Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > install new SSD: how to transfer only iPhoto, iTunes, select files

install new SSD: how to transfer only iPhoto, iTunes, select files
evoLver
Sep 11, 2015, 02:32 PM

I am installing a new SSD in my 2011 MBP. After setting up Yosemite and downloading my music apps fresh, I want to transfer only iTunes, iPhoto and some select files and folders. I am having a tricky time finding info on the best way to do this. I was about to clone my laptop drive and use migration assistant to get the aforementioned files off of my clone. But OWC (macsales) tech help say that doing this from a clone can or will corrupt the data and that my best option is to get an external enclosure for my old laptop HD and then use migration assistant.

So are they just trying to sell me an enclosure? And does migration assistant allow me to pick and choose only these files that I need?
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

ibook_steve
Sep 11, 2015, 04:22 PM

An enclosure would certainly be the easiest way to go since you can finish everything in one step. You can also just restore from a Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant. That way you don't have to do any additional copying or even put the existing drive into an enclosure.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

evoLver  (op)
Sep 11, 2015, 07:00 PM

My main concern is keeping the integrity of my iTunes and iPhoto. Especially my playlists and ratings and metadata for my iTunes. Very important.

So I will be dragging over ONLY 3 items; my desktop folder, iTunes, iPhoto
What is the most FOOLPROOF safest?: is there a difference in a clone vs. the original in an enclosure?

Steve, you speak of "not doing any additional copying" and refer to the easiest way being getting an enclosure. Again my highest concern is surefire integrity of my libraries. What do you think?

evoLver  (op)
Sep 11, 2015, 09:24 PM

Wow you'd think there'd be millions of people doing this procedure and it would be an instant search and answer. I did try a lot of searching

or maybe its "just get a darn enclosure"

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 11, 2015, 11:44 PM

Yeah, it's basically, get a darn enclosure. It's the safest, surest way.

Pro tip- copying over the ENTIRE iTunes folder retains play counts, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by evoLver View Post
Wow you'd think there'd be millions of people doing this procedure and it would be an instant search and answer. I did try a lot of searching

or maybe its "just get a darn enclosure"
There are a million people looking for an elegant, easy, "no added cost" answer to this. Nobody's found that answer. Other than "get an enclosure," I can't think of what to do either. I wiped my iMac and my wife's MacBook after backing up everything, and I still don't see a way to easily access either photos or music ON the computer without giving both Photos and iTunes a chance to wreak havoc on my data.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 12, 2015, 11:55 AM

The Samsung SSD line used to come with a USB cable that gives the drive power and data, doesn't anymore.

evoLver  (op)
Sep 12, 2015, 02:28 PM

I have a 6 year old mini-usb enclosure I could use.

Do you think this old tech would work as a boot with migration assistant?

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2015, 05:40 AM

Certainly, that should do the trick: put your old drive in the enclosure, connect it to your Mac and make sure it appears in the Finder. If that works, then launch Migration Assistant located in /Applications/Utilities, and follow the steps. That transfers all user data (unless you tell it otherwise) and settings.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ibook_steve
Sep 16, 2015, 02:27 PM

With a current Time Machine backup, you wouldn't even need an enclosure or perform any manual copying is what I meant. You do have a backup of everything, right?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules