Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Core Duo Question

Core Duo Question
CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 09:49 AM

I haven't used any dual core processors so I'm not sure how they work. Does OS see one or two processors? I'm asking this because I want to upgrade to be able to play HD media.

If OS sees one processor, then is HD media playback "better" on core duo than core solo?

If OS sees two processors, then don't programs need to have multithread support to take advantage of it? From my past experience with windows and linux, multimedia players don't have multithread support. If that's the case with OSX, then maybe core solo is good enough.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 12:23 PM

All of the revies of the Core Solo Mac mini I've read say that it can't handle playing back the 1080p QuickTime movie previews on Apples site, whereas the Core Duo Mac mini has zero problems doing so.

OS X sees Core Duo as two processors, and you'll get a total of "200%" of CPU.

I don't know about the multithreaded question, although I've never found a program that maxes out just 1 of the CPUs. Everything I've used spreads the load over both of them.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 01:12 PM

Most Apple Apps (bar to some extent the iLife apps) are dual core aware, as is the OS itself. So yes, 1080p will play much more successfully on a CD than a CS
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

pat++
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 03:15 PM

Core Solo won't be able to play 1080p although any Core Duo will do the job. The OS sees 2 CPUs, and yes you are right, apps need to be multi-threaded to use both CPUs/cores. Fortunately this is the case of the OS and a lot of apps as Dual CPUs computers have been available for years on Mac. (This includes QuickTime which can use both cores to play HD content).

CrusaderSean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 09:35 PM

i see. thanks for all the replies. looks like i have to get core duo then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules