Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wide Aspect 20-incher

Wide Aspect 20-incher
Sealobo
Mar 9, 2005, 10:14 AM

I am looking to buy two 20" LCD display panels and i prefer the wide aspect ratio (1.6:1) over the traditional 4:3... by default i looked at the ACD 20" but then i also want something in black enclosure for that geeky feel. However it seems that choices are very limited.

so... anyway good recommendation for wide aspect 20 incher?

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 10:38 AM

Jeez where have you been?... hasn't the 20" display market, specifically the Dell 2005FPW, been discussed like a thousand times in the past month? I have one next to the 2001FP (4:3 20") and they're both really nice and well worth the money...

Brian McHale
Mar 9, 2005, 12:42 PM

I'll vouch for how nice the wider aspect ratio is, but I've got a 20" Apple Cinema Display, so I can't help you with other makes. I don't think I've seen other widescreen monitors, though I suppose someone must make them.
Brian

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 06:14 PM

While I like widescreen displays, too, I didn't want to loose the vertical space that one would otherwise loose with something like the Apple or Dell 20" (1680x1050 vs. 1600x1200), as I do a lot of writing (up & down more important than side-to-side).

So, I "settled" for two 2001FP 20" LCDs side by side... here.

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 10:33 PM

For those of us who would never ever buy anything from Dell, what are the choices?

Looking at the major players (Viewsonic, LG, Samsung) it looks like the Apple is the only one with a widescreen display. And the price isn't that bad considering 4:3 20"'s from major manufacturers are all around $1k.

I'm looking at replacing my iLamp with either a Mini + 20" or a 15" Powerbook and love the widescreen aspect. But it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything from Dell.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by mbryda:
For those of us who would never ever buy anything from Dell, what are the choices?

Looking at the major players (Viewsonic, LG, Samsung) it looks like the Apple is the only one with a widescreen display. And the price isn't that bad considering 4:3 20"'s from major manufacturers are all around $1k.

I'm looking at replacing my iLamp with either a Mini + 20" or a 15" Powerbook and love the widescreen aspect. But it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything from Dell.
Samsung sells a 24" widescreen display (same panel actually as is in the new Dell 24" widescreen 2405WFP), and both Sony and HP sell a 23" widescreen display.

AFAIK, only Apple and Dell sell widescreen 20" displays.

Sony, I believe, also sells a widescreen 17" display (1280x768).

Forum Links
Forum Rules