Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terri Schiavo: who cares

View Poll Results: Do you care about the Schiavo story?
Poll Options:
Yes 11 votes (28.21%)
No 28 votes (71.79%)
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll
Terri Schiavo: who cares
JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2005, 05:31 PM

Does anybody actually care about what is going on with Mrs Schiavo? It seems like all the news sites are making such a big deal about it, as though it were of epic importance. Frankly, I don't care what happens one way or the other. This is a good example of the media blowing a private matter way out of proportion.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 18, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:
Does anybody actually care about what is going on with Mrs Schiavo? It seems like all the news sites are making such a big deal about it, as though it were of epic importance. Frankly, I don't care what happens one way or the other. This is a good example of the media blowing a private matter way out of proportion.
After much deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that your thinkus maximus is no longer connected to the brainus twistedus.

Since the media did bring it to our attention, as a human being, I do care. If a tree falls, and all that, or rather, for those females in these forums, (all 3), if a man does the dishes, did he really do them, unless she was there to see him?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be posting about it.

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 05:37 PM

I care because a similar situation happened with my uncle. It doesn't seem right that someone can order you to die by starvation, regardless of your mental disabilities.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 05:52 PM

I agree with with you JohnSmithXTREME, though it's not so bothersome if you try to avoid it like I do, including the whole MJ phenomenon.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2005, 05:56 PM

It may, perhaps, be blown out of proportion, but what's interesting is the distorted view of the case most people have.

Schiavo does not actually meet the legal or medical definitions of braindeath, and nobody in the case -not even Mr. Schiavo- is disputing this. Her condition -a persistent vegatative state- does not meet any legal definition of death in any legal system at this point in time. Again, though, nobody is disputing that. What's actually being disputed in the case is Mr. Schiavo's legal guardianship. Ms. Schiavo's parents want this revoked, arguing that he is legally estranged from her (which, by Florida law, may technically be true). Meanwhile, Mr. Schiavo wants to keep his guardianship long enough to pull the plug.

That's what this really is: a medical-guardianship debate. The fact that Schiavo's life hangs in the balance is coincidental, but both sides have attempted to paint the case as a crusade for life/dignity/whatever.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
It may, perhaps, be blown out of proportion, but what's interesting is the distorted view of the case most people have.

Schiavo does not actually meet the legal or medical definitions of braindeath, and nobody in the case -not even Mr. Schiavo- is disputing this. Her condition -a persistent vegatative state- does not meet any legal definition of death in any legal system at this point in time. Again, though, nobody is disputing that. What's actually being disputed in the case is Mr. Schiavo's legal guardianship. Ms. Schiavo's parents want this revoked, arguing that he is legally estranged from her (which, by Florida law, may technically be true). Meanwhile, Mr. Schiavo wants to keep his guardianship long enough to pull the plug.

That's what this really is: a medical-guardianship debate. The fact that Schiavo's life hangs in the balance is coincidental, but both sides have attempted to paint the case as a crusade for life/dignity/whatever.
Beat me to it, and thanks for posting. The posts above plainly show that some in our society have no earthly idea what's going on around them, and it also shows they have an "it will never happen to me so I don't care" complex.

Lastly, this is one more piece of "evidence" that should gets people to write their own living will. It's amazing what a little piece of paper could do for everyone involved -- if said paper existed.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JohnSmithXTREME  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2005, 06:45 PM

So, RAILhead, perhaps I could be more wise if I get caught up in current events?

What really annoys me, perhaps even moreso than the coverage of Schiavo by the media, is how the US has predictably split into two groups. People who don't even know what is going on, like CodyDawg, automatically fall into line with the rest of their political party when forming their opinion on the issue. The US media is very good at portraying these types of stories as if they were monumental battles over the sanctity of life. The reality is much more boring: the outcome of this "struggle" will have no effect on anyone's lives but the party concerned.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 07:41 PM

Who would read/watch the news if it wasn't blown out of proportion?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 08:05 PM

if you were you in her condition, would u want to keep living hoping for a (cure?) or say no, let me die even if your family insist on keeping u alive?

i would want to die if i had the choice...you?

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 08:18 PM

You should care.

This is another example of the hypocrisy of the lunatic right-wingers in our government. They claim to be proponents of individual rights and responsibilities. In reality, they'll never pass up an opportunity to impose their morality on others and interfere in the most intimate aspects of people's lives. It's also another example of the federal government attempting to usurp the power of a soverign state. Today's Republican party has destroyed conservatism. They're essentially liberals who've found Jesus.

Let the poor woman die with whatever dignity she has left.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by mattyd:
...Today's Republican party has destroyed conservatism.
Winner.

They're essentially liberals who've found Jesus.
Play again.

Let the poor woman die with whatever dignity she has left.
Winner.
I, ASIMO.

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by mattyd:
Today's Republican party has destroyed conservatism.
I'll agree with you on that, not sure about the rest but it doesn't matter. The thing that I can't figure out is why her husband is so determined to get the tube pulled. And I don't believe it's because "she wanted it this way".

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 02:35 AM

John Smith et al: Who cares?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules