Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gravity

Gravity
pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2013, 04:05 PM

I didn't scroll far, but a cursory glance didn't reveal an existing thread.

My thoughts on the film: HOLY F'N SHIT. I hate 3d. Avatar was insultingly stupid. Iron Man 3, Superman, pretty much every "spectacle" of the summer made me regret autonomous breathing. This freaking film experience was worth every cent. I highly recommend the IMAX if available. I've heard some crap on the "plot" a bit, but I had zero issues. The cats involved earned my respect and I'll hear them out with the narrative. Of course, most of you will probably hate it.

10/10 would bang Sandra's hot, middle-aged ass.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 04:08 PM

I liked the movie, though you're kind of left tired after watching it.

pooka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I liked the movie, though you're kind of left tired after watching it.

Given the attention to detail throughout the film, I have to say some of that nonsense HAD to have been on purpose. I want to believe...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 08:33 AM

Yeah, it was great. I've got some niggling complaints as to plot and plausibility -

- but I think it would be safe to call it the most memorable film from this year so far, and certainly the prettiest and best use of 3D I've ever seen (warning: will choke anyone who mentions Avatar).

I love Alfonso Cuaron, though - Children of Men would be in my top-10 favourite movies of all time (and IMO definitely a superior film to Gravity). del Toro seems to have creatively peaked with Pan's Labyrinth and Inarritu is a bit too art-house for my personal tastes - it's too bad Cuaron is so sporadic, although apparently it's for the best! They should all just work together more often and regularly produce Pan's Labyrinth-level awesomeness.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 10:04 AM

After hearing Neil Tyson rip into this film, I may hold off until it's on late night tv. The inaccurate sh*t just sucks the jelly out of my donut, and distracts my attention from enjoying the film.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
After hearing Neil Tyson rip into this film, I may hold off until it's on late night tv. The inaccurate sh*t just sucks the jelly out of my donut, and distracts my attention from enjoying the film.
He reversed his position and said he should have noted how much more accurate than most sci-fi films it was.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
He reversed his position and said he should have noted how much more accurate than most sci-fi films it was.
it's getting harder to keep track of these things. If there was only a way of sending information to each other, in real time, so that we may share ideas, opinions, and news with the whole world. Perhaps someday. Someday.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
would bang Sandra's hot, middle-aged ass.
Not seen the film, but yes.

laughingbunny
Oct 15, 2013, 11:50 AM

Yeah I heard more then three people telling me it's good(including this post), might go watch it with my mom

pooka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2013, 09:48 AM

FWIW, some astronauts and physicists are chiming in and the overall consensus seems to be that it's pretty damn good. Again, they knowingly bent some rules to serve the narrative (orbital dynamics, angular momentum, mystery inertia), but even the fire extinguisher scene is getting a PLAUSIBLE stamp. Saw it again yesterday. I still say it's the best cinematic experience to date. And DAT ASS.

pooka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2013, 09:49 AM

Oh, and one of the biggest nitpicks seems to be the tears floating off hot old lady's face. TIL that surface tension is a helluva thing in space. Vomit in your helmet = BAD TIME.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2013, 07:04 AM

Hah, I saw that re: fire extinguisher - it just seemed too ridiculous! Again, I love Cuaron - the tracking shots in this flick are absolutely stunning and add to the storytelling experience in a way you can't put a finger on until you start to look for it.

Totally agreed on Bullock. I mean...how has she actually gotten hotter at almost 50? I mean she was always hot, but just goofy in that hot-girl-next-door way...take away the goofy and suddenly it's damn girl!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 05:14 PM

Saw this over the weekend. I too normally eschew 3D films. But Gravity was well worth the extra cost of seeing it in IMAX 3D.

OAW

finboy
Oct 25, 2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I didn't scroll far, but a cursory glance didn't reveal an existing thread.

My thoughts on the film: HOLY F'N SHIT.
Finally got to see this yesterday. In Real 3D (which really sucks compared to IMAX 3D by the way). You don't want to miss seeing this in a theatre.

This movie was stunning. The dialog and plot were lame at times, but the acting and everything else was spectacular. I want to see this again, maybe in IMAX 3D before it goes away. For everything it gets wrong, there's a great deal that it gets right. And the level of detail is magnificent.

And...Ms. Bullock is cranking the hotness. I think it's the whole "girl next door" thing, multiplied by the cougar thing.

Clooney does a good job, even though I can't stand him.

OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2013, 10:44 AM

I've seen it on Tuesday and I thought the movie was pretty great. Honestly, I was positively surprised, and I couldn't spot anything that was physically impossible. (Not getting hit by debris twice is pretty unlikely, though, although not impossible.)

During the fire extinguisher scene on board the ISS, the couple behind us asked each other »What did just happen?« and I instinctively replied »Newton's Third Law is what happened.«
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 09:30 PM

Just watched it in IMAX 3D, excellent film and the first use of 3D I didn't find off-putting and distracting the whole time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2013, 02:22 PM

Ham Sandwich
Nov 4, 2013, 01:58 PM

Epic cinematography and boredom for the first 20 minutes aside, the premise was completely stupid. Not saying why - look it up if you want a spoiler.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2013, 02:16 PM

Boredom for the first 20 minutes? This movie literally had one of the shortest character lead-ins I have ever seen. How could you possibly be bored during that first scene with Clooney Clooney-ing and then the action starting?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2013, 03:36 PM

It was good, if a little over-hyped. I give it 3 out of 4.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2013, 06:40 AM

I watched it Saturday : Excellent experience. The scene where she looses the wrench and behind her the whole spaceship disintegrates is awesome !

And the dream where Clooney gets back into the spaceship is also very delicately performed. I watched some great movies but this one is Excellent !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2014, 03:21 AM

The rumored alternative ending has finally leaked.

GRAVITY - Exclusive Alternate Scene (Redefines Entire Movie) - YouTube

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2014, 08:54 AM

^ha!

we rented a few weekends ago. very good.

from the dvd extras, it seems that most of the movie, including sandra bullocks hot ass, was CGI. In which case, kudos.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2014, 10:37 AM

Her ass was CGI? Figures.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2014, 11:25 AM

say it ain't so

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2014, 11:44 AM

I need photographic evidence of this 'CGI' ass.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2014, 12:19 PM

Well, maybe they based the cgi off intensive research, but the dvd did say they mainly used the actors for face shots. Which is amazing, because there is very little of that "uncanny valley" of creepy "you can tell it's fake" animation.

finboy
Apr 7, 2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
^ha!

including sandra bullocks hot ass, was CGI.
Nuh uh. That's got to be a lie. Did they stretch her legs out too?

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2014, 06:03 PM

Also, george clooney was played by a puppet.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2014, 10:57 PM

Late to the party here. Just saw it an hour or two ago.

What am I not supposed to believe about the fire extinguisher?

I liked it, but felt the first act overpowered the other two.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 24, 2014, 08:47 AM

What is with all this Sandra Bullock hot ass stuff? Seriously, all I can think about is how many cigarettes she's smoked in the last 20 years to look as sickly unhealthy as she did for the movie.

And really... cgi? If they used cgi then I can't imagine how much less healthy she looked prior.

I supposed if you have a Sandra Bullock fetish, or maybe a Sandra Bullock foot fetish, then Gravity might be for you.

Or if the whole premise of the world's smartest scientists being unable to calculating the trajectory of satellite debris, caused by some pointless spontaneous act of political authority (which was a completely ridiculous premise in the movie to begin with), then Gravity might still be for you.

Gravity is overrated- Too bad they didn't get the academy award for most overrated film that year.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Aug 24, 2014 at 09:04 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2014, 10:32 AM

It was almost be like basing the premise on the smartest scientists in the world swapping feet for meters. Could never happen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
During the fire extinguisher scene on board the ISS, the couple behind us asked each other »What did just happen?« and I instinctively replied »Newton's Third Law is what happened.«
And set you up for her using the extinguisher at the end.

One of my favorite parts of the movie were having physics behave like physics. It was (dark) comic relief.

Like Bullock finally getting to the airlock, popping it open, and almost getting flung out into space by the depressurization. Or... knocking herself out trying to use a fire extinguisher.

I was also greatly pleased by them showing you obvious problems which didn't occur to me until it becomes a problem. Like the Soyuz chute being tangled in the ISS.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 25, 2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It was almost be like basing the premise on the smartest scientists in the world swapping feet for meters. Could never happen.
Or like the USA's own hypersonic missile exploding during a test flight:

Experimental U.S. hypersonic weapon explodes during flight test

Heh maybe you're right maybe it's not such a ridiculous premise after all... if Russia can terrorize our astronauts why not the USA too?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2014, 02:12 PM

The movie really had it out for the Russians. They wipe out a ton of satellites, kill four astronauts, destroy a telescope, two space stations, and can't make a Soyuz for shit.

From what I hear, the last bit is true. The Soviet designs are garbage. So sayeth Shannon Lucid after her tour on the Mir.

Edit: "designs" isn't really right, they're designed okay, they're just poorly built.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 25, 2014 at 02:48 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2014, 02:21 PM

One thing which bothered me is I question the ISS lacking of line-of-sight communication with the ground. Having all your communications go through satellite relays seems... unsafe.

Also, Clooney says "half of North America just lost its Facebook". It's a good line, but how much of that is based on hugely expensive, hugely high-latency, satellite communications?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2014, 02:24 PM

And, as much of a snot as Neil DeGrasse Tyson was about the movie, he's 100% right the name would have been far more accurate as "Angular Momentum".

Forum Links
Forum Rules