Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Synchronization crashing

File Synchronization crashing
rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2000, 03:28 PM

I've has a Pismo Powerbook with 192mb of RAM and OS 9.0.4 for awhile and decided to start using the File Synchronization control panel to exchange files with my desktop 7500/100 with 128 megs of RAM and OS 8.1. Works unless you have a lot of files and the it crashes with an out of memory error. Tried increasing the memory for it to 10 megs (from the 2 megs or so suggested) and turned virtual memory on and it still crashes.

Any ideas?

TheNerd
May 22, 2000, 11:00 AM

I have the exact same problem on both my iBook SE and my Power Mac G3. I havn't been able to completely fix the problem, but I have some ways of avoiding it. If you delete the File Syncronization preferences, you can start from scratch without the problem. Once you've done that, you'll have to make new synchronization groups or whatever you call them. This time try making them a little smaller. For instance, have one for each subfolder in what you might have been trying to synchronize previously.

That seems to be the key...no matter how much memory you allocate to the application, it doesn't like synchronizing very many files. I wish I could provide a better solution, but that's all I've been able to come up with. Has anyone else been more successful?

rgruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2000, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by TheNerd:
If you delete the File Syncronization preferences, you can start from scratch without the problem. Once you've done that, you'll have to make new synchronization groups or whatever you call them. This time try making them a little smaller. For instance, have one for each subfolder in what you might have been trying to synchronize previously.
I appreciate your reply but once I go to that trouble (making bunches of smaller files), I might as well just drag and over write the files between machines by hand.(which is my plan going forward). It's a shame this doesn't work, it's the type of nicety in the OS that makes me love apple. I wish they could nail this.

Thanks again for your reply.

josntme
Forum Regular
May 22, 2000, 11:42 AM

I had the same problem on my wallstreet and just kept increasing the memory till it stopped crashing. If you have the memory available, why not?
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

syncman
May 22, 2000, 11:55 AM

Crashing with an out of memory error is a known problem with File Syncronization. It doesn't like custom icons in the root folder you are syncing. After deleting the custom icons for the folders I was trying to sync it has worked great for me.

rgruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2000, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by syncman:
Crashing with an out of memory error is a known problem with File Syncronization. It doesn't like custom icons in the root folder you are syncing. After deleting the custom icons for the folders I was trying to sync it has worked great for me.
How do you do this?

A. Michaels
May 22, 2000, 01:13 PM

You might try Catapault from Plum Island Software. It is designed to support synchronization across multiple computers (e.g. three machines). It gets around some of the memory issues by making heavy use of Finder copies. Right now, it's free <http://www.plumisland.com/>.

Andrew

mikebat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2000, 08:30 PM

To remove the custom icon(s), Get Info on the folder(s) and click the icon at the top left. Then choose "Clear" from the edit menu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules