Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Care Tip for PowerBook G4

Care Tip for PowerBook G4
Leo the 3rd
Feb 11, 2005, 10:37 AM

Hey, has anyone noticed this quote from Apple's website on the care and feeding of our beloved PowerBook G4:

"Warning: Do not place your PowerBook on a pillow or other soft material when it is on, as the material may block the airflow vents, in particular the rear vents, and cause the computer to overheat. Never place anything over your keyboard before closing the display. This can cause your computer to cycle on and off which may create excessive heat and drain your battery. Never turn on your computer unless all of its internal and external parts are in place. Operating the computer when it is open or missing parts can be dangerous and can damage your computer."

I don't remember seeing the warning about not covering the keyboard when closing it up.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 04:21 AM

THe rear vents seem highly unlikely to be blocked that way.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:
I don't remember seeing the warning about not covering the keyboard when closing it up.
If you place something over the keyboard and close the lid, it may depress the keys and cause the computer to continually wake up and go to sleep.

That's my take on it, at least.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 09:26 AM

Never had a problem with using a screen protector when Powerbook is closed. It doesn't put any strain on the keyboard.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 12:13 AM

you don't put a screen protector over the keyboard, you put it over the monitor

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by jzdziarski:
you don't put a screen protector over the keyboard, you put it over the monitor
WRONG! I use an iSkin keyboard cover to keep dust and dog hair and other detritus from getting into the keyboard. Works nicely and never had any problem. I also have a radtech screensaver cloth that lies on the keyboard when I'm on the go. Again, no problems.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
THe rear vents seem highly unlikely to be blocked that way.
I've noticed before if I use my 12" on my lap in bed, the quilt blocks the rear vent and it heats up more quickly.
12" Rev B PB

Dr.Michael
Feb 16, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:

For the 12 inch pb there is an obvious reason not to cover the keyboard when you operate it in closed lid mode.

Below the keyboard are holes in the metal right above the heatsink. The air that cools the heatsink flows in through the keyboard, heats up while it flows through the heatsink and is blown out of the rear openings by the fan.

A cloth or somthing alike on the keyboard would block the airflow.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 16, 2005 at 11:12 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules