Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Switching boot

Switching boot
mkerr64
Senior User
Oct 26, 2011, 09:02 PM

Hi there

I have a Mac Pro with 5x 1tbHD (one if which is my startup disk) and i just bought an SSD. I installed OSX Lion on the SSD (120gb) however, my system configurations (i.e dock items, desktop items, top bar) are not as in my other disk. I was wondering how can transfer this information to the ssd so OS X uses the SSD as the boot disk and maintains my dock, desktop items, etc... the way it was originally? is there a quick way or is it manual ?

Thanks
( Last edited by mkerr64; Oct 26, 2011 at 09:45 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2011, 09:46 PM

Dock items and desktop items are all configurations/files in your User account. You can definitely migrate a user over from a previous installation to a new one. There are various ways to do it. But before I describe what you need to do, I have to make sure we're talking about the same issue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Dock items and desktop items are all configurations/files in your User account. You can definitely migrate a user over from a previous installation to a new one. There are various ways to do it. But before I describe what you need to do, I have to make sure we're talking about the same issue.
I just want to maintain everything the way my desktop on my original disk to be transferred to my SSD.
Im guessing the only thing i can do is just drag and drop various things? is there an easier way?

hope that makes sense
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 01:27 AM

That's what the Migration Assistant is made for.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 01:34 AM

Either that or copy the Home folder over and change the paths with the Accounts pane of System Preferences. That's what I'd do.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's what the Migration Assistant is made for.
oh i see. I always thought that it was just to transfer all of your files.
Thank you so much !

Now after I attempted to do migration assistant it froze transferring the files. I turned off my computer and now it is stuck on the white screen. I am attempting I install the OS on an external drive and hope for the best.
I have to use my iPhone to write this
Any advice what else I need to do ?
( Last edited by mkerr64; Oct 27, 2011 at 03:04 AM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 01:12 PM

My method would have worked better. Migration Assistant works for many people, but I've had issues with it. It's not completely bullet-proof.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
My method would have worked better. Migration Assistant works for many people, but I've had issues with it. It's not completely bullet-proof.
I should have done that. right now. my SSD is dead and i manage to have restored my boot drive.

SSD is plug in except that utility finder to locate it. i will probably have to go and return it.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
SSD is plug in except that utility finder to locate it. i will probably have to go and return it.
If Disk Utility cannot format it, it certainly wasn't the Migration Assistant that killed it.

The "issues" that people keep citing (that I've never actually come across on my own machines; in fact, I've only ever had something go seriously wrong with clients' machines twice to my recollection, and one of those was an issue with duplicate users and later migration — it still worked fine, but we had to jump through some hoops) are usually little things, but nothing as catastrophic as a complete disk loss.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If Disk Utility cannot format it, it certainly wasn't the Migration Assistant that killed it.

The "issues" that people keep citing (that I've never actually come across on my own machines; in fact, I've only ever had something go seriously wrong with clients' machines twice to my recollection, and one of those was an issue with duplicate users and later migration — it still worked fine, but we had to jump through some hoops) are usually little things, but nothing as catastrophic as a complete disk loss.

then ill assume that the SSD just died.

are there other way to detect a drive that isn't showing up?
( Last edited by mkerr64; Oct 27, 2011 at 04:03 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules