Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX on beige G3 - drive problems

OSX on beige G3 - drive problems
peter_cph
Apr 16, 2004, 09:32 AM

OK .. so I screwed up.

All full of good intentions, I added a second harddisk (Maxtor 40 GB) to the 20 GB Quantum already in the box.

On the Quantum was OS 9.2.2

I put OSX Install disk 1 in the CD drive and restarted the machine as told.

The new drive had to be formatted, so I did. And I did it as Mac OS Extended and made 2 partitions. A smaller one 8 GB and a bigger one with the rest of the disk.

Cool.

I did not check "Install OS 9 Drivers" - since I had no plans about installing OS9 on it.

I just installed OSX 10.2 and did 2 rounds of software update and less than 5 hours later it was all finished and done.

I started in OSX 10.2 and installed the OSX software that I needed and everything was fine.

I will for some time continue to woprk primarily in OS 9, but I need OSX for specific tasks like net-banking.

So far so good. All was well ...

And I could open the System Preferences and restart in OS 9 and that worked fine too.

... except ... the Maxtor drive with the OSX and the big empty partition did not mount!

So now I can not get back to OSX.

I am told (only now) that I need to have the "Install OS 9 Drivers" checked while formatting/partitioning or OS 9 will not be able to see the disk.

So here I am .. in OS 9 and unable to use the storiage facility of the "Big Empty Partition" and unable to see/select thre OSX startup disk.

I am stuck in OS 9 and it was all in vain and i have to start over from scratch. Unless, of course, I can install the OS 9 driver on the disk.

I can't update the driver using Disk Tools

OSX Disk Utility does not give me the option to update the driver.

What the [beeeep] shall I do?

Thanks in advance for any help or hints.

Peter

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:44 AM

Sounds like you need to start from scratch. I don't know of any way to install OS9 drivers after the fact.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2004, 09:59 AM

Actually, there is a way to get back into OSX, but this is one of the skankier hacks in existence. If you do it this way, you'll only have to do it once.

When you boot, hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F. This will boot you into Open Firmware, the lowest level of the Mac's onboard ROM. It's a white screen with black text, and unfortunately it involves a command line.

Anyway, from here, type "bootr" (no quotes, and note the r on the end). This should put you into OSX. From OSX you should be able to set the startup disk normally. Set it to OSX, and leave it there.

From that point on, your machine will boot into OSX under ordinary circumstances. If you need to boot into OS9, hold down the Option key at startup; on newer machines this will let you pick which OS you start from, the Beige G3 will just boot directly into OS9. This is temporary (unlike setting the startup disk), so if you reboot normally the machine will go back to OSX; you'll need to use the Option key from then on to boot into OS9. Not ideal by any means, but it's better than doing the Open Firmware trick every time.

Unfortunately, this does not fix the problem of the hard drive not mounting in OS9. You might be able to reinstall an OS9 driver on the fly, if you get a copy of Hard Disk Toolkit (OS9 only) and use it from there, but I wouldn't recommend trying. It could just as easily render your disk completely unusable from either OS.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

peter_cph  (op)
Apr 16, 2004, 10:14 AM

Awesome ... Thanks. This might be a workaround untill I find 4-5 free hours lying around somewhere.

Thank ... weekend is saved!

Peter

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 16, 2004, 08:52 PM

If you use Carbon Copy Cloner, I believe there's an option to reinstall the OS 9 drivers on a disk without having to reformat it. I could be wrong, but I think I had to do something similar to what you're talking about several weeks ago with my beige G3 and 10.3.3 at work.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

peter_cph  (op)
Apr 16, 2004, 09:07 PM

Hey ... interresting ...

2 questions:

Carbon Copy Cloner .... what does it do? Is it a commercial product or a shareware application?

It sounds like some kind of back-up software. Maybe I could backup the contents of the OSX partition to one of the partitions om the "old" OS 9 Quantum disk and then reformat the new drive this time INCLUDING the OS 9 Driver and then restore the backup? '

Was that clear? Copy all the things which took hours to install and then reformat the drive, and copy the installation back?

Or will Carbon Copy Cloner simply let me install the OS 9 Driverrs on the new disk without deleting the content?

I am very interested in this.

Thanks,

Peter

Originally posted by jwblase:
If you use Carbon Copy Cloner, I believe there's an option to reinstall the OS 9 drivers on a disk without having to reformat it. I could be wrong, but I think I had to do something similar to what you're talking about several weeks ago with my beige G3 and 10.3.3 at work.

JB

peter_cph  (op)
Apr 16, 2004, 09:10 PM

Even more interesting: ... can you run Panther on a beige G3 .... I thought 10.2.8 was the limit ...

Originally posted by jwblase:
..... my beige G3 and 10.3.3 at work.

JB

peter_cph  (op)
Apr 16, 2004, 09:19 PM

Whooops ... found Carbon Copy Cloner at Versiontracker.com ... will give it a try ... sounds almost too good to be true.

P

Forum Links
Forum Rules