Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Stain comes OFF on InvisibleSHIELD

Macbook Stain comes OFF on InvisibleSHIELD
weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 11:14 AM

Okay, this is REALLY weird. I got my Macbook in early June, it's been staining, surprise surprise. When it first started, I stopped resting my hands on the handrests until my InvisibleSHIELD arrived, since I was hoping having the shield on would prevent staining. The shield arrived at the end of July, and since then (so about a month) I've been using the handrests and the staining has increased despite the shield. Oh well. I figured I would wait until Apple seems to have a fixed type of plastic before getting mine replaced. But just now, on a whim, I decided to peel off the InvisibleSHIELD to see what happened...AND THE STAIN CAME OFF WITH THE SHIELD. Now, clearly the shield itself isn't what's staining, since that's never happened that I know of, and the stain continues on the tiny bit of space between the shield and where the topcase drops down by the keyboard. But somehow it seems to be taking the stain from the topcase. I can't seem to get the stain OFF the shield, but presumably I could get a new one from the company? Though I'm not sure this fits in with their guarantee, but it might.

Pics:

My stained Macbook:

With the InvisibleSHIELD removed from the left side:

The InvisibleSHIELD on a separate sheet of paper:

Can anyone else confirm this?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 11:24 AM

Your MacBook does not look like the yellowing problem that occured on some early MacBooks. It just looks like dirt, that could be cleaned off, hence the reason it came off when the shield was removed.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

craigb6
Sep 3, 2006, 11:36 AM

He does mention that he tried not to touch his wristpad area before applying the Invisible Shield, and also someone else seems to have had a similar experience - link.

He managed to 'peel off' the discolouration, so maybe something similar occured.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

weissinator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 11:48 AM

It's not just dirt -- the stains on the non-shielded areas don't come off when cleaned, and the stains I had before applying the shield would not come off. Also the stains are on the UNDERSIDE of the shield but have developed after putting it on -- that wouldn't be the case if it were dirt...

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

Man, you guys need to wash your hands more often . Hehe, J/K
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 08:13 AM

Do you think the shield was worth the money?

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 02:39 PM

Errr you mingers, wash your hands after playing in the mud!!!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 05:37 PM

I wash my hand every time before I use the laptop it still has left some stains.

Forum Links
Forum Rules