Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Bribery concerns follow Apple meet with Russian officials

Bribery concerns follow Apple meet with Russian officials
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 30, 2013, 12:13 PM

Apple could be guilty of trying to bribe Russian officials through a seminar in London, according to Russian news agency Regnum. The service says that Apple is organizing a week-long event during which Russian regional ministers of education and other officials, responsible for public purchases, will be familiarized with Apple products. People participating in the event will stay in downtown London, and visit Apple Stores outside customer hours.

The controversy lies with the timing of the trip, since the Russian government is said to be preparing equipment modernization tenders worth up to 2 billion rubles ($66.5 million) per region. Russia's National Anti-Corruption Committee is arguing for an investigation, because if the officials' trips were financed by Apple that could be seen as undue influence, and even if the trips were paid for by regional governments, the Russian Audit Chamber may need to step in. Apple tells Regnum that it paid for the trips of trainers, but not government officials. The company is heavily involved with the educational market; although most of its sales are to the general public, Macs are a staple of many Western schools, and are rapidly being joined by iPads.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Apple could be guilty of trying to bribe Russian officials through a seminar in London. ...
This article is rather ludicrously phrased isn't it?

The whole idea of "trying to bribe Russian officials" is a bit silly considering that Russia is a completely corrupt and morally bankrupt state in the first place. In dealings with Russia, the task is to avoid "bribing Russian officials." The idea is to find some way to get business done without knuckling under to the endemic corruption.

The fact that the "anti-corruption committee" has focussed on Apple smacks of the kind of underhanded tactics that Greenpeace is now famous for as well. They choose Apple simply because of the high profile the company has, while ignoring rampant corruption elsewhere simply because they want to popularise their cause.

It seems more likely that every other player in this story (including the "anti-corruption committee"), has a morals problem, not Apple.

saoir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2013, 02:38 PM

"Apple could be guilty of trying to bribe Russian officials through a seminar in London. ..."

Excuse me ? Russia is a country where Bribery is the name of the game. Bribery is endemic in ALL business and commerce. Bribery is endemic in the local Police and local authorities.

Don't make me laugh .....

fooshuse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2013, 04:03 PM

Excuse me ? Russia is a country where Bribery is the name of the game. Bribery is endemic in ALL business and commerce. Bribery is endemic in the local Police and local authorities.
And that never never never happens here on any sort of wide scale. Not ever. Cops, Banks, Gov, Judges? no? not here.

And your many visits to Russia, Europe, Asia or otherwise have proven this to you. Oh, you've never left your own state? That's ok - I'd consider you an expert none the less, it's written on the interwebs so it has to be true.

We have the same issue here - don't believe me? You were NOT being sarcastic? Oh. Never mind then. Carry on ...

apostle
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2013, 04:56 PM

It may just be in response to Vladimar Putin's (seemingly) stricter stance on policies. Russia's National Anti-Corruption Commitee may simply be going more "by the book".

I love the name of that paper. It's from that Stephen King story, isn't it?

"REG-NUM! REG-NUM!"

=0P

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by fooshuse View Post
And that never never never happens here on any sort of wide scale. Not ever. Cops, Banks, Gov, Judges? no? not here.

And your many visits to Russia, Europe, Asia or otherwise have proven this to you. Oh, you've never left your own state? That's ok - I'd consider you an expert none the less, it's written on the interwebs so it has to be true.
You are trying to argue that there are no differences in the level of corruption between, say, upstate New York, Sweden, Germany, Russia, and the Ukraine?

And you know this because which business are you in, exactly, that has taken you on business trips that allow you to compare the experiences?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 31, 2013, 01:02 AM

I'm sorry, but Russians are more openly corrupt. For instance, in LA, you can say that they are dominant in the medical field where they are under constant investigations, and are a target of sting operations involved with Medi-Cal. They like their secret compartments custom made in cars to hide weapons, and are flamboyant and reckless to a general degree, which only makes things worse. Guess learning the hard way is a part of life.

But then again, that can be said about anybody.

I think every ethnicity is good at their own field of corruption when it is to be the epicenter of growth, which usually involves the quick & greedy, riskier path.

fooshuse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2013, 06:53 PM

You are trying to argue that there are no differences in the level of corruption between, say, upstate New York, Sweden, Germany, Russia, and the Ukraine?
Upstate NY? You're using Buffalo as an example for corruption? Yikes.

I'd say they all have issues. Wouldn't you? As for the Ukraine, well, you might have a point there....

And you know this because which business are you in, exactly, that has taken you on business trips that allow you to compare the experiences?
Yes actually, I honestly travel quite extensively for work. Software. I haven't had to bribe anyone but a doorman in NYC, and that was 20 bucks to get in so that doesn't count.

I'm just joking around, not trolling so don't worry.

By the way - blahblahbber - nice one

Forum Links
Forum Rules