Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lost password to Word ducument

Lost password to Word ducument
peter_cph
Jul 30, 2004, 07:46 PM

Hi all ... greetings from Copenhagen

I tried to open a Word file today using Word X for Mac OSX and to my surprise it says it is password protected. I don't recall protecting it and I have no idea what the password could be.

Assuming there must be a way to open the file anyway, I ask for any hints and clues available.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 08:57 PM

You should just be able to hit cancel or whatever and open it in read-only format. Then do a Save As to save it without a password. Also, check your preferences in Word to make sure you don't have pass-protect on.

peter_cph  (op)
Jul 30, 2004, 09:03 PM

If it only was that easy, but unfortunately it will not let me open it at all, if i don't provide it with the correct password.

I have checked my preferences and i use Word all the time and I have never had this happen to me before.

Grrrrrr

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Peter

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
You should just be able to hit cancel or whatever and open it in read-only format. Then do a Save As to save it without a password. Also, check your preferences in Word to make sure you don't have pass-protect on.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 10:32 PM

Are you able to open it using TextEdit?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Are you able to open it using TextEdit?
interesting thought....i just tried it as a test with a word doc made in office x...when i did the "save as.." as picked the pw option, there is a choice to make it for pw to open or pw for read-only...i chose to open...well....textedit would not open it. but i suspect there must be a way, after all it is microsoft - not exactly known for having no holes in their security features.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

peter_cph  (op)
Jul 31, 2004, 03:00 AM

I tried to open de document in BBEdit, but the contents were kinda scrambled ... like it is encoded or something.

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
interesting thought....i just tried it as a test with a word doc made in office x...when i did the "save as.." as picked the pw option, there is a choice to make it for pw to open or pw for read-only...i chose to open...well....textedit would not open it. but i suspect there must be a way, after all it is microsoft - not exactly known for having no holes in their security features.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 06:48 AM

That's because BBEdit doesn't handle .doc... but it also means that the pass protection is definitely within the .doc itself, and not applied later.

I would try opening it up in various WORD-COMPATIBLE apps, to see if they just don't understand the pass protect part of the .doc but will give you the rest. If it isn't anything sensitive, you could put it up and let other people download it and try to break it... but if it is at all sensitive/private, don't, because even if we can't break it, as you said it can be opened in any other program that displays text, but kinda scrambled (even stuff you erased in the .doc might show up...)

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jul 31, 2004, 12:30 PM

there are a couple apps that purport to break a Word password.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Forum Links
Forum Rules