Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > what size flash drive to buy in your first ipad?

what size flash drive to buy in your first ipad?
klandan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2010, 07:56 AM

I will buy an ipad.
but I am not sure how big to buy for the flash drive in it.
and I would love to hear what others think, while I am waiting to hear when and how much the ipad will cost in the uk.
your input welcome.
klandan

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2010, 11:05 AM

Like with most of my technology purchases, I will buy the one with the most memory. Better to have more than you need/want than to realize after the fact you need more than you got. 64 GB for me.

I will, however, not be getting the 3G model. For my intended use (home use and travel), I will not need 3G. If I need 3G, I have my iPhone for that.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 11:34 AM

I'm getting 3G for sure. Most of the time I won't use it, but on car trips, having 3G+GPS will be worth it. As to memory, I am torn. I can easily fit all of my music and pictures into 4GB, but if I want to carry a lot of movies, then the 16GB model won't cut it. I suspect I will get the 32GB model, which should hold in the neighborhood of 20 movies that are sized down for the iPad (720p) in Handbrake.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2010, 12:07 PM

Probably the 32G 3G model for me.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 12:10 PM

16GB WiFi model for me. Don't have a great need for a lot of storage space and 3G probably won't be available for a while in the DR. (Although we do have 2 carriers that offer the iPhone but the service plan is way overpriced).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2010, 12:11 PM

I'll be buying a 32GB iPhone after the next release to replace my 16GB 3G.

So I'd probably end up buying a 32GB or 64GB iPad. Definitely not a 16GB version. It's just too small for my music, my movies, my books, and my apps. I'd get a wifi version. The iPad will never replace my phone so I already have 3G there. And thanks to my carrier I've also got tethering. I definitely wouldn't pay for 3G again on the iPad under those circumstances.

But alas, so far I don't really see why I'd need or want an iPad next to my iPhone and my MBP so I most likely won't be getting one

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 12:20 PM

Simon: will tethering work on an iPad? I doubt it will, unless Apple/carriers miraculously decide to allow iPhone-as-hotspot functionality like Palm’s Pre Plus and Pixi Plus have. This is why I’m on the fence about the 3G: if I want to get a little work or bigger-than-3.5-inch-screen browsing done while I don’t have Wi-Fi, I’m more likely to have an iPad with me than a laptop.

Anyway, I’m on the fence between 64GB Wi-Fi only and 32GB 3G.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2010, 01:01 PM

Well I was assuming tethering was a given. If the iPad can't tether off BT that would be just totally lame.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2010, 01:12 PM

Personally, I'm torn on the capacity I should get (assuming I will get one, which is still TBD, but hedged towards yes).
My iPhone is the 32GB model. I keep about 16-18Gb of music on it. No video. I imagine the iPad will be the opposite: more video, less music.

The new iPad apps may mean one should move up in size. 16Gb is fine for music and video, but maybe not for some new powerfull iPad-only apps.

I'm hedging to 32GB, not 64GB. I'd say that 16GB is too small.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2010, 01:42 PM

I have 6gb free on my 32gb iPhone which has all of my music (18gb), a gig or two of movies, and then apps. I will be getting the 64gb iPad with 3G.

I will end up putting more movies onto the iPad along with all of my music and select photo albums.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well I was assuming tethering was a given. If the iPad can't tether off BT that would be just totally lame.
I think it will allow tethering.

The problem is going to be iPhones on AT&T.
Mohammed knows when we're going to get official tethering on AT&T, and for how much.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2010, 03:58 PM

I don't see myself putting much media on the iPad, so the 16 GB should be fine. God knows I haven't used 2 GB on my iPod Touch yet.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I think it will allow tethering.

The problem is going to be iPhones on AT&T.
Mohammed knows when we're going to get official tethering on AT&T, and for how much.
I have a Nokia E71, and I've been doing tethering on AT&T forever. For a short period people were able to download a tethering app for the iphone. It's not a network issue, it's an Apple/AT&T collusion issue.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
I have a Nokia E71, and I've been doing tethering on AT&T forever. For a short period people were able to download a tethering app for the iphone. It's not a network issue, it's an Apple/AT&T collusion issue.
I *know* it's technically possible.

Problem is, you are in violation of the TOS. AT&T could charge you by the minute or bandwidth for the use of tethering. You could get slapped with hundreds of $ after the fact.

I'm not taking that risk, not with AT&T.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't see myself putting much media on the iPad, so the 16 GB should be fine. God knows I haven't used 2 GB on my iPod Touch yet.
That's my thinking. I keep about 6GB of music on my 8GB iPhone and when I'm traveling I'll put a couple of movies on it. But the minute I get home, I remove the movies. I can't ever see a need to keep movies on my iPhone or iPad.... once I watch it I typically don't want to see it again.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2010, 09:40 PM

I think definitely 3G for when you're away from Wifi, which could be often. I also will go for one of the larger sizes, as the video for a larger screen, as compared to the iPhone, will require larger files to look good. The only question is how big...
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
I also will go for one of the larger sizes, as the video for a larger screen, as compared to the iPhone, will require larger files to look good. The only question is how big...
Yes, especially given how close you will be to the screen. What looks good on a larger screen at a greater distance may look very poor on an iPad held closely in front of you.

klandan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2010, 08:15 AM

thanks for all your replies.
as I cant use an iphone (disability) I will get a 64mb non 3G
model.
klandan

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 12:28 PM

For reference:

21 Blu-ray Rips (about 1-1.2 GB each) = 28.8 GB

3,000 songs = 14 GB

So I could carry 21 Blu-ray rips and 3,000 songs and still have about 20 GB left on the 64 GB version. Sweeeeet.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apparently the iPad is just that lame. El Jobs himself confirmed no tethering an iPad off BT.

Steve Jobs emails Swede that the iPad won't tether to the iPhone | 9 to 5 Mac

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 05:44 PM

I'm torn.

I'd get a maxed-out model in a second, but I know I should wait for rev. b.

OTOH, the 16GB is almost cheap enough I'd be willing to suffer through the "public beta".

kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm torn.

I'd get a maxed-out model in a second, but I know I should wait for rev. b.

OTOH, the 16GB is almost cheap enough I'd be willing to suffer through the "public beta".
That's my plan. Getting the cheap one. I think rev B won't be too far behind. Selling rev A for about half.

Forum Links
Forum Rules