Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Two Macs, One Firewire HD, Good Program to Auto Backup Both Machines?

Two Macs, One Firewire HD, Good Program to Auto Backup Both Machines?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2007, 05:53 AM

I have a 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 and my wife has a black MacBook. I bought a 320 GB Western Digital "MyBook" external Firewire (400 and 800) hard drive a few months ago when we got the wife's MacBook. However, I have yet been able to get the external set up properly to do regular backups using the supplied Retrospect Express software. What I'm wondering is, is there a software program out there that would allow me to leave the external connect to both my Mac and my wife's Mac and have it perform regularly scheduled backups on each? Of course, I'd like to connect mine to the FW800 port and hers to the FW400 port, but I could daisy chain them with FW400 if need be. Anyhow, any help on picking a software program that could do this (if there is one) and getting it set up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Apple user since 1987

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 05:58 AM

I don't think you can have two computers in a FireWire chain sharing a device like that. Your best bet would be to hook the machine up to the PowerBook (since it has FW800), and to use file sharing to allow the MacBook to access it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 09:17 AM

No, you can't connect a Firewire drive to two computers like that.

Connect it to the less portable Mac and share it over the network for the other machine to back up to.

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 01:10 PM

Isn't that what CharlesS said?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2007, 04:48 PM

OK, that's fine. I'll hook the HD up to my AlBook and share to the wife's BlackBook. That having been said...how do I do it? The Retrospect software never worked right and for some reason didn't seem to think that the external FW HD was a viable volume (or something to that effect). Thanks in advance again for your help guys...file sharing and automatic backups are two things I've never done before.
Apple user since 1987

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2007, 05:22 AM

Anybody?
Apple user since 1987

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2007, 06:39 AM

I can only recommend Time Machine -- which is built right into Leopard. Best backup solution I've seen so far (for consumers, that is).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 02:22 PM

Time Machine is well worth it. Upgrade both machines with a Leopard household license - it's worth it just for that, plus you'll like the rest of leopard.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by STAT View Post
The Retrospect software never worked right and for some reason didn't seem to think that the external FW HD was a viable volume (or something to that effect).
Sounds like the external drive is not Mac-formatted?

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2007, 03:16 AM

I have a similar drive hooked up to my G4 sawtooth and use Time Machine to back up improtant folders. Our G4 powerbook is also backed up via Time Machine to the same drive.

Simply make sure file sharing is enabled, mount the drive on the portable and choose the drive for Time Machine backup. Backup will occur when the drive is available. If your desktop goes to sleep the backup drive may not be available.

It's very easy to set up. Easy to optimize and seems to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules