Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Looking to purchase a Mac Notebook, and need advice.

Looking to purchase a Mac Notebook, and need advice.
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Haven't owned a mac laptop personally in a while. Wife has an old school MBP. We also have an iMac in the home. I told myself that once the new books dropped, I'd grab one.

Now that they are here, I don't which one is right for me.

The machine would see a lot of use in video editing (nothing fancy, iMovie I use for home videos), web surfing, website creation, garage band. Nothing that I would consider major personally. The one thing I gather is that SSD is the way to go. However, I'm the type of person that wants EVERYTHING I own on the book at all times. I have an extensive video, music and photo collection. And I never want to run into a situation where I'm picking and choosing what to keep on the mpb. I do game. I don't play anything really demanding. Currently playing Diablo 3. I feel like the 1gb gpu is a better bet than the 512.

I'm really torn about the retina books. They are very expensive and basically non-upgradable. And personally I don't like dropping the dvd drive.

So, is the current non retina 2.6 ghz "worth" it? I've read some opinions that more or less felt like one would be better off buying the previous model than the current. Any thoughts?

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2012, 10:55 PM

How about the idea of buying a non-retina MBP, putting in an SSD, and replacing the optical drive with an OWC Data Doubler with a 1GB drive in it?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2012, 07:09 AM

Or even a 1TB drive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

My vote would be for buying a new (or preferably a refurb) pre-June 2012 MBP. SSD models with matte display are available. Or like Nergol said
How about the idea of buying a non-retina MBP, putting in an SSD, and replacing the optical drive with an OWC Data Doubler with a 1GB [sic]drive in it?
It works great.

-Allen

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2012, 08:45 PM

Err... yeah. I think you'd want more than 1GB. I bought the Western Digital WD10JPVT. It's not the world's fastest drive, but it's reliable and has lots of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 09:57 AM

The light weight of the new 15" MacBook Pro is very nice. The cost isn't though. It's horrendously expensive. Plus, for me, it's way too big. Light is nice, but I find all 15" laptops far too big for pleasant mobile use. The larger screen would be nice for your video editing though.

I also personally would not buy a USB 2.0 MacBook Pro with optical drive either. How often do you use the optical drive? If frequently then your choice is easy. Get the USB 3 non-Retina MacBook Pro, and stick in a 750 GB hybrid drive. Not as good as an SSD, but way more storage for a decent price. Or else break the bank and get a 512 GB SSD if that's sufficient.

Forum Links
Forum Rules