Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 7)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 05:17 PM

Finally got the k/d back above 1.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 07:50 PM

Sometimes, its just not my fault.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2011, 09:13 AM

Well I was going to complain about my team-mates again, then I saw at the bottom of my team, 2 players who just kicked arse. Glitch in the stats, or am I missing something?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2011, 06:24 PM

That Squad based TDM isn't bad, but I like tanks and mines and RPGs.

Quintuple post, but then I seem to be the only one who gives a shit about this game. Same in my clan.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 09:52 AM

Pretty sure that I just shot down a plane with the Russian AA weapon. It was this match, but there doesn't seem to be any detail.

EDIT : says 0 kills under the PANTSIR-S1 info. I was sure that I saw a Vehicle Destroyed pop up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 11:01 AM

For a guy who seems intent on ditching this, you sure are putting a lot of time and effort in. Your time invested is pretty close to mine.

I really didn't get to play until Sunday, and it was mostly a frustrating affair this weekend (as noted in the precipitous drop in my w/l ratio).

Among the noteworthy events, jumped into a chopper on Caspian and actually made a game of it. Destroyed or disabled three tanks and a Jeep, as the pilot. I was shot down twice, but the first time I pulled of an unusual and unlikely maneuver – I took the chopper in low to the ground and landed (Hard) and then I jumped out, repaired it, and took it back up! Pretty sweet. In the end I almost leveled it twice, but now I finally have the Flares that should come standard on the damn thing.

Also noteworthy: I had a squad-member as copilot. When we set down he helped repair but he jumped in first and was pilot. He then switched with me so I could pilot again. It's a XBOX Live Miracle (He then proceeded to repeat the sequence only with a tank we were in after we were shot down the second time).

I also (inadvertently) stopped a few Jihad Jeeps yesterday. Nothing makes me happier to see in a tank than the unarmored Jeep, but twice I blew one up and suddenly got Destroyed Enemy Explosive come up, betraying that I may have narrowly avoided disaster.

Speaking of C4, I had a field day with it on Seine. If your familiar with the busy stairway between C and A, I chucked a brick down there and retreated. Then I heard a teammate get into a firefight in there. When he lost, I just detonated and I got a double-kill on some invaders. I repeated again a minute later, but after that I moved on – it's gratifying a bit boring.

Other achievments this weekend:

• Got my first Suppression medal. Getting 7 suppression assists in a round is difficult. I feel like some of these medal requirements don't take into account how much harder they are to achieve on console player counts.
• Got my first Service Star on the Tank
• Got my third Service Star with the M249

---

I gave some of the other modes a chance this weekend as well. TDM does seem a little better,but I still don't get why they didn't create "sides" like Rush or Conquest. I've also figured out that you should wait to spawn until the game starts as initial spawning is still ass (I noticed that there were times when I went to deploy in games where I'd press the button several times in a row before it would work. I assume this is the game saying "Nope, that's a bad spawn.")

Jumped into a game with Chris Gilpin (On a euro server, oddly). Server was having serious joining and balancing issues, but once I got on his team we crushed it on Caspian. Then we went to play something else and my XBOX locked. Not too surprised – it had been running all day and BF3 seems to tax the thing quite a bit more than most games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Pretty sure that I just shot down a plane with the Russian AA weapon. It was this match, but there doesn't seem to be any detail.

EDIT : says 0 kills under the PANTSIR-S1 info. I was sure that I saw a Vehicle Destroyed pop up.
That's one of the odd statistical issues of the game. Just because you destroy a vehicle doesn't mean you killed the occupant – mostly because they can bail. Jets have it worst because it's already hard enough to get a disable without having the pilot bail before he dies.

Oh, and using the Stinger on air support even without flares seems worthless.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 11:05 AM

Think that it was 3 tank kills and one jeep. I fear no jeep, spray the gunner first and the driver is an easy victim.

THE key to not being harassed by tanks, is to goto the flag nearest their spawn and plant some pretty little mines along the road.

Cheered me right up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 04:49 PM

First game on the "Jesus WTF is wrong with this server?"

Second, utter domination on the "Jesus, WTF is wrong with this server?"

111% accuracy?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
For a guy who seems intent on ditching this, you sure are putting a lot of time and effort in. Your time invested is pretty close to mine.
At one point I passed your play time. Pity that I just cannot get the high scores that you do.

Yes, I'm addicted. It really is a very very good game and there are times when I have such fun in a game only to be slightly disappointed with my results. I shouldn't care about my stats, but I know that you're watching.

Also noteworthy: I had a squad-member as copilot. When we set down he helped repair but he jumped in first and was pilot. He then switched with me so I could pilot again. It's a XBOX Live Miracle (He then proceeded to repeat the sequence only with a tank we were in after we were shot down the second time).
I've seen more polite people in the past few days of BF3 than in the months of MW2 (or Waw, or Blops). I have a feeling that kiddies stay away, which possibly makes everyone a bit more chilled. Plus there is the teamwork aspect of course.

I also (inadvertently) stopped a few Jihad Jeeps yesterday. Nothing makes me happier to see in a tank than the unarmored Jeep, but twice I blew one up and suddenly got Destroyed Enemy Explosive come up, betraying that I may have narrowly avoided disaster.
Aha, Jihad jeep. That explains other events in my games, like jeeps going over mines.

Speaking of C4, I had a field day with it on Seine. If your familiar with the busy stairway between C and A, I chucked a brick down there and retreated. Then I heard a teammate get into a firefight in there. When he lost, I just detonated and I got a double-kill on some invaders. I repeated again a minute later, but after that I moved on – it's gratifying a bit boring.
Know it well, and I never go up it. I'd tell you what I like doing around there but you've already got the skill advantage - so I won't.

Jumped into a game with Chris Gilpin (On a euro server, oddly). Server was having serious joining and balancing issues, but once I got on his team we crushed it on Caspian. Then we went to play something else and my XBOX locked. Not too surprised – it had been running all day and BF3 seems to tax the thing quite a bit more than most games.
No idea who this is, Googled but still no idea. I've had several hard reboots over the past few days after playing BF3, reckon it heats up a bit do you?

That's one of the odd statistical issues of the game. Just because you destroy a vehicle doesn't mean you killed the occupant – mostly because they can bail. Jets have it worst because it's already hard enough to get a disable without having the pilot bail before he dies.

Oh, and using the Stinger on air support even without flares seems worthless.
Agreed, and lots of heli pilots have them now as well. Can't remember when I last equipped anti-air.

Chopper that I was in (not pilot, not side gunner but still able to shoot stuff - maybe Havoc or Viper) ditched far out to sea after some very impressive flying. I didn't bail in time and ended up doing what felt like the 2 mile swim. Speaking of parachuting, did you know that you can sort of direct yourself? Use the left thumb stick.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 05:22 PM

At one point I passed your play time. Pity that I just cannot get the high scores that you do.
Honestly, in Conquest it's all about the continuous neutralization and capture of points. Kills is peanuts. (Destroying full vehicles doesn't hurt, however)

Aha, Jihad jeep. That explains other events in my games, like jeeps going over mines.
Well, they are used for regular transport, too.

Know it well, and I never go up it. I'd tell you what I like doing around there but you've already got the skill advantage - so I won't.
I rarely go up unless a teammate leads or we own the area. I was hiding on the high side, at C.

No idea who this is, Googled but still no idea.
Lurker.

Speaking of parachuting, did you know that you can sort of direct yourself? Use the left thumb stick.
Um, yeah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2011, 09:59 AM

Had another interesting night.

Had a terrible game on Tehran highway – not me, but my team. We went, capped B to start, but a segment of the team never got around to A. Falling back to secure it we lost B, and that's when the hell began. An infinite onslaught from the Russians invading to take A took place and I really couldn't account for more than half the team while it was happening. They kept pushing us further and further back, to the point where they captured it and I started terrorizing people who spawned in it. Finally, they caught me (mostly thanks to lag), and that's when I realized – I had like 10+ streak defending the point. Several times I had killed a person with the last bullet in the chamber, or without ADSing. I had picked up an engineer's kit because I was out of ammo, and used the unfamiliar A-91 (I like it). It was an amazing feeling run, and coincidentally, afterwards my team started turning things around. We resecured A. We started to pummel B. I grabbed one of the LAVs and gave hell to tother LAVs or Tanks. IN the end we won by 60 tickets, which seems generous given how poorly the game started.

Oh, I went 32-4. Battlereport

On the shittier side, had a game on Seine where my team again seemed incapable of capping two point to start. BY mid game I spawned at our base and found the answer. Literally a third of the team was in spawn sniping or ****ing around. Soul-crushing (It's not even a good map for sniping!).

My last game of the night was one I had been waiting for, Operation Metro. It was more amazing than I could have hoped. We quickly take A and B, and my team doesn't let up.They start fighting their way down the escalators and push so hard the enemy stops attempting to come up. I'm running around like crazy healing and reviving. Going all Saving Private Ryan.

Eventually we start capping C. It gets bloody but there's so many of us down there that the Squad spawning keeps us in it. We cap C and then we keep pushing. The last five miutes of the game my team was past C and just hammering on the US spawn. Those poor ****s were trapped. Everytime they managed to kill someone he was revived or another soldier took his place. It was cruel. In the end we won with 298 tickets left. A slaughter of epic proportions.
Battlereport

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2011, 11:36 AM

Can't say much about this game even though I have it since the release date - it always crashes after 1sec -10min in the game...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2011, 01:40 PM

Oh, I went 32-4. Battlereport
I like one of your team-mates name : IDineOnVagine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2011, 01:41 PM

You using heavy barrel on anything? I find the kick annoying.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Can't say much about this game even though I have it since the release date - it always crashes after 1sec -10min in the game...
PC?

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2011, 12:44 PM

PC?
Yeah, sure! I don't play FPS on the PS3!

I solved that problem though! I really messed with my WIN7 partition trying to find a solution for the BF3 problem and was forced to re-install the OS and BFBC2 and BF3 (that's all I use Windows for) and now it works like a charm!
I still wonder why BF3 didn't work before, because I didn't have any problems with BFBC2.
I finished the single player yesterday (damn that was great!!), played a CO-OP game with a friend and maybe 1h online so far...

Unfortunately this game seems to make it very easy to level up! You only need a medic and an opponent who agrees to this crap... (I'm not going into detail)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2011, 01:56 PM

Yeah, boosting. The bane of all FPSs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 11:44 AM

Well, I'm back on this. It's still good. Second game back I pulled MVP even though I didn't have a hang of killing back yet. Having people you know on really helps. Euthyphro tends to be my tank buddy and it results in some epic battles with tanks and makes a bit of an unstoppable force (so long as I keep an eye out for mines).

Biggest thing I've noticed on return (probably influenced by MW3s claustrophobic maps) is the player counts on consoles is a bit low for most of the maps (Though I'd hate to play Metro or Grand Bazaar with more 32 peeps).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 06:33 PM

This will sound like I'm sucking up to you, but I was thinking about a BF3 game tonight. The only reason that it didn't go in was the effort to walk over to the bookshelf and get the case instead of opening up the MW3 one which is right beside the Xbox. MW3 is just so meh now and even Skyrim doesn't appeal.

I shall slap it back in, but I have no idea if my EA account is still active.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 06:40 AM

Played last night. What a great game, even with the low scores that I got (one MVP3) it was still enjoyable. Need to reconnect to the Battlelog site, because this time I'm sure that I shot down an aircraft with one of the anti-air weapons that you have at spawn points.

Now, for the SV98 : Bipod or Straight pull bolt? Gotta say that I'm used to un-scoping to reload and I read that the bipod increases accuracy and reduces kick.
( Last edited by mattyb; Feb 2, 2012 at 06:53 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 06:41 AM

I didn't even consider Rush or TDM matches.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2012, 03:13 PM

anyone one xbox live willing to to play BF3 with some sense of team chatter?

XBL: OJester

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 03:15 PM

It depends on what game modes you're playing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 04:20 PM

Now, for the SV98 : Bipod or Straight pull bolt? Gotta say that I'm used to un-scoping to reload and I read that the bipod increases accuracy and reduces kick.
I don't know, I just unlocked the straight-pull and haven't actually played with it yet (I think).

It can be a little annoying when you're tracking someone to have to descope to reload. Since I'm out of practice I forget a lot.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 04:00 AM

Know how you feel Dakar, going from MW3 to BF3 doesn't help.

335m headshot last night on one of the new maps. The guy was on one of those not-yet-finished buidlings, really high up - no idea how he got there.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 04:11 AM

Speaking of the new maps, Wake Island is 'interesting'. Dunno if I like it or not (only 1 game). Easy to do the engineer thing and plant mines along the one or two main roads, but also it seems easier for flyers to get you (they just have to fly in a circle basically).

Gulf of Oman (where I got my long headshot) was fun. Sort of 2 maps in one, a confined town area and wide open spaces around.

Sharqi seemed OK, but like Wake, I only had one game.

Were there any more? If so I haven't seen them yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2012, 11:53 AM

Know how you feel Dakar, going from MW3 to BF3 doesn't help.
After the initial day or so, I'm definitely struggling. My gun-on-gun fighting is just terrible. I might need to suffer some TDM or SDM to get in the groove, as firefights are too few and far inbetween to really let me learn anything in Conquest.

Speaking of Conquest, playing with 11 players can be so frustrating when there's obvious retards on your team. Guys camping helicopters (and then crashing them moments after take-off), people who refuse to gun on tanks (BTW, that third slot that paints can be clutch), and just general noobs that seem to hang around spawn and do... nothing.

DICE does deserve some of the blame, however. There's no where to learn how to fly and drive any of the vehicles (let alone learn their capabilities), meaning your team must suffer for your team mates to get "better".

Speaking of which, I jumped in a Jet last night out of boredom. Lasted about 30 seconds, 20 of which was me constantly banking right trying find a jet I'm sure I had passed. I'm not gonna pretend I get it, but what little I've seen seems stale.

The last few second I heard the enemy lock on and couldn't fire my flares and died. After the game I realized I had no flares, because I haven't enough experience to unlock them. Retarded.

335m headshot last night on one of the new maps. The guy was on one of those not-yet-finished buidlings, really high up - no idea how he got there.
That crushing. Mine is around 130m. Tried the straight-pull, would say its worth it over bipods.

I also tried the MAV for the first time last night. I can't tell how handy it is for my team, but I can be sure that the points pay-outs are terrible on already gimped class for points.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2012, 04:26 AM

It depends on what game modes you're playing.
Rush?

But I'm open to any other game mode as well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2012, 04:08 PM

After the initial day or so, I'm definitely struggling. My gun-on-gun fighting is just terrible. I might need to suffer some TDM or SDM to get in the groove, as firefights are too few and far inbetween to really let me learn anything in Conquest.

Speaking of Conquest, playing with 11 players can be so frustrating when there's obvious retards on your team. Guys camping helicopters (and then crashing them moments after take-off), people who refuse to gun on tanks (BTW, that third slot that paints can be clutch), and just general noobs that seem to hang around spawn and do... nothing.

DICE does deserve some of the blame, however. There's no where to learn how to fly and drive any of the vehicles (let alone learn their capabilities), meaning your team must suffer for your team mates to get "better".

Speaking of which, I jumped in a Jet last night out of boredom. Lasted about 30 seconds, 20 of which was me constantly banking right trying find a jet I'm sure I had passed. I'm not gonna pretend I get it, but what little I've seen seems stale.

That crushing. Mine is around 130m. Tried the straight-pull, would say its worth it over bipods.
I've had 2 nightmare days of BF3. Really really very bad. Put MW3 back-in bad. Nobody talks, nobody lets me repair their tank, nobody uses a Javelin if I'm on a SOFLAM. Nobody plays as a team. The only time I enjoyed this game was when going solo sniper and not giving a shit about team-mates. Pity.

My 335m is a real head-shot but I've read that people are using the eod bots and getting headshot records by going to the other side of large maps. Why Dice, why does using the eod bot count as a long-range headshot? Bizarre.

I've tried the planes as well and if I don't die because I have no idea how to get back to the actual flying area, I get an air-to-air up my arse very quickly. Haven't touched a heli in a while.

I'll try the straight bolt for a bit.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2012, 12:04 AM

mattyb, sounds like you and I could play together, I have my third service star as an engineer and scream at the tv when no one will help me with a soflam. I'm also getting better and better with the huey, and slowly, very slowly with the attack helicopters and jets.

working as a team in BF3 is not only obscenely rewarded with points but with wins and points for fun.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
mattyb, sounds like you and I could play together, I have my third service star as an engineer and scream at the tv when no one will help me with a soflam. I'm also getting better and better with the huey, and slowly, very slowly with the attack helicopters and jets.

working as a team in BF3 is not only obscenely rewarded with points but with wins and points for fun.
Send me a FR Dex, although the Calif (San Jose in Calif right?) France time difference might cause problems.

Jumped into Rush this afternoon, dunno why, and I've been enjoying it - even when loosing. I'm still not getting great scores though, don't think that I've done a double figure kills for a while now. But at least its fun.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2012, 02:01 PM

Oh yeah, mortars can be quite fun.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2012, 02:22 PM

I have always been a huge fan of FPS and I have to say, BF3 is probably the best I have ever played. Absolutely love the teamwork involved and going through and unlocking guns and attachments through co-op and multiplayer and assignments definitely keeps it interesting.

what gear do you use? I rocked the FAMAS with foregrip/heavy barrel until I unlocked the G3A3 in co-op...that is a a beast of an assault rifle (most damage per second of the rifles) but the big selling point for me was using the underslung rail to attach the M26 MASS shotgun-WOW, that has to be the best shotgun in the game. 90% of the time it is a one hit kill, very quiet, very little recoil. being able to switch from long distance bursts to close range shotgun so quickly is amazing. very easy to rattle of 4 or 5 kill streaks. my favorite scope is the PKA 3.4x but the zoom is a little much coupled with the recoil on the G3 so I just use the RDS with a suppressor and underslung.

I thought it couldn't get any better than the G3 until I started messing around with the KH2002. very fun gun, very accurate. my biggest problem with this gun is running out of ammo. you can still use the M26 as a separate weapon too. if you've never used the M26, I'd recommend taking a few conquest games and trying it on a map like Operation Metro.

I don't use the L96 or other long range snipers very much. I like the semi-autos though, the QBU/MK11 with the PKA and foregrip. I like being able to rattle off 3 powerful shots quickly and I've gotten quite good at this, once you get the feel of whichever semi-auto you're using. I started with the QBU and I've unlocked everything for it, but I'm going back the MK11 because of the faster reload rate and faster bullet velocity

when I am engineer, I almost always use the SG553 with foregrip and heavy barrel- by far my favorite Engineer weapon. I'm almost never Support, hell I havent even unlocked all the weapons for Support yet, but when I am I use the MG36.

One of my favorite aspects of the game are the all kit weapons. Dakar mentioned messing with the MAV- once I realized what this could do, this becomes indispensable on Conquest maps. If it is close quarters I will use the PP19 or 870CMS with Flechette rounds, fly the MAV to whatever Cap point is closest or most active, park it high somewhere hidden, then approach and let the motion sensor identify any enemies around there. this works very well. the PP19 has a 55 round clip and you can just dump on people.

I haven't yet mastered this setup yet, but on maps like Knoshar Canals or CQB maps I'll be Assault, equip the M26 MASS with Flechette rounds but also rock the 870CMS with slugs (for medium-long range shots). This is super fun, running around with two shotguns, and if you've never used Slugs with the 870, it can be very accurate at medium range and most the time is a one hit kill. This has to be the best part about this game- messing around with different guns, attachments and figuring out what works best in each scenario

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I have always been a huge fan of FPS and I have to say, BF3 is probably the best I have ever played. Absolutely love the teamwork involved and going through and unlocking guns and attachments through co-op and multiplayer and assignments definitely keeps it interesting.

what gear do you use? I rocked the FAMAS with foregrip/heavy barrel until I unlocked the G3A3 in co-op...that is a a beast of an assault rifle (most damage per second of the rifles) but the big selling point for me was using the underslung rail to attach the M26 MASS shotgun-WOW, that has to be the best shotgun in the game. 90% of the time it is a one hit kill, very quiet, very little recoil. being able to switch from long distance bursts to close range shotgun so quickly is amazing. very easy to rattle of 4 or 5 kill streaks. my favorite scope is the PKA 3.4x but the zoom is a little much coupled with the recoil on the G3 so I just use the RDS with a suppressor and underslung.

I thought it couldn't get any better than the G3 until I started messing around with the KH2002. very fun gun, very accurate. my biggest problem with this gun is running out of ammo. you can still use the M26 as a separate weapon too. if you've never used the M26, I'd recommend taking a few conquest games and trying it on a map like Operation Metro.

I don't use the L96 or other long range snipers very much. I like the semi-autos though, the QBU/MK11 with the PKA and foregrip. I like being able to rattle off 3 powerful shots quickly and I've gotten quite good at this, once you get the feel of whichever semi-auto you're using. I started with the QBU and I've unlocked everything for it, but I'm going back the MK11 because of the faster reload rate and faster bullet velocity

when I am engineer, I almost always use the SG553 with foregrip and heavy barrel- by far my favorite Engineer weapon. I'm almost never Support, hell I havent even unlocked all the weapons for Support yet, but when I am I use the MG36.

One of my favorite aspects of the game are the all kit weapons. Dakar mentioned messing with the MAV- once I realized what this could do, this becomes indispensable on Conquest maps. If it is close quarters I will use the PP19 or 870CMS with Flechette rounds, fly the MAV to whatever Cap point is closest or most active, park it high somewhere hidden, then approach and let the motion sensor identify any enemies around there. this works very well. the PP19 has a 55 round clip and you can just dump on people.

I haven't yet mastered this setup yet, but on maps like Knoshar Canals or CQB maps I'll be Assault, equip the M26 MASS with Flechette rounds but also rock the 870CMS with slugs (for medium-long range shots). This is super fun, running around with two shotguns, and if you've never used Slugs with the 870, it can be very accurate at medium range and most the time is a one hit kill. This has to be the best part about this game- messing around with different guns, attachments and figuring out what works best in each scenario
Cheers for the review/opinions abbaZaba.

I haven't played any co-op - is the the only way that you can unlock some weapons?

I haven't gotten the Famas or SG553 yet. I'm one snipe away from the QBU-88. Long way to go for the MG36.

I enjoy the Support, Recon and Engineer classes, but I have never had fun doing assault. People die just as I reach them, then of course I get killed.

What platform are you on?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2012, 04:00 PM

strongly recommend unlocking all the co-op missions. a lot of my favorite weapons are only unlockable through it: SG553, G3A3, and my favorite pistol the 93R. First mission is fine, but the second almost made me kick through the TV. it is a helicopter mission and one person drives while the other shoots and provides cover for the mission. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to drive the damn heli but after I got the hang of it this guy and I got through it and then proceeded to go through every co-op mission. Extremely fun to do with someone who is not an idiot. Very rewarding and this was probably the most fun stretch I've had playing BF3. took about 1-2 hours.

FAMAS is unlockable through assignments which appeared in BtK expansion and it is another interesting way to unlock 10 more weapons: you have to do more than just kill people like playing on maps for x amount of time or getting 50 rocket kills or destroying a vehicle with a repair torch (so very hard).

Seriously, if you don't have fun on Assault, try equipping the M26 on the M416 (since you don't have the G3) and hop in a TDM server.

One of the things that pisses me off is people not providing team support and by this I mean by dropping ammo or health or reviving. I can't tell you how many times I've run out of ammo after going on a massive kill streak and some dumb support jagoff is right next to me NOT DROPPING AMMO even though I'm mashing the Back button.

But I do know what you're talking about: I love reviving people and it is the key to success on any map/game mode but very often I see someone, run towards them and they respawn as the defib is triggered. Lame, but somewhat analogous to real life I guess?

When I'm playing Conquest I'm nearly always Recon or Engineer, recon to provide enemy movement to my team with the MAV (I never snipe though- if I'm recon on Conquest I'll use the PP19 or the 870CMS) and Engineer to deal with vehicles simply because it's frustrating to be stuck behind cover with an enemy tank right next to you and no way to hurt it/blow it up. And I like the SG553 a LOT- if that was an All Kit weapon I'd be very happy.

I play on Xbox
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Feb 5, 2012 at 04:34 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2012, 04:09 PM

as for the Semi-auto sniper rifles, I was super stoked to unlock the QBU and I used that so much I unlocked everything for it but some guy who has way too much free time made a review of every gun in the game and pointed out that the bullet velocity is slower, the reload is slower, and there is less suppression on hits than the MK11 with no difference in damage, so I'm going back to using the MK11. once I unlock the PKA on that one, I'll be golden. Also, I never use a supressor on the semi-autos unless I'm in a small TDM map like Sharqi. I can be pretty silently deadly on that map

as for attachments, I will almost always use a suppressor with an AR- for the G3 it helps a lot with the recoil. Toss a suppressor and foregrip on the L85A2 (third fav AR) or the FAMAS and you're dealing with very very little recoil. Same with the KH2002. I was in TDM on Wake Island the other night with KH2002/PKA 3.4x/Heavy Barrel/Foregrip and I went 26-4 with 2 bullshit deaths from the shitty respawn system, so it was a good game. But my go-to gear is the G3A3/RDS/underslung rail/suppressor/M26 Flechette underneath. I have never seen anyone rock this setup in the game yet. I really think the M26 is a hidden gem. As I mentioned before, the G3 recoil is a bit much for the PKA even with a suppressor. you can put a bipod on the G3 too, but I haven't messed with this much.

I forgot to mention, the PP19 (all kit weapon I use mainly for recon) has extremely good hip firing accuracy and this is improved immensely with a laser sight- you almost don't even need to aim down the sights. Wish it had a heavy barrel though
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Feb 5, 2012 at 04:31 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2012, 04:21 PM

as for sights, I love the RDS (obviously). that goes on G3 and the 870CMS. if I want a little bit more magnification, I'll use the PKA-S Holo. I am convinced this is has more mag than the RDS and the other Holo, but this might just be in my head.

PKA 3.4x goes on QBU/MK11/FAMAS/KH2002/L85A2. I like this sight because it's only got the little chevron. I put a laser sight on the QBU when I'm sniping with this and it helps a lot. I hate the ACOG and the M314- too much shit on it that gets in the way. I'm not going to be shooting far enough that I'm gonna need a bullet drop indicator, I can judge that easy enough with my eyes.

Like I mentioned, I don't really ever do long range sniping. the scope sway is too much for me and I have a hard time pressing the Hold Breath button and NOT moving- kind of hard to explain but more often than not when I'm holding that analog stick down to hold breath, I'm tilting the joystick up ever so slightly and thus moving and thus killing any accuracy. I wish I could map the Hold Breath to a different button, like the LB or something. Maybe I can but I haven't even checked to see if I can change this.

If I do use a higher mag scope on the L96 or MK11 I'll only go up to 8x. the 12x just seems too much for me. but I've simply gotten too good at quickly bringing up the PKA on the QBU and popping off 3 shots for a kill. Headshots are one hit kills but I'm usually aiming too quickly to worry about putting one right on the face. Two chest shots are good enough with a third popped off for insurance. I'm more of a mobile Recon player anyway. stay in one place too long and you're going to get clayed
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Feb 5, 2012 at 04:30 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2012, 06:53 AM

Would be interested to see your (Dex and abbaZaba) stats, are you guys on Battlelog? I'm either Ze Veteran or Teh_Veteran (not sure what is needed to add a friend).

Ramble here : I've unlocked a few weapons through the Assignments. Must say that the default sights on the Famas are SHITE. Not tried the QBU yet. Pity that I can't be the 3rd person in a tank with some team-mates who are higher ranked than I am. I (somehow) ended up being a squad leader for a few games yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Plus you get a few points when people actually follow your orders. Maybe the fact that I'm playing on European servers means that there aren't many people chatting. I was the only one for hours who had my mike plugged in. I shouldn't post that I'm enjoying something. Each time I do I then get the shit kicked out of me. No more Rush for a while.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

Dakar, who did you do co-op with?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2012, 06:56 PM

I flew a plane and didn't get shot down or crash.

Next step : shoot something down.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2012, 07:25 PM

Hey I am playing right now. "general lizow" hit me up if you wanna play together

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2012, 05:21 AM

Time difference might be a factor, but if I see you on I'll try and join you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2012, 06:34 PM

I am a looooooooooooooser

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
Rush?

But I'm open to any other game mode as well.
Ack. Rush is a bit of a death funnel for me. As mch as try not to focus on k/d on this game, it's hard to ignore the slaughter that is Rush.

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
One of the things that pisses me off is people not providing team support and by this I mean by dropping ammo or health or reviving. I can't tell you how many times I've run out of ammo after going on a massive kill streak and some dumb support jagoff is right next to me NOT DROPPING AMMO even though I'm mashing the Back button.
Had this last night. From what i can tell, shooting a team mate in the face is the universal signal for "Drop your shit." Much like knifing means move in Call of Duty.

Dakar, who did you do co-op with?
A friend and a random. Went poorly. I only learned later that you should only do it on easy. Seemed like a real grind.

I flew a plane and didn't get shot down or crash.

Next step : shoot something down.
The unlocks on this game are shit. Air warfare is completely ****ed if you have nothing unlocked, and it's impossible to gain XP. Not to mention outside of the helicopters it seems completely pointless. I feel like they need to give out xp for time served for all classes and vehicles. I mean, if I spend 8 minutes trying to snipe, I deserve some credit for trying to grind the damn class, right?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2012, 12:36 PM

The unlocks on this game are shit. Air warfare is completely ****ed if you have nothing unlocked, and it's impossible to gain XP. Not to mention outside of the helicopters it seems completely pointless. I feel like they need to give out xp for time served for all classes and vehicles. I mean, if I spend 8 minutes trying to snipe, I deserve some credit for trying to grind the damn class, right?
The planes are worse than the helis, at least in a heli you can tag along and get some points for assists or for repairing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2012, 02:36 PM

Worst loss ever last night. Followed by a clutch win.

Edit: Order of images reversed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 11:22 AM

Thoughts on last night, Jawbone?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2012, 12:33 PM

The last time I derived that much enjoyment from partying up on a shooter was during the MW2 days. It felt fresh. I loved it.

The comeback victory was amazing. I can't wait to get back on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 12:34 PM

Too bad we blew the game on Operation Firestorm wandering around in the heli.

Also we lost a lot more games than I realized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules