Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donald Sterling banned from the NBA

Donald Sterling banned from the NBA
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2014, 02:35 PM

Donald Sterling, Los Angeles Clippers owner, receives lifetime ban from NBA - ESPN Los Angeles
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling received a lifetime ban from the NBA and a $2.5 million fine.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced the discipline Tuesday, three days after the revelation of an audio recording in which Sterling made racist comments.

Silver confirmed Tuesday that the voice on the recording was Sterling's.
Details aren't clear yet, but I'm impressed with the new commish. His action is far more unilateral than I expected (I would had all the owners vote to remove him from ownership).

Sterling is a scumbag that's been a blight on the NBA (and Californians) for so long. This has been a long time coming.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2014, 02:44 PM

There's been lots of commentary before this, but I suspect that most people will be surprised at how satisfied they are by the NBA`s decision. I mean, it's a pretty damn harsh punishment, however well deserved.

Silver seems to get a lot of respect by everyone who deals with him. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall if David Stern discussed this issue over the past couple days.....not saying it would have been any different, but it was clearly well past time for Stern to go.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
There's been lots of commentary before this, but I suspect that most people will be surprised at how satisfied they are by the NBA`s decision. I mean, it's a pretty damn harsh punishment, however well deserved.
If his old quotes and lawsuits are brought up, hell yeah.

Silver seems to get a lot of respect by everyone who deals with him. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall if David Stern discussed this issue over the past couple days.....not saying it would have been any different, but it was clearly well past time for Stern to go.
Stern would likely have been insufferable with jedi lawyer speak.

The last 10-15 years of Sterns reign was a waste, if not detrimental for the NBA. Silver seems open both about the process and ideas to improve the game.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The last 10-15 years of Sterns reign was a waste, if not detrimental for the NBA. Silver seems open both about the process and ideas to improve the game.
Drill a few holes into the top of the rim and it hook up to a propane tank. Hit the ignite button every time a player goes on a shooting streak.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2014, 03:15 PM

I don't much keep up with the NBA but this was a swift and just response from Silver. In a sport dominated by black people having an outwardly racist owner just cannot happen.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2014, 04:31 PM

I agree with what Mark Cuban said... This is an interesting predicament.

Anyway, are you really punishing a guy by forcing him to sell a team at the peak of it's worth? I like the free agency option much better.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2014, 04:37 PM

What he did certainly isn't illegal, but ultimately it's up to the NBA to decide how they want their product to be presented.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I agree with what Mark Cuban said... This is an interesting predicament.

Seriously, this guy is an affront to the majority of the players in the league, not to mention a lot of fans.

Anyway, are you really punishing a guy by forcing him to sell a team at the peak of it's worth? I like the free agency option much better.
You are if he doesn't want to sell the team. But that's not the point. The point is the NBA doesn't want him representing them poorly, and more importantly, I'm sure the players don't to play for or in arena where they're lining this guys pockets.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2014, 05:13 PM

The wisest among us realize the mob mentality is a very dangerous discourse, and one that over time can extend beyond clear cut "wrong" and "right" for the vast majority of us and further towards "this opinion" and "that opinion." Your cartoon is absolutely correct, but i think misses the point. There is a difference between citing the 1st as a legal shield and embracing it's spirit when deciding how to deal with a total moron.

That said...

Seriously, this guy is an affront to the majority of the players in the league, not to mention a lot of fans.

You are if he doesn't want to sell the team. But that's not the point. The point is the NBA doesn't want him representing them poorly, and more importantly, I'm sure the players don't to play for or in arena where they're lining this guys pockets.
Exactly - go let him be a rich moron somewhere else. I applaud the NBA for this decision (and am pleasantly surprised with the quickness and decisiveness of this ruling). Sport's teams owners benefit immensely from public funds (stadiums, police, etc) and therefore must be held accountable for their statements and decisions as that beneficiary. The NBA is setup (among other things) to do just that. I don't think you really have to go polling to figure out how the vast majority of people feel about this situation, and am glad they are pursuing every option to remove Sterling from association with the sport.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2014, 09:00 PM

According to the league constitution they can't do what they're trying to do to him, for this type of offense. I agree with Cuban, let his players drop their contracts, if they want, and fine him. But an outright ban from the game, and the loss of the team, over a private conversation that wasn't even team related? That's a dangerous precedent to set. Should a black player or coach be banned for life for calling a white guy a cracker, even if it's supposedly said in confidence to someone else?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
According to the league constitution they can't do what they're trying to do to him, for this type of offense. I agree with Cuban, let his players drop their contracts, if they want, and fine him. But an outright ban from the game, and the loss of the team, over a private conversation that wasn't even team related? That's a dangerous precedent to set. Should a black player or coach be banned for life for calling a white guy a cracker, even if it's supposedly said in confidence to someone else?
No, since your hypothetical scenario is completely different than Sterling's and can easily be distinguished.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2014, 10:52 PM

No, since your hypothetical scenario is completely different than Sterling's and can easily be distinguished.
Distinguished from what? There's no other racism in the NBA? Only white people can be punished severely for racism? How does that work?

Incognito should have been banned for life for what he did with the Dolphins, that was severe. What Sterling said doesn't even compare.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Sealobo
Apr 30, 2014, 01:54 AM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2014, 07:10 AM

Distinguished from what? There's no other racism in the NBA? Only white people can be punished severely for racism? How does that work?

Incognito should have been banned for life for what he did with the Dolphins, that was severe. What Sterling said doesn't even compare.
I was in a hurry on the iPad. Nevertheless, your comments took me aback:
According to the league constitution they can't do what they're trying to do to him, for this type of offense.
Could you point out where this is so, please? I have not yet read the constitution, but it seems clear that they can fine him $2.5 mill and the owners can collectively vote him out as well. My understanding is that the lifetime ban likely stems from a general catch-all power held by the commish, but I haven't seen an analysis as of yet.
I agree with Cuban, let his players drop their contracts, if they want, and fine him. But an outright ban from the game, and the loss of the team, over a private conversation that wasn't even team related? That's a dangerous precedent to set.
Cuban made a twitter statement yesterday that he completely agreed with the punishment.

How is it a dangerous precedent? If the league's constitution has given the owners a collective power to vote out another owner, then it would seem to contemplate that an owner can be so repugnant that they can lose a team. Or can the other owners only exercise that power in specific situations?

Furthermore, it seems obvious to me that this conversation was team related. It was specifically in reference to a former player and current league analyst, generally in reference to a minority that constitutes 3/4 of the league's players, and it was about Sterling's wish to not have that person and/or that minority brought to the Clippers' games.

I'm slightly confused how you could honestly say that is not a team-related conversation.

Should a black player or coach be banned for life for calling a white guy a cracker, even if it's supposedly said in confidence to someone else?
This comment is the source of my original dismissal. This situation is completely different on the facts. First of all, Sterling has a position of immense power with respect to the organization's activities. Secondly, he specifically used his power to impose a discriminatory action against a minority because of their race.

Those are clearly substantially different facts from that of a black person calling a white person "cracker" and could easily support a different punishment.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2014, 07:34 AM

Now if we can get rid of the racist idiots like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Chris Matthews, Rev. Wright, etc.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2014, 08:01 AM

I don't even

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 09:46 AM

I don't even
They all own NBA teams. Didn't you know?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 09:49 AM

BTW, I think some of the outrage of Sterling isn't just the racism, but the astounding hypocrisy. As Jon Stewart pointed out, Sterling doesn't like black people...except when it deals with his dick or his wallet.

Also, for extra WTF-ness, in the picture of his gf with a black man on Instagram he was pissed about, the black man was Magic Johnson. One of the best (and most liked) players ever in the NBA. That an M. Night Shamalalala-like twist.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 09:51 AM

...and for Shaddim
That "Secret" NBA Constitution Is Now Online

Also, once again SIlver impresses. That's some instantaneous transparency.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
The wisest among us realize the mob mentality is a very dangerous discourse, and one that over time can extend beyond clear cut "wrong" and "right" for the vast majority of us and further towards "this opinion" and "that opinion."
Playing devil's advocate here, what's the difference between mob mentality and "the free market"?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 12:57 PM

I was unsure about the legality of banning Sterling from his own purchased franchise, but since the details of the Constitution have come to light...

The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.
...then excellent job on doing the right thing and banning the racist for life. And bonus points for doing it so quickly. I know the players especially appreciated Silver swinging the banhammer like a Nordic god.

Side note: anyone else notice how shaky his voice was during the press conference? He definitely felt the weight of the situation.

Magic made the comment on NBA Countdown that he hated that the Sterling controversy was distracting everyone from what he believes to be the greatest first round in NBA Playoffs history.

[EDIT] - Forgot to add that I agree with Magic's assessment. This first round has been amazing. And you better believe I lost my mind when Vince Carter hit that ridiculous game-winning three (although I wish it would've been Ellis or Dirk).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 01:03 PM

The league fines (and I think has the power to ban from) the players for shit they say on their private twitter. They damn well better be able to hold owners accountable for horrible shit they say.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Side note: anyone else notice how shaky his voice was during the press conference? He definitely felt the weight of the situation.
Didn't watch the video, but its a hell of a situation to handle your freshman year of being a commissioner.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2014, 01:37 PM

And you better believe I lost my mind when Vince Carter hit that ridiculous game-winning three (although I wish it would've been Ellis or Dirk).
As a Raptors fan, I am contractually obligated to boo Vince for the remainder of his natural existence.

...unless he signs as our backup SF next year of course, in which I'll lose my mind every time he shows a flash of the old Vince and continually tell young children about the time I watched the 2000 dunk contest

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 01:41 PM

tell young children about the time I watched the 2000 dunk contest
It's still amazing 14 years later.

Edit: This too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 01:46 PM

Didn't watch the video, but its a hell of a situation to handle your freshman year of being a commissioner.
No doubt about it.

As a Raptors fan, I am contractually obligated to boo Vince for the remainder of his natural existence.

...unless he signs as our backup SF next year of course, in which I'll lose my mind every time he shows a flash of the old Vince and continually tell young children about the time I watched the 2000 dunk contest
Considering what he did to Toronto, I don't blame you. One of the most loathsome player departure stories ever. I love reading/hearing Bill Simmons talk about how much he hates him. Also, Vinsanity is a stupid nickname.

I've grumbled and complained about him during his entire Mavs tenure, but I forgot about it for about ten minutes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 01:47 PM

It's still amazing 14 years later.

Edit: This too.

The best part is nearly landing an accidental haymaker on KG, and both of them pretending it never (almost) happened.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2014, 01:52 PM

What do I mean by excessive? Suspend doesn't mean "ban", the financial punishment is more than double the limit allowed, and the accused is allowed a hearing before such sanctions are levied. If this goes to a court or arbitration it'll get bounced back at them, according to the letter of the "law". What kind of a stink do you think that will cause? Sterling is obviously a sack of shit, I'm not denying that, but when you step outside the bounds of the rules to make an example, or build your reputation (freshman commissioner), it tends to come back and bite you in the ass. Ask the DAs and AG in Florida about that.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 30, 2014 at 02:29 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2014, 02:19 PM

Why is the financial punishment more than double the limit allowed?
The Commissioner shall, wherever there is a rule for which no penalty is specifically fixed for violation thereof, have the authority to fix such penalty as in the Commissioner's judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-Laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000.
Edit: I suppose it could be argued that the maximum penalty has already been fixed, as per Jawbone's post above, and therefore the Commish does not have authority to raise the fine under this clause.

I dunno, I need to see this thing

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2014, 02:53 PM

Sterling admitted the voice on the tape belonged to him. The fine is the maximum allowed by the NBA bylaws. The ban was for this particular incident alone but the owners will convene to make a decision on his ownership based on ALL his past behavior. There's little doubt they will force him out.

He'll sell the team, make ~50x profit, and slink away from basketball.

I think you are WAY off here. That whole thing was blown way out of proportion. This is was a cut and dry example of institutionalized racism. Anything short of a lifetime ban would have been weak. Besides, he's 80. How long do you really think that "lifetime" will be?
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Apr 30, 2014 at 03:10 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 02:56 PM

It's too bad they can't do something evil like return his initial investment plus interest. But that's the revulsion talking.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 03:11 PM

I don't think it should be overlooked that Silver's hands were absolutely tied. There was talk of a mass boycott of playoff games by the players. This wasn't a small issue or even a mild test for Silver. This was bigger than any lockout or NBAPA dispute. This was the future of the league at stake. This is arguably bigger than any controversy that David Stern ever faced.

The NBA is, in many ways, an embodiment of African-American culture, despite the mostly-white fans in the first few rows (Drake notwithstanding). Over 70% of the players are black. Black players have shaped the game of basketball in ways that whites couldn't. You don't own a team in a league that IS African-American and make racist statements. Sure, the comments were made in private, but now tens of millions of people are talking about it. The outrage from African-Americans is perfectly justifiable. They're saying, "We thought this was OUR league, but now we're not so sure. Maybe we are just playing on a rich, old, white man's plantation."

Here's an analogy:

I live in a neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association. There are HOA guidelines that I must follow, and I signed an agreement that states I will obey them. If I decide to wall up my garage and convert it into a game room, I'm committing an HOA violation in my neighborhood because the contract that I signed states that I have to have a functional garage on my property. They can put a lien on my house until I comply. Sure, it's my house...but it came with certain agreements. They're protecting the longevity of the neighborhood.

The NBA is a collection of teams, owned by very rich people who signed paperwork that requires their commitment and compliance to NBA-sanctioned rulings. If they are acting in a manner that is truly detrimental to the health of the NBA, there is a clause in their by-laws that states a 75% vote can force them into selling their team.

Yes, Sterling is a racist idiot. Yes, he a very rich man who bought the Clippers fair and square. But purchasing the Clippers wasn't like purchasing a pair of shoes. He actually had to sign away some of his rights in order to own the team — one of those rights being the right to tear down the (very valuable) asset that is the Los Angeles Clippers.

Who decides if he's unfit to own the team? His fellow owners. They all agree to these terms when they bought their way into the NBA owner brotherhood. He will certainly sue the NBA, but he'll also lose. Count on it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2014, 03:26 PM

I don't think it should be overlooked that Silver's hands were absolutely tied.
Yeah, from a PR standpoint even if he didn't want to ban Sterling this is the best move. Even if the inevitable outcome is court, the costs wouldn't even touch the loss in sponsorship and revenue being weak would have caused.

Drake makes Wayne Brady look like Malcolm X.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2014, 03:59 PM

This was in the courtroom follies thread, but since it's from Sterling, I guess now it belongs here, too...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This was in the courtroom follies thread, but since it's from Sterling, I guess now it belongs here, too...
I thought that was a joke. Had to look it up. Holy crap.

This guy...

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2014, 04:10 PM

I can't explain why, but I get the strangest feeling this was a deleted scene from Blazing Saddles.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2014, 06:29 PM

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 06:45 AM

This guy...
... is very polite. He thanks her afterwards. A true gentleman!
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2014, 09:46 AM

Well, well, history repeats itself.

The NBA Wanted To Kick Donald Sterling Out Of The League In 1982

The then-San Diego Clippers were a mess of a franchise after Sterling bought them in 1981. In attempts to cut costs, Sterling fell behind on paychecks, forced players to fly coach despite first class being mandated in their contracts, and attempted to move the team to L.A. (He would successfully relocate in 1984, still without the NBA's approval.)

There was a tape involved, too. Sterling was recorded saying his team needed to finish last to land Ralph Sampson in the draft—yes, the NBA used to get upset about tanking.

A special six-owner committee formed by the Board of Governors recommended that the NBA terminate Sterling's ownership. "He's as good as gone," one NBA exec told the Times. A month after that meeting, according to a contemporary AP report, the NBA ordered the league's other teams not to conduct any business with the Clippers without first gaining league approval.

So why did Sterling keep the team? After the committee met, the next step was for the league's Advisory-Finance Committee to review the recommendations, before passing it on for a full vote of the Board of Governors. It never made it that far. A week after the six-owner committee met, Sterling announced he wanted sell the team. The furor died down, and five months later, NBA president David Stern (Larry O'Brien was the commissioner) announced that the league was no longer pursuing action.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 11:07 AM

I'm not defending his words, but I'm not sure I understand how something this man said in private, while being secretly (and illegally) recorded, resulted in being fined millions of dollars.

I understand why the NBA would want to kick him out, to avoid the black eye on the league, but did he actually violate the rules of the league? Are people now not allowed to say bad things in private? It's not like he called a press conference. He was illegally taped by someone who was probably trying to blackmail him.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm not defending his words, but I'm not sure I understand how something this man said in private, while being secretly (and illegally) recorded, resulted in being fined millions of dollars.

I understand why the NBA would want to kick him out, to avoid the black eye on the league, but did he actually violate the rules of the league? Are people now not allowed to say bad things in private? It's not like he called a press conference. He was illegally taped by someone who was probably trying to blackmail him.
The NBA tend to be gigantic dicks about anything anyone in the league says.

Edit: Supposedly the recordings were at his behest, if that changes anything for you.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 11:31 AM

I really don't get the "private" argument at all.

Who cares if he originally said it in private? It became public knowledge, everyone concluded that he was a total asshole, and it undeniably made the NBA look terrible.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2014, 11:34 AM

It doesn't matter if the comments were private or not, because they no longer are. They are as public as public gets. I don't like HOW they became public, but that doesn't matter anymore.

(Small point here: if you date money-grubbing vixens, expect them to do vixen-like things)

Forget that the public knows what was said. They players know. In a league that's over 70% black, it's no surprise that there was going to be a mass protest by the players if Silver's response wasn't stern enough (partial pun), with a possibility that all six teams on schedule to play that day were going to refuse to play. Imagine the television and advertising repercussions. The Clippers lost advertisers. If the NBA didn't respond forcefully, the league would be sure to lose sponsors as well.

Sterling's private-then-public comments damaged the league, and that's why Silver had to act, and that's why the NBA's Constitution exists as it does. The league isn't the U.S. government — they're a business. And as a business, they have the right to protect the product's commercial viability.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 11:36 AM

It's a private club and they can kick anyone out they want to. I don't have a problem with that part. The thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the 2.5 million dollar fine.

The league can fine people for violating their rules, sure... but can it really fine people for what they say in the privacy of their own homes while being secretly recorded? You fine people for actions, not thoughts or intents. HE didn't publicly say these things. He didn't do anything to exclude black people from his franchise. He said some terrible things in a setting where he didn't think they would get out.

How does that result in a 2.5 million dollar fine?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 2, 2014, 11:39 AM

His words, whether illegally obtained or not, are out in the public view. None of this is a criminal prosecution so the legality of it does not really matter. His words are extremely detrimental financially to a brand under the NBA umbrella. Remember, he owns a franchise, not a separate entity. When something like this comes to light and potentially alienates one of their brands from their customer base, the NBA has the ability to diminish the damage by banning him for life. The OWNERS want him out because his presence still hurts all of their brands, investments. The Commissioner works for the owners; Silver did all in his power: lifetime ban, max fine. Forcing a selling of the team comes from the 29 other owners protecting their own investments. You cannot have someone like that in a position of power in a league dominated by minorities.

Again, remember that anything short of a lifetime ban would have not been accepted by the players. The Golden State Warriors and Clippers, absent of a lifetime ban, were prepared to go through all pregame motions as usual, then walk off the court when the ball was tipped off. There would have been other refusals to play in a great NBA playoffs.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2014, 11:47 AM

WTF is it with people? Sorry, but it does NOT sound like Clarkson said "the N word" in one of his segment takes (it never even aired), it could have been any word that ends with an "-er". Personally I think it sounds more like ginger than anything else.

BBC Under Pressure to Fire Jeremy Clarkson Over Racial Slur - WSJ.com
- Thomas Paine

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 2, 2014, 11:51 AM

It's a private club and they can kick anyone out they want to. I don't have a problem with that part. The thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the 2.5 million dollar fine.

The league can fine people for violating their rules, sure... but can it really fine people for what they say in the privacy of their own homes while being secretly recorded? You fine people for actions, not thoughts or intents. HE didn't publicly say these things. He didn't do anything to exclude black people from his franchise. He said some terrible things in a setting where he didn't think they would get out.

How does that result in a 2.5 million dollar fine?
Sheesh, I'd think those with so many questions would be looking stuff up on their own. Look up details Elgin Baylor's lawsuit for wrongful termination based on age and race. This was not the first time Sterling's bigotry reared its head in the NBA.

What I think a lot of people are missing here is the fact he is in an utmost position of power. Do you really think his bigotry doesn't affect the decisions he makes as an owner? He fielded awful teams, paid coaches and players less than league averages, and sat back and profited. The Clippers only just got good in the past ~7 years. Before this stretch, the Clippers were THE laughingstock of the NBA. He generally ran the organization with a plantation-owner's mentality.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 11:57 AM

I'm not defending the guy. He's a grade A doosh. Screw that guy. What he said turns my stomach.

I fully support the NBA kicking him out of the league. It's a private organization and having him as an owner would severely tarnish the brand. Having him remain in power would be untenable. It would be a complete disaster for the league.

But my question still stands. How can they fine him 2.5 million dollars for being a reprehensible racist? For something he said in the privacy of his own home.

I bet if you put secret microphones in every NBA owner and players house and cherry picked out the juicy bits... at least 50% of them would end up getting kicked out for saying all sorts of horrible stuff.
( Last edited by ort888; May 2, 2014 at 02:45 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 2, 2014, 03:29 PM

They fined him because his words hurt the NBA's brand. Other actions are fineable if it hurts the NBA's image. It's really not any more complicated than that. I saw the actual clause on a talk show, but I can't remember how it was worded. It was legalese which is left up to some interpretation, despite it not specifically citing bigotry.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 04:16 PM

WTF is it with people? Sorry, but it does NOT sound like Clarkson said "the N word" in one of his segment takes (it never even aired), it could have been any word that ends with an "-er". Personally I think it sounds more like ginger than anything else.

BBC Under Pressure to Fire Jeremy Clarkson Over Racial Slur - WSJ.com
The larger question is WTF is wrong with Clarkson?

Jeremy Clarkson has begged viewers' forgiveness after he appeared to use the N-word during filming of his BBC programme Top Gear.

In a video statement posted online on Thursday, he said that he had tried to obscure the word when reciting the "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" nursery rhyme to chose between two cars, but that his efforts to do so "weren't quite good enough".

Clarkson had previously issued a robust denial of the allegation, telling his 3.2 million Twitter followers: "I did not use the N-word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time."

But footage of the incident was later posted on The Daily Mirror website. In it Clarkson recites the beginning of the children's nursery rhyme "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" before apparently mumbling: "Catch a n*gger by his toe."

His apology came after a day of growing calls for the BBC to sack him. The corporation issued a strongly worded statement saying: "Jeremy Clarkson has set out the background to this regrettable episode. We have made it absolutely clear to him, the standards the BBC expects on air and off. We have left him in no doubt about how seriously we view this.".
Jeremy Clarkson 'begs forgiveness' over N-word footage | Media | The Guardian

Note the part where he said "The Mirror has gone way too far this time." As in, this isn't the first time Mr. Clarkson has been in hot water over his use of such language. So given those circumstances, why on earth would he try to recite this rhyme and "obscure" or "mumble" the n-word? Anyone who is familiar with it will hear anything that even remotely sounds like the n-word as the n-word because that is what's expected to be there. The mind has a way of "filling in the blanks". Alternatively, he could have just as easily used a different word altogether. As in "Catch a pickle by his toe." .... like every single black person I knew used to do when we were kids. And every single white person as well. At least in mixed company. Yeah yeah I know pickles don't have toes. But that wouldn't be the first time a nursery rhyme contained something nonsensical. And saying something silly was certainly better than catching an ass-whooping if an adult ever caught you reciting the "original" version. But instead Mr. Clarkson chose to go out like Rick Santorum with his infamous "blah people" comment with respect to welfare. So now he's facing consequences and repercussions. The sh*t ain't rocket science.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules