Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Futurama coming back...with entirely different voices

Futurama coming back...with entirely different voices
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 10:20 PM

...unless Fox can afford to meet the original voice actors' salary demands.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f140dbc42e7419

I don't know about you, but this is total bullshit. I doubt anyone would have a clue who Billy West is if it weren't for his casting as the voice of Fry. Unless their salary demands were like $50k a year and Fox couldn't pony up the cash, I'm guessing they wanted way more than they need or deserve.

It's going to suck if Futurama comes back with none of its original voice actors.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 10:22 PM

That's ridiculous.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I don't know about you, but this is total bullshit. I doubt anyone would have a clue who Billy West is if it weren't for his casting as the voice of Fry. Unless their salary demands were like $50k a year and Fox couldn't pony up the cash, I'm guessing they wanted way more than they need or deserve.
Um, but I bet people who are going to watch Futurama know damn well what his voice sounds like. That's the point. I say, good for Billy West.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2009, 11:25 PM

I don't know about you, but this is total bullshit. I doubt anyone would have a clue who Billy West is if it weren't for his casting as the voice of Fry.
Dude, Fry isn't even West's biggest role.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 11:43 PM

Bad news, everyone!
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 01:21 AM

This is payback for Fox jerking them around.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yeah, I loved him as Batman.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 03:33 AM

...unless Fox can afford...

Unless their salary demands were like $50k a year and Fox couldn't pony up the cash...

Sorry, but whaaaaaaaaat?

Just because these things are cartoons doesn't mean some serious money isn't involved. Prime time animated shows are among the most profitable things on TV. There's a reason Seth MacFarlane is the highest paid producer in TV- Family Guy generates 5 BILLION a year for Fox. Yes Virginia, they can afford to cut him his $100,000,000 checks.

For a little perspective, Simpsons voice actors pull down $400,000 PER EPISODE, plus royalties. It may sound like a lot, but it's a tiny fraction of the gargantuan sum of money the show generates- the voice actors deserve every penny and more, because no one else involved is making a friggen dime without them.

Futurama also generates gargantuan sums of money in its own right, (and new episodes certainly will continue that) so the voice actors would be insane not to demand a fair share of it. Unless these people are insane, we're talking at least $100k PER, probably two or three times that.

The idea of Fox not being able to 'afford' to pay actors for properties that literally generate billions of dollars for them, is laughable.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2009, 04:06 AM

This Wired article says they were looking for $75k per episode.

Fox Ditching Futurama’s Voice Actors? (Updated) | Underwire | Wired.com

Futurama was never as popular as the simpsons or family guy though. I know it has a decent following, enough to bring it back from death at least.

I would imagine this is just a negotiating tactic for fox, and a silly one at that.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 04:24 AM

They did the same thing when the Simpson's actors first looked around, saw everyone else swimming in piles of money and went "Waiiiiiiit a friggen minute..." and demanded some real money for their work, while every other TV actor on far lesser shows was making way more than they were working on a mega-hit. Fox threatened to fire them all and bring in other actors- then ended up quadrupling their pay, which is telling in how much they were willingly ripping them off beforehand.

$75k per is still peanuts. Even as a 'lesser' profitable animated show, it will generate as much or more money as most live action shows- the actors deserve their cut. They've probably just calculated that they can pretend to hardball the actors (knowing full well they'll pay them whatever), while making sure all this generates more interest in the show- the same tactic they originally pulled with the Simpsons.

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I agree. Stimpy rules!
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
They did the same thing when the Simpson's actors first looked around, saw everyone else swimming in piles of money and went "Waiiiiiiit a friggen minute..." and demanded some real money for their work, while every other TV actor on far lesser shows was making way more than they were working on a mega-hit. Fox threatened to fire them all and bring in other actors- then ended up quadrupling their pay, which is telling in how much they were willingly ripping them off beforehand.

$75k per is still peanuts. Even as a 'lesser' profitable animated show, it will generate as much or more money as most live action shows- the actors deserve their cut. They've probably just calculated that they can pretend to hardball the actors (knowing full well they'll pay them whatever), while making sure all this generates more interest in the show- the same tactic they originally pulled with the Simpsons.
There's a big problem with this whole argument - how in the hell is $75k per episode peanuts? Is it because voice actors on other shows get paid more? Should those voice actors be getting paid as much as they do?

The entertainment industry is an extremely lucrative one. Personally, I think it's taken "lucrative" to an insane extreme. In 2003, Ray Romano was making $1.9 million an episode. Does anyone see this as completely batty? I don't think I'll ever see $1.9 million in one lump sum at any point in my life, outside of, possibly, my retirement.

There were 18 episodes in the last aired season of Futurama. At $75k an ep, that's $1.35 million. I don't understand why this suddenly isn't enough. I'm not saying that the show isn't popular or that it's not going to get a ton of viewership when it comes back on the air - the bigger problem is the simple fact that people in entertainment are paid far, far, far more for their work than they really should be. There's just something wrong with our society when a million dollars a year salary "isn't enough".

As far as The Simpsons is concerned, apparently its voice actors got a salary bump to $400,000 an episode. That's nearly $9,000,000 per season at 22 episodes, kids. Ballmer doesn't even make that much in a year, nor do any of Apple's executives. Because, you know, speaking into a microphone using funny voices is a hell of a lot harder than running a freaking company.

At any rate, I would have thought that the voice actors from Futurama would care more about the show and its cult following than demanding another mil out of Fox. Shame.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jul 18, 2009 at 09:17 AM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 09:21 AM

The entertainment industry is an extremely lucrative one. Personally, I think it's taken "lucrative" to an insane extreme. In 2003, Ray Romano was making $1.9 million an episode. Does anyone see this as completely batty? I don't think I'll ever see $1.9 million in one lump sum at any point in my life, outside of, possibly, my retirement.
$1.9 million isn't "peanuts" but it was probably a fair salary given what "Everybody Loves Raymond" was worth as a whole to CBS. Is there another Ray Romano out back that the producers could have hired instead once the show got too popular to pay Romano what he's worth to them? The actors are just trying to get the best deal they can. It's not such a bad thing.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
$1.9 million isn't "peanuts" but it was probably a fair salary given what "Everybody Loves Raymond" was worth as a whole to CBS. Is there another Ray Romano out back that the producers could have hired instead once the show got too popular to pay Romano what he's worth to them? The actors are just trying to get the best deal they can. It's not such a bad thing.

Yeah, because it would have just been cruel to pay Romano a piddly $500k an episode, right? I mean, how can he possibly be asked to live on a measly $10mil a year?! That's just sadistic!

When you're to that point, all you care about is making as much money as possible so that you too can have a fifty thousand square foot house in Beverly Hills. I'd have a lot more respect for the Futurama cast if they indicated they were more interested in making a great show for their huge fan base than insisting that a million dollars a year just ain't cutting it.

Everyone here thinks Jobs is the greatest guy ever for taking only a dollar a year salary from Apple - why is that? Don't you think that it's an indicator (a PR move, but still) that he cares more about providing a great product to his cultic customer base than making another ten million a year? Wouldn't it be far nicer if the voice actors on Futurama took the salary Fox offered, in a movement to show that they care more about the fans and the integrity of the show than trying to match up to Yeardley Smith's annual salary?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2009, 09:38 AM

So if a show brings in $1 billion in revenue for a network, do you think that actors salaries should be limited? Where would you want the rest of the money to go? Just to the execs?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 09:38 AM

Yeah, because it would have just been cruel to pay Romano a piddly $500k an episode, right? I mean, how can he possibly be asked to live on a measly $10mil a year?! That's just sadistic!

When you're to that point, all you care about is making as much money as possible so that you too can have a fifty thousand square foot house in Beverly Hills. I'd have a lot more respect for the Futurama cast if they indicated they were more interested in making a great show for their huge fan base than insisting that a million dollars a year just ain't cutting it.
We have no idea what Fox offered them, so we don't know yet what they thought wasn't "cutting it." But more to your point: where do you draw the line? If they wanted $75K per episode and Fox was only prepared to give them $25K should they suck it up and take it just to make the fans happy? What about $1K? After all, it's a public service, right?

Everyone here thinks Jobs is the greatest guy ever for taking only a dollar a year salary from Apple - why is that? Don't you think that it's an indicator (a PR move, but still) that he cares more about providing a great product to his cultic customer base than making another ten million a year?
I think that's part of it. But I also think Jobs realizes that his personal fortune is inextricably linked to the fortune of Apple either way, so forgoing a cash salary in lieu of his stock position in the company is less meaningful in the end.

Wouldn't it be far nicer if the voice actors on Futurama took the salary Fox offered, in a movement to show that they care more about the fans and the integrity of the show than trying to match up to Yeardley Smith's annual salary?
Maybe they have better things to do with their time.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2009, 09:41 AM

Everyone here thinks Jobs is the greatest guy ever for taking only a dollar a year salary from Apple - why is that? Don't you think that it's an indicator (a PR move, but still) that he cares more about providing a great product to his cultic customer base than making another ten million a year?
Yeah that's not how it works. In 2007 he had a $1 salary but he also exercised $14.6 million in stock options. He doesn't actually work for $1.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 11:29 AM

You seem to be confusing a business with a charity. How much I'm willing to pay you has no relation to how much you need. If your work isn't that valuable to me, it may be less than you need to live. If your work is extremely valuable and makes me huge piles of cash, it might be $10 million a year.

Similarly, I'm sure there are people at other jobs in other countries who make a lot less than you, but you would probably not be willing to take a pay cut to their level ā€” nor should you be asked to.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 01:23 PM

Call me crazy, but I think they should be paid what the market will bear.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 02:16 PM

There's a big problem with this whole argument - how in the hell is $75k per episode peanuts?
The thing is, it's not really an 'argument'. It's simple business. Your exact reaction happens with everything from sports figures to movie stars, "Isn't blah de blah enough?!! Aren't they greedy to ask for more?!!" No. They'd be stupid to settle for less than what they're actually worth.

What I don't understand is this "poor poor pitiful Fox" attitude. Can they afford to pay the actors massive sums of money from the proceeds of massive hit shows? Woe is them, having to pony up!

Just look at the Simpsons- during the HEIGHT of its profitablity and popularity, the actors were being paid the LEAST. Only now, when the show is probably at it's lowest point, are they being paid nearly half a mil per episode. Why is that? Because poor, poor pitiful "can they afford it?" Fox couldn't have paid them 400k per all along? No. They were more than happy to pay them a pittance so long as the actors didn't wise up and fight for more. The first time they did so, like I said, Fox quadrupled their salaries. Before that, poor poor pitiful Fox was more than happy to pocket 4x more than they were paying out.

Like someone else asked, who do you think deserves the money more? More fatcat execs sitting on their rear ends back in NY, or the actual creative team that makes the shows possible? And before people start in with all the nonsense about "Well why doesn't a Production Assistant make a million every episode- the reality is, your value on a production is based upon how replaceable you are. As Fox would very quickly learn if it ever did up and fire all of its voice actors, they really aren't as replaceable as they'd like to pretend, therefore they can demand- and get- what they're worth because of that.

Is it because voice actors on other shows get paid more?
It's because any actor on any show should be getting paid in accordance with what the show generates. These animated shows generate tons of money- the actors deserve their cut of that.

The entertainment industry is an extremely lucrative one. Personally, I think it's taken "lucrative" to an insane extreme. In 2003, Ray Romano was making $1.9 million an episode. Does anyone see this as completely batty?
What's insane about it? It should tell you something that poor, poor, pitiful CBS had no problem giving him 1.9 million per episode. Now why do you think that is? Perhaps because the show was generating that and more every second it was on the air? Nahh! Couldn't be.

I don't think I'll ever see $1.9 million in one lump sum at any point in my life, outside of, possibly, my retirement.
So what? You also likely won't produce anything that generates $4 BILLION (ELR was one of the highest earning shows of all time) a year for anyone else, either. If you did, you'd damned well want your fair cut of it. It's really easy to pretend otherwise when you're not seeing everyone else around you get stupid rich off your efforts and then sit back and say, "I'd work for $1 a year just to please the fans!' One word: Buuuuulllllllsheeeeeeite.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2009, 06:49 PM

If the original voices aren't present, I won't watch. That simple.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | ļ£æ
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
If the original voices aren't present, I won't watch. That simple.
Bam.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 03:55 PM

Ray Romano was making $1.9 million an episode.
I just don't get it. The guy is not funny. At all. Period.
"ā€¦I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 19, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Call me crazy, but I think they should be paid what the market will bear.
Communist.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 19, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
THANK YOU. allcaps

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2009, 04:50 PM

I never understood the allure of that show. The mother was a shrew, the wife was manipulative...maybe it's just me, but I don't find that kind of dysfunction particularly entertaining.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 05:00 PM

There's a big problem with this whole argument - how in the hell is $75k per episode peanuts?
Easy: if each episode goes into worldwide syndication for endless re-runs over the next ten or twenty or thirty years, it will make whomever owns the rights tens if not hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars.

See? That's how in the hell $75k per episode is peanuts.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Communist.
Er no, he just defined capitalism.

(Not everyone will realize that your joke was aimed at shif.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Er no, he just defined capitalism.

(Not everyone will realize that your joke was aimed at shif.)
It was?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 05:47 PM

(Not everyone will realize that your joke was lame)
Fixinated.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 05:50 PM

It was?
Sorry - I gave you too much credit.

I won't be making that mistake again.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2009, 06:45 PM

Hahaha, shifuimam's a communist now?!?!

wtf
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Hahaha, shifuimam's a communist now?!?!

wtf
My thoughts exactly. She's socially conservative, fiscally liberal. The complete opposite of me. No wonder we don't get along.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 08:18 PM

Edit: too stupid, even for me.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 19, 2009 at 09:14 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2009, 11:57 PM

Sorry - I gave you too much credit.

I won't be making that mistake again.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2009, 12:04 AM

Oh, a new one.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I feel like only the stupidest of people would actually use a joke over and over again until it gets to the point that everyone else is sick of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2009, 12:33 AM

The natural tendency is to look at that 75K per episode figure and think, "hey, they're being greedy. It's just voice acting, right?" But that's also quite wrongheaded. Shif thinks she gets to decide what a reasonable salary is for people to be making. Laughable. I agree that entertainment salaries look excessive, but in this country you get paid what the free market will bear, at least until government comes in and dictates otherwise (which will begin to happen more and more). If Fox wants a half-way decent chance of succeeding with the reestablishment of the show, it has to pay what the talent wants.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 01:19 AM

4 Billion worth of ad revenue per year said "who gives a damn if you found it funny or not".

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I feel like only the stupidest of people would actually use a joke over and over again until it gets to the point that everyone else is sick of it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 10:09 AM

So has anyone directly asked shif whom exactly that extra cash should be going to instead?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
So if a show brings in $1 billion in revenue for a network, do you think that actors salaries should be limited? Where would you want the rest of the money to go? Just to the execs?
I tried, no response.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 10:17 AM

Ray Romano is perhaps the least funny person ever. Whiny nasal voice and bad acting..
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

crazy like a dumb fox.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 11:48 AM

i'll take Romano over Seinfeld any day.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 11:53 AM

Blasphemy.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 11:54 AM

nope; just the truth. seinfeld's show and stand up were terrible. not funny. ever.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 11:55 AM

Blasphemy.
Who cares what he thinks. He doesn't even have 5000 posts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Who cares what he thinks. He doesn't even have 5000 posts.
Neither do you, lamer.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 12:06 PM

Neither do you, lamer.
I know you're a whore for technicalities, but no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules