Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What's the deal with Pope Francis?

What's the deal with Pope Francis? (Page 5)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 01:14 PM

So, I still didn't catch the point of the church rolls.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 01:27 PM

Isn't it like a Eucharist croissant?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 01:35 PM

"Take this and eat; This is my body, and this my muffin tops."

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 01:39 PM

Have those buns been hot-crossed?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 04:01 PM

You know, things like that (what most devout Catholics would call blasphemy) are the reason he doesn't stick around very long in these discussions. Either you don't care that it's incredibly rude, or you didn't realize just how rude it is. Anyway, just an FYI.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 04:10 PM

If Chongo was offended, I'll apologize in a second.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2013, 05:01 PM

Well I was wrong. Dakar has gone "Bill Maher"
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 05:31 PM

I hope he didn't go full Bill Maher.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2013, 10:19 PM

BTW I'd say it's more disrespectful than blasphemous. The burger Kuma's Corner is as close as it gets.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2013, 10:40 PM

Good. I didn't think it quite hit the blasphemy bar.

Crass. No question. Disrespectful?

If you felt disrespected, then it was definitely disrespectful. That was the furthest thing from my intent.

Disrespectful towards the church? Yes, but I want to make it clear what I lack respect for is an institution declaring something so serious it can't be joked about.

When it comes to personal beliefs, I bend over backwards to be respectful, which leads back to if that personally rankled you, I feel like a shithead.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You know, things like that (what most devout Catholics would call blasphemy) are the reason he doesn't stick around very long in these discussions. Either you don't care that it's incredibly rude, or you didn't realize just how rude it is. Anyway, just an FYI.
Well, I didn't set out to be blasphemous. Irreverent, sure, but I guess that's my sense of humor. I don't expect everyone to find it funny, but if it upsets you then I think you're misunderstanding the tone or taking things too seriously.

Did anyone see the Onion's 9/11 ad for Subway? It's ****ing horrific but, damn it, its still funny.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Well I was wrong. Dakar has gone "Bill Maher"
When I think of Maher, I think of Religulous. I see this more as Monty Python level. Or are they the same to you?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2013, 03:39 PM

I wasn't offended, but I can see how a devout Catholic would be. My levels of empathy extend beyond the capabilities of most mortal men (and some women).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 03:53 PM

I wasn't offended, but I can see how a devout Catholic would be. My levels of empathy extend beyond the capabilities of most mortal men (and some women).
That was a general you, not a specific one. Your self-importance also extends beyond the capabilities of most mortal men and women.

andi*pandi
Oct 11, 2013, 07:06 PM

I know other catholics who would laugh at such jokes... and tell them. Really just bad puns more than blasphemy.

You gotta roll with some of the minor jokes, otherwise you're as bad as the people freaking out when a pineapple is given a "Mohammed" nametag.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That was a general you, not a specific one. Your self-importance also extends beyond the capabilities of most mortal men and women.
That's being a little too obvious, there. (What I said was completely tongue-in-cheek, of course, because I'm told on a regular basis how much empathy I lack.)

While some Catholics would roll with the "body of Christ compared to baked goods" joke, Chongo takes his beliefs more seriously than most (even more than a lot of clergy). That's just something I've been able to pick up on over the years.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2013, 03:11 PM

That wasn't the joke.

The setup is you expect a particular baked good to be used as the Eucharist. The joke is substituting the expected. Substitution is the fundamental building block of comedy.

I fully admit that if I've gotten to this point I have a joke fail on my hands, but the fail isn't I'm a shithead.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 12, 2013 at 04:26 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2013, 12:38 PM

Jokes are one thing, making a hamburger with Communion Host is another. (Even though they are not consecrated.)
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2013, 06:50 PM

I agree.

What's worse, is I could see that type of wafer, which you can get with a waffle pattern (so as to be clearly not for communion purposes) would make for good bread in a mini-hamburgesa. They have a nice rigid texture which I imagine would contrast well with the soft meat. They'd need to be extra mini one-bite though. These crackers are pretty rigid, and tend to shatter if they're not scored.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2013, 06:53 PM

Also, if I were Kuma, I'd lie and say they were stolen consecrated wafers and tack on an extra $10. Limited supply ya know.

Either way, the proper response here is not to (ahem) feed the troll. This is a publicity stunt, and they're taking advantage of the fact it offends you.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 10:08 AM

That's being a little too obvious, there. (What I said was completely tongue-in-cheek, of course, because I'm told on a regular basis how much empathy I lack.)
That went over my head, though I'm glad you didn't take my return comment as being a vicious attack.

While some Catholics would roll with the "body of Christ compared to baked goods" joke, Chongo takes his beliefs more seriously than most (even more than a lot of clergy). That's just something I've been able to pick up on over the years.
I think we could all pick up on it. If I didn't say it explicitly, my joke was thoughtless, not careless.

Jokes are one thing, making a hamburger with Communion Host is another. (Even though they are not consecrated.)
Speaking of which, as a kid I always thought unconsecrated communion wafers would be great if they came in bags like potato chips. I'd totally snack on those.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2013, 11:18 AM

That went over my head, though I'm glad you didn't take my return comment as being a vicious attack.
Quite a few people around here attempt to push my buttons, if I didn't know better I'd suspect they're trying to make me lose my temper.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2013, 12:12 PM

Speaking of which, as a kid I always thought unconsecrated communion wafers would be great if they came in bags like potato chips. I'd totally snack on those.
I'll find out what those crackers are. They have them at a cheese shop down the street.

They're a little bland, but have the slightly puffed, melty thing going on. Though I'll admit it's been awhile since I've had a real communion wafer, so my comparison may be off.

They make a good cracker for cheese and such because they mostly impart texture and leave the taste of the cheese unmolested.

Now I want aged Gouda.

andi*pandi
Oct 14, 2013, 08:41 PM

The wafers my church used weren't much for taste. I recall my parents tried a more new agey catholic church, and they actually gave out real little pieces of wheat bread.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2013, 09:02 PM

That's how I remember them from the "peace be with you" thing, which I've only done, say, a half-dozen times. Never received official communion.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The wafers my church used weren't much for taste. I recall my parents tried a more new agey catholic church, and they actually gave out real little pieces of wheat bread.
That would be a "no no" The use of leavened bread is illicit in the Latin Church. Some Eastern Rite Catholic Church uses leavened bread soaked in consecrated wine. (intinction)
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's how I remember them from the "peace be with you" thing, which I've only done, say, a half-dozen times. Never received official communion.
"Peace be with you" (Pax vobiscum)is said by a Bishop in the Introductory Rite when he is celebrating Mass. "The Lord be with you" (Dominus vobiscum) is said when a Priest is celebrating Mass. "And with you spirit" (Et cum spiritu tuo) is the response for both. "The Lord be with you" is said by a Bishop during the rest of the Mass.

On "officially receiving communion"
Who Can Receive Communion? | Catholic Answers
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 15, 2013, 11:13 AM

huh, no time limit. Our family always said, if you hadn't been to church in a long time you shouldn't get communion. When it's really confession that matters...

thanks for the link!

I've never seen bread passed during the "peace be with you" section. We are invited to shake hands/hug our neighbors and wish them peace. "Let us offer each other the sign of peace." "Peace be with you." "And also with you." I've seen it in many churches, but this could be a Northeast thing?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 11:21 AM

huh, no time limit. Our family always said, if you hadn't been to church in a long time you shouldn't get communion. When it's really confession that matters...

thanks for the link!

I've never seen bread passed during the "peace be with you" section. We are invited to shake hands/hug our neighbors and wish them peace. "Let us offer each other the sign of peace." "Peace be with you." "And also with you." I've seen it in many churches, but this could be a Northeast thing?
That was Catholic school for me. Also in the northeast.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 12:05 PM

When we did "peace be with you" it was sort of like a dual wishbone thing. You offer your wafer, and the person who it was offered to snaps off a piece of it. At the same time they offer their wafer and you snap off a piece.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 12:51 PM

I've never been in confession, but if what's needed is for me to be free of sin, the priest would have to sling the communion wafer into my mouth right afterwards like I was a trained seal.

Leaving the booth and getting in line gives me far too much opportunity to sin. Opportunities I will take.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 02:08 PM

thanks for the link!

At the "Sign of Peace, The celebrant says "the Peace of the Lord be with you always" (Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum). The response is "And with your Spirit" The Celebrant has the discretion to omit "Let us offer each other the sign of peace" and go to the Agnus Dei. This is done during flu season.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 02:10 PM

At the "Sign of Peace, The celebrant says "the Peace of the Lord be with you always" (Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum). The response is "And with your Spirit" The Celebrant has the discretion to omit "Let us offer each other the sign of peace" and go to the Agnus Dei. This is done during flu season.
Obviously this differs by location.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 03:09 PM

Not by much
45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2013, 03:13 PM

To be fair, just about all major denominations require an official declaration of some sort, usually in writing, to be taken off their rolls if you've ever formalized a membership with them. Otherwise they just count you as absent. The Mormons require medical excuses if you miss too many services, I guess they come and take away your underwear if you don't. (j/k, of course)
Holy crap...

We don't require a membership, a statement of faith, or any paperwork of any kind. We just assume that if you're connecting with God, your life is being changed for the positive, and you're learning to serve, then our church is doing its job.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've never been in confession, but if what's needed is for me to be free of sin, the priest would have to sling the communion wafer into my mouth right afterwards like I was a trained seal.
I enjoyed that.

Also, your sig is awesome. #UselessSideNote
#YesIHashtaggedMyPost

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 03:18 PM

Not by much
Right, the difference is what andi stated. I assume either is fine, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Holy crap...

We don't require a membership, a statement of faith, or any paperwork of any kind. We just assume that if you're connecting with God, your life is being changed for the positive, and you're learning to serve, then our church is doing its job.
I kind of figure your show membership is attending services or events. Once you stop showing your face at those it seems logical your membership falls into doubt.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2013, 04:01 PM

I kind of figure your show membership is attending services or events. Once you stop showing your face at those it seems logical your membership falls into doubt.
I think the idea of "membership" is the strange thing. Is a church simply an organization or a service? Having "members" sounds more like a club.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think the idea of "membership" is the strange thing. Is a church simply an organization or a service? Having "members" sounds more like a club.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but it's a pet peeve of mine.
The Catholic church is most definitely an organization.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 04:08 PM

What good is throwing a Catholic to lions if you can't prove they're Catholic?

N.B. I do not approve of throwing Catholics to lions

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2013, 05:14 PM

You can buy them! In Quebec, they're marketed as "Hosties" and can be bought in stores. I'm not kidding.

andi*pandi
Oct 16, 2013, 09:20 AM

I know this church is Episcopalian, not Catholic, but I like how they are rolling with the punches here and have a sense of humor.

A Church Wages Holy War on Dog Poop, Using Design | Wired Design | Wired.com

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2013, 03:45 AM

I was at a Catholic wedding a couple months ago and during the rehearsal the priest said that's how you can tell who's been to mass recently - if it's been too long, they'll likely respond with "And also with you", but if they're up on their liturgy, they'll know to respond with "And with your spirit". There was quite a mix during the actual service.

andi*pandi
Oct 17, 2013, 01:33 PM

I like the old way better.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2013, 01:38 PM

Devious way to root out the casuals.

andi*pandi
Oct 17, 2013, 02:06 PM

I memorized it all once, and that was enough, dammit. Of all the changes the church could make, these are just tweaked enough to throw you off! And no booklet in the pews with the new texts.

Let's go back to having French mass. Yesssssss.....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2013, 03:03 PM

Would have totally failed that one.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 10:22 AM

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 02:33 PM

Let's put it to the board.

One of those articles tries to claim "there's nothing new here". This is the evidence given in terms of quotes by other luminaries:

In the Holy Spirit, every individual and all people have become, through the Cross and Resurrection of Christ, children of God, partakers in the divine nature and heirs to eternal life. All are redeemed and called to share in glory in Jesus Christ, without any distinction of language, race, nation or culture. The Good News which Christ proclaimed and which the Church continues to proclaim, in accordance with the Lord's will, must be preached "to all creation" and "to the ends of the earth".

God our Savior…desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, the testimony to which was borne at the proper time. … For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men.

But, if Christian precepts prevail, the respective classes will not only be united in the bonds of friendship, but also in those of brotherly love. For they will understand and feel that all men are children of the same common Father, who is God; that all have alike the same last end, which is God Himself, who alone can make either men or angels absolutely and perfectly happy; that each and all are redeemed and made sons of God, by Jesus Christ, "the first-born among many brethren"; that the blessings of nature and the gifts of grace belong to the whole human race in common, and that from none except the unworthy is withheld the inheritance of the kingdom of Heaven. "If sons, heirs also; heirs indeed of God, and co-heirs with Christ."

By his glorious Cross Christ has won salvation for all men. He redeemed them from the sin that held them in bondage. … Created in the image of the one God and equally endowed with rational souls, all men have the same nature and the same origin. Redeemed by the sacrifice of Christ, all are called to participate in the same divine beatitude: all therefore enjoy an equal dignity.

Since all men possess a rational soul and are created in God's likeness, since they have the same nature and origin, have been redeemed by Christ and enjoy the same divine calling and destiny, the basic equality of all must receive increasingly greater recognition.

“On the contrary, the Lord has created us in His image and likeness, and has given us this commandment in our heart: Do good and do not do evil. The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, what about the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us first class children of God! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, with everyone doing his own part; if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of meeting: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good! We shall meet there.”

1) JPII
2) Paul
3) Leo XIII
4) Catechism
5) Vatican II
6) F

laughingbunny
Oct 22, 2013, 02:46 PM

But no one does only good or bad, everyone does some good and some bad, some atheist deeply believe religion is a lie, to brain wash people, if it brain washes people in the right way, people end up being good.
If god exist, he would be so offended by these people, I wish god has a bigger heart and let these people go to heaven too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules