Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook keyboard "lock" (numlock led) broken (keyboard locked).

iBook keyboard "lock" (numlock led) broken (keyboard locked).
ShyGuy91284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 08:37 PM

I've got an iBook (the latest revision). I replaced the ram a little while ago. But now, the latch (and protective covering for the numlock LED) is broken. It does not unlock the keyboard, and just turns continuously w/o any action. So The keyboard is stuck in there. And just tonight, it fell out. It doesn't seem to be in the locking mechanism now. anyone have any idea if there is some kind of way I can fix this w/o carting my ass off to the nearest Apple store (about an hour or so away)? When in there, the "side" of it opposite to the latch tab underneath is is also slightly above the other side, and it will not fit flat into the space.....

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2005, 09:15 PM

i doubt you'll be able to repair the latch. look into buying a replacement keyboard and install it yourself.

-r.

ShyGuy91284  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 03:27 AM

It's fairly new, so I'd probably get a replacement since it's under warrantly. But that's the catch. The latch is broken and stuck locked, so I wouldn't be able to get the keyboard out w/o some dangerous force.... Kind of a Catch 22....

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2005, 08:05 AM

to unlock the keyboard, insert something thin between the top row of the keyboard and the case and turn it until the lock is open.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules