Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone else having trouble figuring out how to use the new Wacom OS 10.4 drivers?

Anyone else having trouble figuring out how to use the new Wacom OS 10.4 drivers?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 11:27 PM

So after I upgraded to OS 10.4, my Wacom graphics tablet settings quit working right. So I went to install the latest driver for my Intuos2 USB tablet...and I can't figure the damn thing out! The System Preference that it installed makes NO sense and I can't seem to find anywhere to change basic settings such as the pen buttons. Can someone help??
Apple user since 1987

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by STAT View Post
So after I upgraded to OS 10.4, my Wacom graphics tablet settings quit working right. So I went to install the latest driver for my Intuos2 USB tablet...and I can't figure the damn thing out! The System Preference that it installed makes NO sense and I can't seem to find anywhere to change basic settings such as the pen buttons. Can someone help??

I don't have the Intuos2 tablet, my daughter has the Graphire4. But I think the procedure is similar for either one. I went to the Wacom web site, selected "downloads," and then selected my daughter's product and asked for the Mac OS X driver. The following instructions appeared with the download link:

"This driver supports Graphire4, Graphire Bluetooth, Graphire3, Cintiq 17SX, DTU-710 and DTF-510. It is for use with ALL Macs running Mac OS X v.10.2.8 & later, incl. OSX v10.4. NOTE: OS X v.10.4 and later requires driver version 4.90 or later. Uninstall any driver versions older than version 4.90 before installing this driver. Complete instructions available in FAQ 335 or Keyword Tiger in the FAQ search field. Intel-based Macs require driver version 4.94 or later (version 4.95 is highly recommended). For more details refer to the driver bulletin (pdf)."

So note from the above, at least for the Graphire4, you should first UNINSTALL the old driver and then install the new one. The Wacom web site has various articles and bulletins, also downloadable in pdf format, that explain all this in more detail.

When we did the installation, a Preference Pane was created (restart your Mac, then look for the new Preference Pane). Clicking on that Preference Pane provided all the options to configure the pen and the tablet.

Edit added: I checked and the instructions for your Intuos device are almost the same as the ones for the Graphire4 I printed above.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 09:04 AM

Yeah, getting the driver installed isn't the problem. Figuring out how to USE the driver is. It's a very un-user friendly control panel, IMO. Like I said, I can't figure out how to set up the pen with it. All I see are options to set the buttons that run along the top of the tablet. I don't even use those...just the pen.
Apple user since 1987

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by STAT View Post
Yeah, getting the driver installed isn't the problem. Figuring out how to USE the driver is. It's a very un-user friendly control panel, IMO. Like I said, I can't figure out how to set up the pen with it. All I see are options to set the buttons that run along the top of the tablet. I don't even use those...just the pen.
The Wacom pen tablets have generally gotten rave reviews in journals like Macworld and MacAddict, and that in fact is why I purchased one for my daughter. I also searched on some of the troubleshooting web sites and found very little there on Wacom tablets, indicating a general lack of difficulties for users. This doesn't mean that you haven't enountered something, but my 14-yr old daughter has been using and configuring hers for a year with no problem. When we first got it I had the manual out and was going to show her what to do, but she shooed me away and figured it all out on her own!

She says it's easy and intuitive, so I asked her to show me the Preference Pane. She showed that there are four buttons along the top of the Preference Pane, each enables you to customize some aspect of the tablet and/or pen, simply by clicking on the button, which then opens a window with various options for the item selected. The far left button was for the "pen" and it allowed for adjusting speed and feel of the pen, plus it has pulldown menus to customize the functions assigned to each of the two buttons on the pen. Likewise for the other Preference Pane options, which allow you to customize or tune different aspects of the tablet and/or pen.

I am wondering if you are missing out on this because of some faulty installation of the Preference Pane. Maybe you should delete all the Wacom software and reinstall it cleanly? Another thing to try first, perhaps easier, is to log in as another user and see if the problem persists. Another thing to try is to put the wacom preferences files (not the Preference Pane itself but the preference files, there might be more than one) in the trash, but not empty it, then restart and see if the problem is gone -- if it's gone, empty the trash.

Another thing you should do is to explore whether there might be any conflicts with the Wacom device or its driver, maybe due to some other USB device or some utility you installed previously? You can also explore the Wacom web site knowledge base, which is pretty good, or even call their support line in the last resort.

Again, your issue might be tricky to track down because I think the Wacom tablets are typically considered top of the line and are very popular, so it might be hard to find someone who has experienced something similar. All my daughter's "artistic" friends have them and they use them on PCs as well as Macs. She hasn't used a normal mouse for over a year now, she only uses the pen and tablet now.

I don't think I've solved your problem for you, but you should check carefully that you've followed the installation instructions carefully, you don't have any hacks or sofwtare that might conflict, and that somehow you might have missed the way to use the Preference Pane. In any case, you can try some of the troubleshooting approaches I mention above.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 10:47 AM

Maybe you can post a screenshot of your prefpane so we can compare it. Mine is identical to that of steve626 and is easy to configure.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2006, 02:27 PM

Good ideas guys. Thanks so much for helping me figure this out. Here are screenshots of basically the only two screens that I can seem to get to. I can't find anything about how to program the settings for the buttons on the pen or the pen pressure. Used to, the control panels let you adjust the amount of tilt that the pen would work at and everything. Now I can't find any of that.

Apple user since 1987

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2006, 02:55 AM

Your screen looks quite different from my daughter's, but I can't get to her computer right now because she's asleep and it's in her room. Yours is missing a lot of things it seems. I suppose the difference could be due to you having an Intuos and we have a Graphire4, but I doubt it. Perhaps someone with an Intuos will respond here to confirm.

Meanwhile, did your tablet come with a manual or electronic users guide? Ours showed lots of sample screens, and I'll bet you can download one from the Wacom web site. The manual also explains how to customize it (we never used or needed the manual however).
( Last edited by steve626; Dec 16, 2006 at 05:55 PM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 05:41 PM

Yeah, your screen is totally different from mine:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...acNN/wacom.jpg

Edit: I just realized you have an Intuos, that's probably why. Mine is a Graphire Bluetooth. D'oh!
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 08:44 PM

You should go to

Wacom Technology - Product Manuals

and download the manual for the Intuos2. I did that and the screen shot of the control panel (page 47 of the manual) looks very different from what you posted. Are you sure you have installed the right drivers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules