Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes is great ... except for The Eyeball

iTunes is great ... except for The Eyeball
Ravensign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 04:06 AM

I've only had iTunes for a week, yet it stares at me constantly from the upper right.

It is hypnotic, and Evil.

Please, Apple ditch The Eyeball.

(Oh, and can we have a graphic equalizer?)

-rs

ged
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2001, 04:22 AM

dude,
compared to soundjam, itunes majorly sucks ass. apple's gotten rid of all the nice playlist features. and the equaliser. and they've complicatised the keyboard shortcuts (command+arrow for volume control, instead of just the arrows). and the default window is now so large that it's ridiculously painful to keep it like that all the time. but then if one minimises it, one can no longer see song names and such.

the other pretty painful thing is that one can't import playlists from soundjam (or maybe i just haven't figured out how to). this is, if true, totally insane, as one now has to rebuild one's whole damn library again.

i think i'll hang to the version of soundjam for os x to use on march 24th...

the only good thing about itunes is that it's free.

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2001, 12:06 PM

dude, have you ever purchased a first generation piece of software that had all the features that a later revision has had? jeez, it's like expecting some archaic apple os to have all the features of 9.1 from the get-go. apple only recently purchased soundjam. chill out and wait for future updates.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2001, 12:49 PM

Resize the app in the bottom right corner in full or minimized view to have smaller realestate when full, and see song titles when minimized.

You can also resize the left/right window panes by clicking on the separation bar.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

King_Sixty_Four
Jan 19, 2001, 02:13 PM

A valid comparison would be between this first version of iTunes and the 1.0 version of SoundJam. In that respect, they're very similar. Apple has some catching up to do. But hey, what do you want for free?

KSF

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 19, 2001, 08:21 PM

No, a valid comparison is the free version of SoundJam. That allows you to encode a limited number of songs. Everything else is there, but it has limitations on skins and things.

iTunes is a good piece of software. Not the best, but it's very good. It is undoubtedly the best *free* MP3 program out for the Mac.

I strongly suspect that they're working on iTunes again, and the version that ships for OS X (I'm sure they'll kill Music Player and replace it with iTunes pre-installed) will probably boast more power. Hopefully an EQ (what the heck were they thinking?), skinnability, and the rest.

iTunes, btw, has *great* playlist support. You can't create folders inside playlists, true, but the drag and drop playlists are neat. The best thing is Browse (the "evil eye"), which lets you make dynamic playlists -- say you're browsing and you come to to the Artist "Beethoven" -- click that, it'll show you all the songs by Beethoven, and that's a temporary playlist right there.

Library is better than SoundJam's system. The ease of use, the CD burning capabilities (cough, 90 days = OS X), and the playlist support outweigh most everything *for now*. iTunes 3rd party burner drivers are shipping in 60-90 days, and OS X is shipping in.... *my god!!* unbelievable!! 60-90 days! Admittedly not that vague, it's march 24, but it does fall in that slot.

On a side note -- can you write Carbon hardware drivers? I know X has a new printing architecture, but can you write one driver that's kind of FAT -- supports both 9 and X? That would be cool.

The EQ better be coming soon. But I think that iTunes for OS X will be better -- they won't want to ship the same program two months from now. They'll add a few things. (One of the perks of upgrading -- don't think it won't be Cocoa).

If you don't want to pay, iTunes is your best bet. If you have the money, it's not, but it's a nice thing to keep on your drive...

(rumor has it they slapped it together in two weeks)

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything

[This message has been edited by gorgonzola (edited 01-19-2001).]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jan 20, 2001, 01:16 PM

If you want to import playlists from SJ, here's whay you do.

Make a new folder in iTunes, label it whatever your SJ playist is named, open SJ, select all the songs in the list, (command-A) and just drag them onto the new folder.

Voila.

Rinse and repeat.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

Forum Links
Forum Rules