Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help on a mac os x movie

help on a mac os x movie
John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:26 AM

okay, I'm writing a screenplay for a movie about a person who uses a MAC, and my script is getting polished at this point in the production. but there is one part of the movie that involves certain technical matters with which i am not acquainted, so I need your help.

the main character downloads a diskimage of a pre-release operating system from McTorrent, but he has no dvd burner. unfortunately for him the installation disc is all on one dvd. now, according to the storyline, our character needs to have this operating system installed onto his computer in order to repair his relationship with his estranged father. what should he do? the solution should be realistic, because I want this script to be as believable as possible. i thought about maybe having him boot and install from the iPod, but I doubt that would work in real life.

I'm not a mac user so i have no idea how to go about solving the protagonist's dilema in a believable manner. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 01:40 AM

Sorry, Xeo is not retarded. Your sneaky cover story? It doesn't work.

In before the lock.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

John F. Smith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:42 AM

this thread is not about technical support for tiger

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 01:51 AM

INT. JOHN F. SMITH'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

A torrent file busily downloads a pre-release OS on John's desktop while he logs on to MacNN forums. He talks to himself as he posts a message:

JOHN
The main character downloads a diskimage of a pre-release operating system from McTorrent, ....but ....he has no dvd burner.... unfortunately for him the installation disc is all on one dvd.....Now, according to the storyline, our character....needs to have this operating system installed....onto his computer in order to repair his relationship with his estranged father....

John hits 'Submit Reply' and waits, hitting refresh continually, for an answer.

NEXT MORNING...

John wakes up. He has drooled over the keyboard during the night. He hits refresh to find the thread locked.

John F. Smith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
INT. JOHN F. SMITH'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

A torrent file busily downloads a pre-release OS on John's desktop while he logs on to MacNN forums. He talks to himself as he posts a message:

JOHN
The main character downloads a diskimage of a pre-release operating system from McTorrent, ....but ....he has no dvd burner.... unfortunately for him the installation disc is all on one dvd.....Now, according to the storyline, our character....needs to have this operating system installed....onto his computer in order to repair his relationship with his estranged father....

John hits 'Submit Reply' and waits, hitting refresh continually, for an answer.

NEXT MORNING...

John wakes up. He has drooled over the keyboard during the night. He hits refresh to find the thread locked.
yes, that's realistic, but in the wrong way

anyone else?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 02:04 AM

I just think it's really amazing that John's script managed to predict the exact situation that's happening right now with Tiger. Talk about having your finger on the pulse.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 02:25 AM

The main character should unmount the disk image, then open up Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo rm -R [path to .dmg file]

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 02:34 AM

Have the protagonist visit www.apple.com/developer and take the appropriate action to become a registered developer. Then, have him attend the developer's conference that took place last week. Everything will work out then.

John F. Smith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Have the protagonist visit www.apple.com/developer and take the appropriate action to become a registered developer. Then, have him attend the developer's conference that took place last week. Everything will work out then.
the protagonist used to be a developer, until he went insane and forgot to pay his annual registration fee.

SPOILER: his dad is steve jobs

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by John F. Smith:
the protagonist used to be a developer, until he went insane and forgot to pay his annual registration fee.

SPOILER: his dad is steve jobs
Have the protagonist try my suggestion.

John F. Smith  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
The main character should unmount the disk image, then open up Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo rm -R [path to .dmg file]
let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.. i'll work this into the conclusion

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2004, 04:03 AM

I'm not Xeo, but I'm just as not-retarded as he is.

John F. Smith: I've had to close an above-average percentage of threads you start. How about you stop starting threads, hm?

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules