Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS X and PM9500/180MP

Mac OS X and PM9500/180MP
Exizl del Fuego
Jul 24, 2002, 05:18 PM

Hey folks, I have a PowerMac 9500/180MP (dual processor 604e's @ 180MHz each) that I purchased specifically to play with BeOS. Literally two months after I purchased it, Be announced their sellout to Palm. Since then, I've kindof relegated it as my classic Mac OS machine, which contains the PCI cards I had before making the jump to Mac OS X and are still unsupported under such. Currently, a friend is using this computer until he's able to get his Linux box shipped to him, so I'm unable to tinker with it. but I Was wondering if anyone has installed Mac OS X on this machine. And, more specifically, if Mac OS X takes advantage of both processors.

There was a thread here in the MacNN boards some while back in which people were debating on the authenticity of a quad-processor somethin-er-other running Mac OS X. Someone speculated that it might be an old quad-proc. Genesis machine running Mac OS X, taking advantage of all processors. I replied by stating that Mac OS X was more made for Symmetric MultiProcessing (SMP), and therefore wouldn't utilize the multiprocessor 604's due to their Asymmetric MultiProcessing (AMP) nature (thus Mac OS X would only be using the master processor). Someone rebuked that, stating that the difference between AMP and SMP was more a software thing, and not "hard-coded" (if you will) in the hardware.

So, I was just curious what other people thought about the subject, or even if there're some souls floating about who might even have such experience.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2002, 10:27 AM

Hi!

To install OS X on the 9500 you'd need XPostFacto, and the FAQ on the homepage (http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/framework.cfm?page=Compatibility.html) states that the second processor would not be used.

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Jul 25, 2002, 12:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Taipan:
<strong>the FAQ on the homepage states that the second processor would not be used.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, okay. Silly me, never reading the FAQ's and such...

Forum Links
Forum Rules