Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > best mail application for macs

best mail application for macs
Flash03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 08:30 PM

I have tried out both macs mail app which is given and entourage but i was wondering if there are any better mail apps out there

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2007, 08:35 PM

What do you mean by "Better?" What are you looking for or what do you need to do specifically? "Better" is very subjective...

Flash03  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 09:38 PM

Im not looking for anything in particular actually, i was just using "better" broadly. Just seeing if there is anything else out there

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2007, 12:13 AM

Thunderbird is an open source mail app. Give it a try! I prefer mail.app out of all of them.
My Blog-pakos.me

doublep
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 02:42 AM

Try Gyazmail
PowerMac G5 2,3Ghz double processor
4 Go RAM; X800XT video card; Raptor boot drive

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2007, 09:35 AM

I would keep an eye on the Correo project (in the early stages of development). I would be all over this if I wasn't such a Gmail nut.

Introducing Correo, a new open-source mail client for Mac OS X. Correo blends technology from two popular Mozilla projects, Camino and Thunderbird, to create a polished native Macintosh application.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 11:09 AM

The only bummer about Thunderbird is the lack of GnuPGP support. Other than that it's dynamite. And free.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 03:53 PM

I'm a mail.app fan, but use Entourage at work. Entourage has some cool features, but it's dog slow on my not so old Mac mini.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
The only bummer about Thunderbird is the lack of GnuPGP support. Other than that it's dynamite. And free.
The Enigmail plug works in Thunderbird to provide Gnupg support, I use it daily.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 12:47 AM

I haven't touched Entourage in a couple of years. Are there any ways to sync it with .Mac for calendars and contacts? I've grown to like iCal, Address Book and Mail, but would prefer Entourage if syncing were seamless.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2007, 05:34 PM

A vote for Apples mail app. Very powerful when you use the smart folders and rules.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by real View Post
A vote for Apples mail app. Very powerful when you use the smart folders and rules.
Although completely and pathetically brain dead in some other areas.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 08:18 PM

With Apple Mail how the devil do you get it to delete messages from a POP server? I've only dabbled w the settings. no doubt it's in there, I just haven't seen it.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 08:19 PM

Never mind, just saw it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
With Apple Mail how the devil do you get it to delete messages from a POP server? I've only dabbled w the settings. no doubt it's in there, I just haven't seen it.
Do you mean messages that you say you want to save a copy on the server?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 02:40 PM

If you don't know why you want another one, use mail. It's great for many things, if you find yourself running up against something that it's brain dead for, ask about which mail program deals better with that thing.

philm
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 09:53 PM

I find the Spotlight-powered searching of Mail.app to be great. Has saved me a couple of times.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I find the Spotlight-powered searching of Mail.app to be great. Has saved me a couple of times.
I kind of question its future though.

On one hand, it is nice being able to do a system wide search and have it include your email. On the other, downloading every piece of mail and storing it to local disk is slow and consuming.

Cyrus IMAP (the largest open source email server) includes server side searching capabilities they call "squatter". Squat/squatter/whatever it should be called, is much faster at searching mail. Being provided by the server, the server is able to automatically index your mail, so that when you are gone for a long time and come back, you can immediately conduct fast searches.

The downside of squatting is that it can be expensive for servers to run. However, I think we'll eventually reach a point where the prospect of email accounts larger than x gigabytes no longer thrill people, and hardware will become fast enough to be able to handle large numbers of large mailboxes with squatting enabled.

If these sorts of issues were not non-existent, squatting would be the way to go IMHO. It is a better design and makes more sense. Perhaps a future version of Safari could even recognize and work with database indexes and files not stored locally. As it stands, one of the weaknesses of how Spotlight is designed right now is that it cannot search remote volumes, AFAIK.

So, we'll see...

chrisdisregard
Feb 27, 2007, 11:20 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:08 PM. )

Ryknow215
Feb 28, 2007, 07:03 AM

Over the past couple years I've gone Mail.app -> Thunderbird -> Entourage -> Mail.app. It does everything I need, but most importantly it does it all quickly.
Ditto. I used Mail for a while, then tried Entourage for about 2 days when I bought Office and I couldn't stand it, then Thunderbird for about a day, and I'm back full time with Mail. It does everything I need it to do quickly and has never given me any grief.

Although if Gmail didn't allow POP3 access, I wouldn't use Mail at all
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 09:46 AM

I use a combination of Thunderbird and Mail.

I would give my left nut of Mail supported folder subscriptions, multiple identities, and marking which folders you want to check for new messages. I'm surprised that Apple hasn't at least added support for multiple identities, since this is quite a useful feature.

Thunderbird handles these features, which is why I keep it around.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 10:38 AM

OS X supports multiple user accounts, Mail supports multiple mail accounts. I don't see the need for multiple mail "identities". If someone else wants to use their e-mail client, use fast user switching.

What is "folder subscription"?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
OS X supports multiple user accounts, Mail supports multiple mail accounts. I don't see the need for multiple mail "identities". If someone else wants to use their e-mail client, use fast user switching.

What is "folder subscription"?

Multiple identities allow you to change the headers of your email (from, reply-to, etc.) on the fly within a particular email account. This is a vital feature if you use an email account for multiple functions, and is particularly handy in environments where you use shared mailboxes.

Folder subscriptions indicate which folders should be displayed in your email client. This would be immensely useful in Mail, since many organizations archive old mail and have dozens and dozens of folders you may not want Mail to bother checking and caching.

Another problem with Mail is that you can only cache messages on a per account basis, rather than a per folder basis. Mail is extremely slow and taxing in checking out every damn folder and caching it (if I have this feature enabled), it sometimes takes several moments before my computer becomes responsive again... It's a lot of work indexing thousands and thousands of messages, but also needless.

These are all vital features to any larger organization, and have been included as standard features within most email clients for years. I don't know why Apple decided to limit Mail by excluding these basic features. Even damn Outlook Express handles folder subscriptions for Christ's sake! Multiple identities I'm willing to bet was invented in the 90s!
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules