Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Application "Finder" has unexpectedly quit

Application "Finder" has unexpectedly quit
rcharlie
Oct 21, 2000, 02:25 AM

After initial startup sound, plugin modem to avoid "Application Fider has unexpectedly quit" message. A good sign during startup is the destktop pauses on building for about 15 secs. If desktop builds immediatly, "Application Finder has unexpectedly quit" message again. Meaning the browser automaticly quits or freezes, when trying to surf. Sometimes opens up a form, asking "what was I doing before Netscape quit" also giving the option to send or don't send. Lately this process hasn't been working, which forced me to find another process. After following my original startup process (which fails) I have to restart and wait till the happy faced computer shows then plugin in the modem. If not "Application Finder has unexectedly quit" message. No other applications are affected. I heard that Rodgers software (cable internet) and CarbonLib is not fully compatible w/OS 8.6. Is this true?
I have performed a clean install and played around with the extensions. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2000, 11:52 AM

I had a bear of a time with OS 8.6 on a WallStreet PowerBook. Same thing: "Finder Has Quit." Lots of people advocate lots of fixes, but all were only temporary. I must have tried them all, but the problem kept coming back. I had to revert back to OS 8.5.1 until OS 9 came out. No problem with either of those - both solid as a rock! Seems like my system just gagged on OS 8.6. It had to be some unlikely combination of software/extensions, but I never found the cause. I wish I had a true fix for you. Every time I tried something new and it seemed to work I screamed, "Eureka!" and posted my great results. Sure enough, a day or two later I was sadly retracting my good news. It sucks telling someone to buy the next product because the last one didn't work right, but there it is.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."

[This message has been edited by rambo47 (edited 10-21-2000).]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2000, 04:59 PM

if it was IE, first thing to do is remove/replace internet preference file which will be corrupt. Next the browser cache. Also the Finder prefs. Look through the system preferences and delete anything that was at or after that point in time.

Put cache and downloads on RAM disk if possible.

Check the Finder and System files with ResEdit for minor damage - frequent problem. CC8 doesn't do as good as ResEdit but checks the system folder and only finds major file resource corruption.

I had a problem with my then new B&W (Aug '99) that was finally traced to "marginal" RAM - the original 64MB Apple RAM. While upgrading and installing memory (and so I could have a large ram disk), I pulled all 3-2-2 RAM just to see if 2-2-2 would make a difference - and voila! the once a day crash was gone (knock on wood!!)

Run Disk Warrior - maybe a Directory. Or backup, reformat and clean install. There are times when there is a problem with maybe an extension (I've replaced individual files from a locked copy of clean system insall) and even the entire extensions folder to fix a problem. But a reformat can fix problems no utility can or will even see. And I strongly recommend reformat before any major or minor system upgrades. Disk drives keep getting faster and bigger and a whole lot easier than feeding 40-200 floppies!

Gregory

fritzair
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2000, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Gregory:

Check the Finder and System files with ResEdit for minor damage - frequent problem. CC8 doesn't do as good as ResEdit but checks the system folder and only finds major file resource corruption.

I had a problem with my then new B&W (Aug '99) that was finally traced to "marginal" RAM - the original 64MB Apple RAM. While upgrading and installing memory (and so I could have a large ram disk), I pulled all 3-2-2 RAM just to see if 2-2-2 would make a difference - and voila! the once a day crash was gone (knock on wood!!)
Gregory[/B]
Having similiar problems on my B/W G3 I am curious. How you can check the system folder with ResEdit?
And how do you check which ram configuration you have? Is the memory problem G3 wide? Will Apple offer to change out this problematic mem module?
Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules