Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Going suicidal over IE7

Going suicidal over IE7
Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 04:04 AM

Alright, I know it has to be something stupid on my end, but for the life of me, I cannot get IE7 to work on this page

http://www.nd.edu/~sub/fa04/home.html

In Windows IE, it screws up the table of contents, and I cannot see why IE7 doesn't stop it.

I have IE7 working here just perfectly fine.

If anyone can look at the home.html code (the IE7 folder is in the "fa04" directory as well) and tell me what on earth is keeping it from rendering as it should in IE Windows, I will buy them lunch. I'm at wits end, and it's not helping that VirtualPC crawls so slow, it takes me 10 minutes just to find out that it still looks bad. Please, I'm dying here.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 05:43 AM

It's just a box-model issue causing the image to wrap over. IE handles things wrong by keeping the width you specify, no matter what padding etc you give it. Standards based browsers do it properly and add the padding, border thicknesses etc you specify to the over-all width of the 'box'. In order to stop that image from wrapping, make the containing div wider for IE, and possibly do something with the padding.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2004, 06:42 AM

"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:50 PM

I know it was something to do with the box model, and the padding and whatnot, but I was under the impression that the IE7 Hack would solve the problems? I guess if I still can't figure it out, I'll play with the box model hack and stuff. Any other ideas on IE7?

And as for lunch, Phil, I'll buy you lunch any day, just for saying my coworker was on crack. This will get you desert.

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:07 PM

There is an IE7? I thought the latest version on Mac (and the last) is IE5.2.2, and on the PC it is 6.x?

Here is the IE page on M$'s website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

...just curious.

Cheers!

James

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by James L:
There is an IE7? I thought the latest version on Mac (and the last) is IE5.2.2, and on the PC it is 6.x?
no, it's a hack, as mentioned in the sticky thread up there ^^^
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:01 AM

Update:

I switched to Dreamweaver tonight just to see, and redid the pages from scratch, WITH IE7, and it looks like it worked out alright. Maybe it was something with the way that Dreamweaver puts the div styles into the div tag itself and GoLive put them up top separate, but I won't pretend to understand that much about CSS. Anyway, Dreamweaver runs pretty smooth right now, maybe more so than GoLive, so I think that I'm going to stick it out with Macromedia at least for this site, and take it from there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules