.

And do you really expect the Nintendo fans to go through the trouble of posting those numbers? Hell no.
I'll take the trouble to post the following, just to put your "analysis" into perspective for other readers of this thread:

Worldwide sales:
DS : 50 million
PSP: 23.37 million
News: DS breaks 50 million sales milestone - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2007, 05:43 PM

The PSP is getting a new hardware sales boost; of course it's going to sell through the roof for a bit. Considering it's not a drastic revision like the DS Lite was, it's likely not going to sell so well for a prolonged period of time.

We'll see though.

PaperNotes
Sep 29, 2007, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Not for 3.5" hard drives or desktop DVD drives.
I don't know what you mean by "desktop" DVD drives. An external device is bus powered when it is low spec like the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive. It's ROM only and thus low spec. If it was a rewriter too I would understand the need for more power. I very probably would have bought it if it was portable enough though I would have regretted it as a waste of money eventually (no rewriting ugh).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 10:38 AM

I don't know what you mean by "desktop" DVD drives.
Obviously.

An external device is bus powered when it is low spec like the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive. It's ROM only and thus low spec. If it was a rewriter too I would understand the need for more power. I very probably would have bought it if it was portable enough though I would have regretted it as a waste of money eventually (no rewriting ugh).
I suggest you read up on the differences between laptop and desktop optical and hard drives, and the power requirements of their various iterations.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 29, 2007 at 10:49 AM. )

PaperNotes
Sep 29, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Obviously.

I suggest you read up on the differences between laptop and desktop optical and hard drives, and the power requirements of their various iterations.
There are quite a few USB bus powered DVD dual layer rewriters that have faster transfer speeds than the XBox HD-DVD drive.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 03:03 PM

There are quite a few USB bus powered DVD dual layer rewriters that have faster transfer speeds than the XBox HD-DVD drive.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:50 PM

Seems like Halo 3 doesn't even run 720p. I guess folks at MS haven't seen or tested out BioShock yet.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 02:56 PM

my xbox 360 got stolen
we don't have time to stop for gas

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 30, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
my xbox 360 got stolen
:O what happened?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2007, 06:43 PM

So did someone break into your house? Or was your 360 elsewhere???

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2007, 08:31 PM

My Xbox 360 is a Japanese model that I had to get for a translation project. This means that I have to be careful when buying games, because region coding on the 360 is very random. Although you can guess from what a publisher has done in the past, there's no way to know for sure if a game is region-free until someone actually tries it out. If the US version of a particular game isn't region free, I have to get the Asian or Japanese version. Since the Asian version of Halo 3 was only $40 from Play Asia, I figured I would just get that and not worry about whether I could play the US version. The Asian versions of 360 games are generally the exact same games you get in the US, but with different packaging (and sometimes they'll have Chinese as an option if your 360 is set to display in Chinese). However, the Asian version of Halo 3 is apparently an exception. I got this email a little while after I got my shipping notice from Play Asia.

We strive to keep our products listings updated and accurate, however, we
have not been informed of the fact that the game does not include an
English voice track for the story line. To avoid any possible
misunderstanding: The game is fully capable of displaying English,
however, the voices in cut-scenes will be in Chinese.

We were not aware of this fact prior the time we received our batch and to
clear our pre-orders as fast as possible, a thorough check of the game was
only possible once the first batch of pre-orders has shipped.
It goes on to say that they will allow me to send back my copy (at my expense) for a copy of an English version of the game, and they will give me a $10 coupon for my trouble (not really much of an enticement). So I'm wondering, how much of a problem do you guys think this will be? I don't understand enough Chinese to be able to make sense of the cut-scenes, but I don't recall the Halo series having the greatest story anyway, and I was wondering if maybe the cut scenes were available online somewhere.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2007, 09:01 PM

The Halo story may be a lot deeper than you think - in fact, i'd argue that you can't truly appreciate Halo until you've sunk your teeth into the storyline. There's a huge amount of plot and history behind the Halo universe, all of which I've found to be worthwhile. It obviously doesn't feature ultra-long story sequences like Metal Gear Solid, Bungie have simply taken a different approach - they've left a lot of the story untold for you to research it online or in the books if you're really interested. Some of Cortana's more minor references in Halo 3 are impossible to understand without reading the novels - Bungie are very subtle, deep storytellers, but package it in a deceptively simple story that casual fans can grasp and enjoy. Try and get Halo 3 in English, you won't regret it.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Seems like Halo 3 doesn't even run 720p. I guess folks at MS haven't seen or tested out BioShock yet.
You mean the game Bioshock that has small indoor areas and no multiplayer? If the Bioshock team could make a level as humongous as Sandtraps (Halo 3 map) and keep their outstanding graphics I would dance the hoochi-coo on top on the Sears Tower.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 12:41 PM

Read this today on Bungie.net

One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at “640p” which isn’t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3’s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the
“almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.
I experienced quite a bit of jumpiness whilst playing through Bioshock over three times. Imagine that kind of lag in a multiplayer environment 20 times larger than any Bioshock level.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2007, 12:44 PM

You mean the game Bioshock that has small indoor areas and no multiplayer? If the Bioshock team could make a level as humongous as Sandtraps (Halo 3 map) and keep their outstanding graphics I would dance the hoochi-coo on top on the Sears Tower.
I think he was referring to the "graphics" issues that Bioshock had - the fullscreen/widescreen issue.

So far I'd have to say the Halo 3 campaign pales in comparison to Bioshock, though...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

Duh, I loved Bioshock but it's impossible to compare it to a game like Halo 3 that obviously has different criteria to meet.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
The Halo story may be a lot deeper than you think - in fact, i'd argue that you can't truly appreciate Halo until you've sunk your teeth into the storyline. There's a huge amount of plot and history behind the Halo universe, all of which I've found to be worthwhile. It obviously doesn't feature ultra-long story sequences like Metal Gear Solid, Bungie have simply taken a different approach - they've left a lot of the story untold for you to research it online or in the books if you're really interested. Some of Cortana's more minor references in Halo 3 are impossible to understand without reading the novels - Bungie are very subtle, deep storytellers, but package it in a deceptively simple story that casual fans can grasp and enjoy. Try and get Halo 3 in English, you won't regret it.
I think this post from Penny Arcade summed it up pretty well. There is certainly a fairly well developed a story there, but they don't do a particularly good job of actually including it in the game.

I recommend reading this thread before you tackle Halo 3. It lays out the history of the Halo universe really well. Like any sequel it helps to have played the previous games but in this case I don't even think that's enough. The story in Halo 3 simply doesn't make a lick of ****ing sense on it's own and they make zero effort to help players that might be new to the series. I don't mean there isn't a movie at the beginning that's like "previously on teh Haloz!" I mean they just assume you know everything in that thread forwards and back. Honestly though it's Halo. You can play through the thing, shoot a bunch of guys skip all the cut scenes and have a damn good time. It's just sort of sad that there's such a rich universe there that the games aren't conveying.
But I guess I should probably try and get the English version, even though it'll mean waiting several more weeks.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2007, 07:05 AM

( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 3, 2007 at 07:14 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 02:22 PM

Galaxy and Smash Brothers: Brawl are going to be more than enough to hold me over during the holidays.

That Galaxy trailer got me pumped up when I saw it this morning.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Wicked. Browser isn't satisfied with just a princess. He wants property too!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2007, 04:48 PM

I'm a little shocked that Wii hardware shortages have persisted in N.America (im not sure about the rest of the world) for so long, and wonder why Nintendo canot deliver the product to take advantage of the demand.

Economics 101 says the best position to be in is where demand intersects supply at a particular price, and while Nintendo's current position of demand outstripping supply is far more favorable than supply exceeding demand..... i really cant understand why they have not been able to get production up to meet demand. With games like Mario Galaxy and SSBB coming out, i guess Wii's will be even harder to find and could potentially put a limit on how well their software/ascessories sell.

While i think Nintendo has done an amazing job with the Wii (both technically and in marketing the product).... i would hope they are more focused on Wii production lines than on Wii zappers and Wii-Fit boards at least for this quarter.

With these new peripherals....i definatelly see even more demand for the Wii console...i just hope Nintendo is in a position to deliver them.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 12:04 PM

I just got a PS3 a week ago as a surprise for my birthday.
I have to say, I love it. GRAWF2 is awesome, as is F1 championship edition.
Watched a couple bluray movies as well.
The system is way quieter than the 360 and the interface is much nicer IMHO.

The tilt feature of the Sixaxis controllers adds a nice dimension to gameplay.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 02:53 PM

This should be a future purchase for you.

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 10:56 PM

Portal is amazing.

That is all.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 11:40 PM

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is freaking unbelievable. Wow. Just got it for my PS3. It's a 1080p game and it is eye popping, and addicting.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 12:25 PM

Portal is amazing.

That is all.
But is it as short as I've heard?

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 15, 2007, 01:30 PM

you can beat Portal in 2-3 hours. (altho you do unlock some 'challenge' maps)
still, it's pretty great.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 02:07 PM

Just as I feared. I'm just deciding whether its a rental or a purchase. TF2 just doesn't look deep enough after all I hear of Halo (Though I like the fact that the one class can disguise itself).

Decisions, decisions...

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 15, 2007, 02:58 PM

i have the orange box for the pc and find myself playing TF2 quite a bit. i'm not sure it's meant to be "deep", but it does have a huge variety (9 unique classes) after all. but i've never really liked the Halo series (though i've only played it briefly), so there's that.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 03:25 PM

I've never played Halo ever (srsly, my living room was not zoned for the 2-ton XBOX), but one forum I hang around has a thread dedicated to some very cool screens (laser = awesome)

That said, I heard TF2 compared to TimeSplitters 2, which favorable in that it sounds more strategic than frenzied, which really appeals to me. (I'm the asshole who used to litter the Severnaya Bunker with proximity mines then go in a hole and wait)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
i have the orange box for the pc and find myself playing TF2 quite a bit. i'm not sure it's meant to be "deep", but it does have a huge variety (9 unique classes) after all. but i've never really liked the Halo series (though i've only played it briefly), so there's that.
I've never been a Halo fan either, but a friend pretty much forced me to get 3 and it's not too bad. The single player is very "meh" but online play is quite fun. Never thought I'd say that about a console shooter...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
But is it as short as I've heard?
It was actually a little longer than I expected. I just wish the first 6 or 7 missions weren't babying you around.

The last few missions were really something, and the advanced missions definitely add some head-scratching.

I would be first in line for Portal 2.

(and Episode 2 ain't half bad so far either )

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 08:22 AM

Shut up, someone cooler than you already answered.

(Actually, if they made some downloadable extras for Portal on the Marketplace, that'd be Golden. Though they better be cheap)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Galaxy and Smash Brothers: Brawl are going to be more than enough to hold me over during the holidays.

That Galaxy trailer got me pumped up when I saw it this morning.
You know, I tried to get into Super Smash Bros. Melee on the GameCube and just wasn't very impressed. Maybe it's more fun with more than two people...? I'm more interested in WiiFit and Guitar Hero III, but I'm not much of a typical gamer. I have a PS2 for the regular console-style games; I'm into the Wii for the very different gameplay and opportunities that come with that.

I also thought that Wario Ware Smooth Moves was lame as hell.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I'm a little shocked that Wii hardware shortages have persisted in N.America (im not sure about the rest of the world) for so long, and wonder why Nintendo canot deliver the product to take advantage of the demand.
Nintendo's said repeatedly that they're trying to keep up with the demand, and they just can't. Keep in mind that while Nintendo is a pretty big company, they're not near as huge as Sony or Microsoft, and it's not just their production lines that come into play here - you have to consider ATI's ability to produce enough GPUs, the manufacturer of the wifi card in the thing, etc. I doubt that the lack of supply is going to die down until well after Christmas is over. I'm glad I got mine - I love it!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2007, 09:46 PM

According to Sony, if you use your PS3 with a power strip, your warranty is now void:
MAXCONSOLE - Playstation 3 - PS3 warranty voided by surge protector - 'great' pay up $150 say Sony
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
According to Sony, if you use your PS3 with a power strip, your warranty is now void:
MAXCONSOLE - Playstation 3 - PS3 warranty voided by surge protector - 'great' pay up $150 say Sony
That's obviously a load of BS. He should escalate the matter until they take care of him. And why do you love linking to stuff like this so much? I've heard many Xbox 360 support horror stories.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
That's obviously a load of BS. He should escalate the matter until they take care of him. And why do you love linking to stuff like this so much? I've heard many Xbox 360 support horror stories.
Do you expect otherwise from him? I mean, you want to post about your Platform Of Choice, fine, but you have to draw the line of absurdity somewhere.

Anyone throw any Wii remotes lately?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 07:34 AM

I heard you're not supposed to use power strips with the 360 either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules