Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donald Sterling banned from the NBA

Donald Sterling banned from the NBA (Page 2)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I bet if you put secret microphones in every NBA owner and players house and cherry picked out the juicy bits... at least 50% of them would end up getting kicked out for saying all sorts of horrible stuff.
Probably so. The bottom line though is Sterling is the one who got caught.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The larger question is WTF is wrong with Clarkson?

Jeremy Clarkson 'begs forgiveness' over N-word footage | Media | The Guardian

Note the part where he said "The Mirror has gone way too far this time."
No, as in, they go after him for anything he says or does, racial matters notwithstanding. Your assumptions are part of what skews these issues, then leaves things on a tangent for months on end.

As in, this isn't the first time Mr. Clarkson has been in hot water over his use of such language. So given those circumstances, why on earth would he try to recite this rhyme and "obscure" or "mumble" the n-word? Anyone who is familiar with it will hear anything that even remotely sounds like the n-word as the n-word because that is what's expected to be there. The mind has a way of "filling in the blanks". Alternatively, he could have just as easily used a different word altogether. As in "Catch a pickle by his toe." .... like every single black person I knew used to do when we were kids. And every single white person as well. At least in mixed company. Yeah yeah I know pickles don't have toes. But that wouldn't be the first time a nursery rhyme contained something nonsensical. And saying something silly was certainly better than catching an ass-whooping if an adult ever caught you reciting the "original" version. But instead Mr. Clarkson chose to go out like Rick Santorum with his infamous "blah people" comment with respect to welfare. So now he's facing consequences and repercussions. The sh*t ain't rocket science.

OAW
I want to be very clear here, so no one continues to go on incorrectly about this, HE DID USE A DIFFERENT WORK WHEN IT AIRED, he used the word "teacher", very clearly and with great fervor. Seriously, it was a mumble during a pair of takes that never aired on TV, one in particular could have been "the N word" or ~30k other words. So as to not cause the ridiculous garbage we're seeing now he talked with the producers, and sent a formal message, to ensure the correct take was used.

This racial witch hunt sh** has to stop, it's absorbing valuable resources and bandwidth that could be used for more important ends, like Farmville or watching whatever the Kardashians are up to.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Probably so. The bottom line though is Sterling is the one who got caught.

OAW
and that explains the hypocrisy in all this. Yep, he's guilty of being a racist ass, but potentially so is most of the NBA.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2014, 03:51 AM

Boston, now that's a racist s***hole. Why isn't this making more headlines?

Twitter, racism and the Boston Bruins | Globalnews.ca
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
and that explains the hypocrisy in all this. Yep, he's guilty of being a racist ass, but potentially so is most of the NBA.
Errrrrrrrr.......come on folks, it's not hypocrisy if we're speculating. The rest of the owners could very well be the least discriminatory people ever for all we know.

Boston, now that's a racist s***hole. Why isn't this making more headlines?

Twitter, racism and the Boston Bruins | Globalnews.ca
Hahaha that "Stay classy, Boston" at the end is the greatest troll pic ever.

It has been making news up here.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2014, 07:32 AM

Wait, isn't Jay-Z heavily involved in cultivating NBA talent today as once owner of the Brooklyn Nets, while also "quietly" supporting the Nation of Islam's 5% Nation? Is it okay that an overt misogynist this connected to the basketball industry should believe that whites are weaker, wicked, and inferior to the black man and remain employed? It's not like the NAACP was about to grant Jay-Z a lifetime achievement award, unlike Sterling.

Sterling's comments were worthy of action, yes. So too are a wealth of others, but there is a clear double-standard at play as usual folks and if you don't think this standard is entirely about the dollars, you have no sense. It's not about racial injustice or any of that. -- it's about the show and the money you get and who else gets it from you.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2014, 08:25 AM

It seems that some people are trying to fast track his ouster as an owner while emotions were at their peak, and that's typically a very bad idea. When forces are pushing that hard, you need to stop everything and dispassionately evaluate what's really happening. I have no doubt Sterling's an asshole, but there's so much more going on here. Look how many groups are lobbying to become the new owners, but more importantly, who is in them.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 09:14 AM

You guys do realize the players and teams want no part of him, right? If Silver hadn't handed down judgement, all six teams were going to walk off the court that night.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 6, 2014, 11:54 AM

Amazing how many racists you can find when you look. Hypocrites too. What can you do? Perhaps that IS where we are as a culture.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 6, 2014, 01:10 PM

It is amazing how many people aren't aware that when your preface is akin to "I'm not racist but...." odds are, what you are about to say is prejudiced.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
It is amazing how many people aren't aware that when your preface is akin to "I'm not racist but...." odds are, what you are about to say is prejudiced.
Who's doing that?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You guys do realize the players and teams want no part of him, right? If Silver hadn't handed down judgement, all six teams were going to walk off the court that night.
I'd let them walk, that kind of crap is nearly as bad as the racism itself.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 02:32 PM

I'd let them walk, that kind of crap is nearly as bad as the racism itself.
What kind of crap is nearly as bad?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2014, 06:29 AM

Good point and I do understand this. I also understand that there's something particularly stupid about racism directed at black people in an overwhelmingly, predominantly black association. And I get that he signed a contract with provisions to get rid of people by vote, for making the association look bad and he most certainly put himself in the position of being voted out. I shed no tears over Sterling's ouster, it's just frustrating to see the double-standards in such plain sight while everyone struggling for relevance gets to feign indignation and outrage... and a sudden interest in the franchise.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 08:09 AM

What kind of crap is nearly as bad?
Knowing that something is wrong but deciding to play anyway, then suddenly stopping at the most opportune time to get the most attention.
- Thomas Paine

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 7, 2014, 08:23 AM

Knowing that something is wrong but deciding to play anyway, then suddenly stopping at the most opportune time to get the most attention.
I really have no idea why it is so hard to understand this chain of events.

The comments were released on April 25. Clippers/Warriors had a game on the 27th and strongly considered boycotting that game. Silver made a statement they were investigating and would have a decision by the 29th, and the Clippers decided against a boycott. Instead, they turned their warm-ups inside out to obscure any Clippers logo, then dumped them at half court in unison to express their feelings as a team. They gave the commissioner time to evaluate and levy discipline before a more severe protest.

The Clippers/Warriors had a game the night of the 29th. If Silver pussy-footed the punishment or the punishment was not strong enough, the teams were going to walk-off to protest the potentially weak decision. Instead, Silver came down with an extremely harsh punishment to the satisfaction of the players, coaches, etc.

I am pretty sure you are old enough to remember the non-violent forms of resistance during the Civil Rights Movement. To suggest it was some sort of hissy-fit, attention-grabbing scheme is just utterly uninformed at the very least.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 09:32 AM

I am pretty sure you are old enough to remember the non-violent forms of resistance during the Civil Rights Movement. To suggest it was some sort of hissy-fit, attention-grabbing scheme is just utterly uninformed at the very least.
Equating the reactions of a group of coddled, millionaire prima donnas to the tribulations of CRM? Honestly? I wasn't aware that blacks in the South were getting paid $5k-20k per minute to play a game. "Oh no! There's racism in basketball!? We're shocked, I tell you! We aren't racist!"

Honest question, when is Spike Lee going to be banned from attending NBA games?
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
it's just frustrating to see the double-standards in such plain sight while everyone struggling for relevance gets to feign indignation and outrage... and a sudden interest in the franchise.
No one even compares to Sterling. He's a vile human being; No other owner comes close.

Opportune or realistic? It's hard to drum up support unless there's something fresh and tangible. This guy was almost kicked out of the league once and generally regarded as a terrible human being. But as far as visibility, he's been able to stay out of the media til now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 09:59 AM

Honest question, when is Spike Lee going to be banned from attending NBA games?
When he outrages the owners, players, and fans, I imagine.

This sums up the political situation in the country perfectly. White guy in power says horrific racist shit in predominantly black league, gets banned; Conservatives desperately look for someone of the other side to get banned because... equity. You guys feel so persecuted that even when a someone who you guys will admit is an asshole gets his just reward, you guys are scrambling to try to find someone on the other side to keep the equation balanced.

Let me in on a little secret: If you guys do find anti-white bias (or, more correctly, black privilege) in the NBA, imagine if the whole country was like that. Then you might know what it's like to be black.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 11:02 AM

Instead of using this as an opportunity to discuss racism on both sides of the ball, let's make an emotional plea based on a snap decision, then fire off a lifetime ban and strong recommendations for property seizure against an obviously cranky old fart, who was jealous that his young lover was spending time with a more attractive, younger man. While Spike Lee, a paid spokesman for the NBA, can say that he's aggressively against mixed race couples and gets ignored.

"The whole country"? Really? You can't be serious.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 12:12 PM

While Spike Lee, a paid spokesman for the NBA, can say that he's aggressively against mixed race couples and gets ignored.
Now paid sponsor is worth noting. I don't care about Lee either way, but I won't put him anywhere near the ballpark of Sterling's lifetime achievements.

"The whole country"? Really? You can't be serious.
Am I serious that blacks have it harder than whites in general in this country? Yes, I am.

let's make an emotional plea based on a snap decision, then fire off a lifetime ban and strong recommendations for property seizure against an obviously cranky old fart, who was jealous that his young lover was spending time with a more attractive, younger man.
Speaking of you can't be serious.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2014, 12:47 PM

It's hard out there for successful white men.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 12:54 PM

It's hard out there for successful white men.
If you can't denigrate you tenants, employees, coaches, and players, what's the point of being rich?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:44 PM

If you can't grouse about the rich, what's the point of being poor?

It's hard for anyone who is successful, too many people out there trying to tear you down.

That's not true actually, the only time I hear anyone cry is online. "It's sooo unfair, WHAA!!" My heart bleeds for those poor poor people, it really does.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:50 PM

Am I serious that blacks have it harder than whites in general in this country? Yes, I am.
Oftentimes that's not due to others.

Speaking of you can't be serious.
He couldn't have been jealous? Most likely it's more complicated than what was seen at first glance. A mix of racism and jealousy is the most likely conclusion, whether some want to admit it or not.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 01:59 PM

Oftentimes that's not due to others.
That doesn't rebut anything.

He couldn't have been jealous? Most likely it's more complicated than what was seen at first glance. A mix of racism and jealousy is the most likely conclusion, whether some want to admit it or not.
I get the feeling you haven't even read the quotes. Please tell me you're not in here downplaying things without knowing how much of a scumbag this guy is.

"I think the fact that you admire [Magic] -- I've known him well, and he should be admired," Sterling replies. "And I'm just saying that it's too bad you can't admire him privately. And during your ENTIRE FU CKING LIFE, your whole life, admire him -- bring him here, feed him, fu ck him, I don't care. You can do anything. But don't put him on an Instagram for the world to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games. OK?"

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 02:04 PM

He's so racist he had to make Fu King into an Asian joke.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2014, 02:55 PM

It's hard for anyone who is successful, too many people out there trying to tear you down.

As opposed to everyone else who has already been succesfully torn down.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 03:00 PM

"so they have to call me"
"don't bring him to my games"

That actually does sound more like jealousy than straight-up bigotry. "I don't want people calling me asking what my girlfriend is doing always hanging out with some other man." Like I said before, there are probably many layers to this.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 03:03 PM

As opposed to everyone else who has already been succesfully torn down.
Sorry, but no. Victimhood doesn't have any real value, at least not in the 1st world. There are too many opportunities available, just for the asking.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 03:13 PM

"so they have to call me"
"don't bring him to my games"

That actually does sound more like jealousy than straight-up bigotry. "I don't want people calling me asking what my girlfriend is doing always hanging out with some other man." Like I said before, there are probably many layers to this.

V: I don't understand, I don't see your views. I wasn't raised the way you were raised.

DS: Well then, if you don't feel—don't come to my games. Don't bring black people, and don't come.
Obviously he's jealous of black people being well-endowed.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 03:41 PM

Obviously he's jealous of black people being well-endowed.
As I said, I'm sure there is racism in this, but it's more convoluted than that. Also the swing on this is crazy, he goes from being praised by the NAACP to being sentenced to death (on a professional level) within 48 hours.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 04:01 PM

As I said, I'm sure there is racism in this, but it's more convoluted than that.
I what sense? He's still a giant racist.

Also the swing on this is crazy, he goes from being praised by the NAACP to being sentenced to death (on a professional level) within 48 hours.
I'm going to be be very surprised if you put any stock in what the NAACP thinks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2014, 06:59 PM

Sorry, but no. Victimhood doesn't have any real value, at least not in the 1st world. There are too many opportunities available, just for the asking.
Yes, the opportunity to get arrested/charged with crimes in a higher frequency than people with white skin. Then when you get out of jail for buying that dime of weed your future is wiiiiide open.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2014, 08:53 PM

This sums up the political situation in the country perfectly. White guy in power says horrific racist shit in predominantly black league, gets banned; Conservatives desperately look for someone of the other side to get banned because... equity. You guys feel so persecuted that even when a someone who you guys will admit is an asshole gets his just reward, you guys are scrambling to try to find someone on the other side to keep the equation balanced.
Because the answer has never been imbalance. I think the examples provided by conservatives are examples they had already been aware of and found problematic, but assumed the professional basketball culture had loosened overall. When it becomes apparent that the NBA is not afraid to clamp down on a behavior, it is natural to measure it against other offenses. Why? To avoid imbalance. I never asked that Jay-Z be banned from the NBA or even that he be considered to the degree of shame committed by Sterling. AFAIC; I'd be perfectly happy if Silver made an official statement on behalf of the NBA that no forms of racism will be tolerated. You punish Sterling the way you see fit and I have no qualms with their action against him. But at a broader scale, the fact that Sterling said this is not the fault of white people squandering their privilege working at Walmart, or in concrete, or cleaning toilets. The whole country is like this, for nearly everyone, and for a number of various reasons. If the goal is not a post-racial society, that's going to disappoint a lot of conservatives too. IMO, the best places to focus your attention on personal growth is in those things you can control.

Let me in on a little secret: If you guys do find anti-white bias (or, more correctly, black privilege) in the NBA, imagine if the whole country was like that. Then you might know what it's like to be black.
You and I could never know, right? I mean... imagine the whole country was like what, millionaires trying to impose their will over other millionaires? I have worked for, read about, and worked with companies that get write-ups for meeting standards of diversity and they are very motivated by opportunities to promote minorities into positions of leadership. The isms including racism occur much earlier on in personal development and are too often fostered by a defeatist mindset burdened by uncontrollable factors that hinder them from even thinking they were capable of a leadership role. This is the cycle of poverty and it has entrapped a great many privileged whites as well.

I don't find black privilege in the NBA, but then I don't look for privilege as if it could be effectively relinquished by anyone who had it, whether they knew it or not.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 05:10 AM

I what sense? He's still a giant racist.
So is Spike Lee. The situation needs more analysis than spending 2 days fuming over an issue and then handing out lifetime bans like bus tokens, all without giving the man a hearing. What are the odds that Lee will get the same treatment, despite his comments being on the record, and not just private words spoken in the heat of a moment? I'd say slim and none, and slim just left town.

I'm going to be be very surprised if you put any stock in what the NAACP thinks.
In some matters. Do you?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yes, the opportunity to get arrested/charged with crimes in a higher frequency than people with white skin. Then when you get out of jail for buying that dime of weed your future is wiiiiide open.
I'm not sure why black cops are arresting other blacks with higher frequency (in those particular communities black cops outnumber white cops nearly 4:1), it's probably because in the areas that have the highest crime rates (by an order of magnitude), where blacks comprise the majority of the population, the typical unemployment rates are 3x higher than the national average and 80% of their children are born into single parent homes. Another issue that needs to be discussed frankly, on a national level, is why do blacks commit >60% of all murders in this country while being <15% of the population?
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 8, 2014, 07:58 AM

Its a CULTURAL ISSUE, not specifically a racial one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 08:04 AM

Meaning the urban "hip-hop" culture?
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 8, 2014, 09:27 AM

No specific culture/sub-culture. But what may be acceptable in one culture doesn't mean its acceptable in another. the AA's seem to think the "N" word is OK for THEM to use but not anyone else. Sure, it does look like hypocrites abound. People who are offended are the ones with the issues though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2014, 10:10 AM

I'm in the "Sterling had to go" camp, but I've heard others bring up this issue...

Magic Owner Richard DeVos isn't a fan of gay marriage:

Q: You gave $100,000 to the effort to defeat the recognition of gay marriage in Florida. Why did you choose to put money behind that cause?

A: Because I believe in it. That’s just a sacred issue of respecting marriage. It was not an anti-gay thing.

I have been hung in effigy by the gay community for a long time, from when I was on President Reagan’s first AIDS commission…

From that point on, that’s when they were hanging me in effigy because I wasn’t sympathetic to all of their requests for special treatment. Because at that time it was always somebody else’s fault. And I said, “You are responsible for your actions, too, you know. Conduct yourself properly,” which is a pretty solid Christian principle. You’ve got to take responsibility for your actions. It went from there to a series of requests for special treatment…

…Call [gay marriage] something else. Call it anything you want to. But marriage is a sacred document, OK? A sacred sacrament in the church and in the world. Don’t mess with it.

Go do something else. I deal with a lot of wonderful gay people. I hire a lot of them. I use a lot of them. I respect them. They’re terrific. I am good friends with them. But you live your life the way you want to live and I’ll live mine and I won’t stick my nose in yours. But don’t keep trying to change things. That’s all.
So how long is it before DeVos is forced out? And would his insistence that it's a religious belief have any impact on whether it would be pursued?

It's probably not going to happen in 2014 or even 2015, but five years down the road? And at that point, where does it stop? Does the NBA risk being an activist group if a line isn't drawn somewhere?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2014, 10:12 AM

Because the answer has never been imbalance. I think the examples provided by conservatives are examples they had already been aware of and found problematic, but assumed the professional basketball culture had loosened overall. When it becomes apparent that the NBA is not afraid to clamp down on a behavior, it is natural to measure it against other offenses. Why? To avoid imbalance. I never asked that Jay-Z be banned from the NBA or even that he be considered to the degree of shame committed by Sterling. AFAIC; I'd be perfectly happy if Silver made an official statement on behalf of the NBA that no forms of racism will be tolerated. You punish Sterling the way you see fit and I have no qualms with their action against him. But at a broader scale, the fact that Sterling said this is not the fault of white people squandering their privilege working at Walmart, or in concrete, or cleaning toilets. The whole country is like this, for nearly everyone, and for a number of various reasons. If the goal is not a post-racial society, that's going to disappoint a lot of conservatives too. IMO, the best places to focus your attention on personal growth is in those things you can control.
You've completely lost me.

I don't find black privilege in the NBA, but then I don't look for privilege as if it could be effectively relinquished by anyone who had it, whether they knew it or not.
Is this the "life isn't fair" argument?

---

So is Spike Lee.
You seem to be missing the world of difference in their positions. One of them owns and manages an NBA team, and as such represents the league 24/7. The other sits court side and got paid by the NBA once.

The situation needs more analysis than spending 2 days fuming over an issue and then handing out lifetime bans like bus tokens, all without giving the man a hearing.
A hearing for what?

Again, I question how informed you are on the subject:
Q. In your conversations with Sterling, did he own up to this immediately? Was it only after you guys had come up with some sort of proof? And what, if anything, has he expressed approaching remorse, regret, anything? What’s his sentiment at this point?

ADAM SILVER: Mr. Sterling acknowledged it was his voice on the tape, and he has not expressed to me directly any other views.

In some matters. Do you?
Not that I can recall.

---

I'm not sure why black cops are arresting other blacks with higher frequency (in those particular communities black cops outnumber white cops nearly 4:1),
...wait, are you trying to deflect racism in the justice system by pointing out black cops arrest blacks? Because the problems go a lot deeper than who's doing the arrests. Like, that's the least of the problems (Laws, directives, sentencing, etc)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So how long is it before DeVos is forced out?
Never.

It's probably not going to happen in 2014 or even 2015, but five years down the road? And at that point, where does it stop? Does the NBA risk being an activist group if a line isn't drawn somewhere?
The league isn't 76% homosexuals. If it was, you might have a point.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 8, 2014, 12:35 PM

You seem to be missing the world of difference in their positions. One of them owns and manages an NBA team, and as such represents the league 24/7. The other sits court side and got paid by the NBA once
Gonna quote this in an attempt to help you help yourself understand the order of magnitude of difference in their positions in the NBA.

Edit: this was directed at Shaddim
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2014, 12:46 PM

Huh?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 12:49 PM

I'm in the "Sterling had to go" camp, but I've heard others bring up this issue...

Magic Owner Richard DeVos isn't a fan of gay marriage:
It seems they forgot about something, Mrs Sterling owns the team too, and she doesn't want to sell it.

You seem to be missing the world of difference in their positions. One of them owns and manages an NBA team, and as such represents the league 24/7. The other sits court side and got paid by the NBA once.
Indeed. Lee is much more visible than Sterling. Also, it's more than once, Lee gets paid every time those commercials with the Knicks gets aired.

A hearing for what?
To discuss his racist comments in front of all the owners and league brass. It would also be an excellent time to talk about ALL of the racism in the league and how to address it.

Not that I can recall.
Interesting, I guess I take their positions more to heart than you, perhaps?

...wait, are you trying to deflect racism in the justice system by pointing out black cops arrest blacks? Because the problems go a lot deeper than who's doing the arrests. Like, that's the least of the problems (Laws, directives, sentencing, etc)
That's not deflection, it's called not turning a blind eye to important factors, here. Why are black cops arresting and "harassing" other young black men? Since 80% of the people murdered by young black men are other young black men, it's long past time to ask why they're trying to destroy themselves. That's a blood-chilling stat, HALF of ALL murders are YBM gunning down each other. Holy shit! If you removed them from our national statistics, our murder rate would drop to 1.4/100k, or just ahead of Canada but right behind the UK. If they were their own country the rate would be >16/100k, or nearly the same as Rwanda!

As my PA just said a few minutes ago, while we were talking about this (we do that a lot), "You aren't racist, you're prejudiced against thugs, gangbangers, and the culture surrounding them, and I am too".
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 12:58 PM

Gonna quote this in an attempt to help you help yourself understand the order of magnitude of difference in their positions in the NBA.

Edit: this was directed at Shaddim
Indeed, you should, one of them is in the back office while the other is a spokesman, for God's sake. IOW, he's paid to run his mouth about how much he dislikes mixed race couples!

Wake up, people.
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2014, 01:36 PM

You've completely lost me.
The point is that conservatives share the goal of a post-racial society. Absolutely hammering the white racist while completely ignoring black racists is not a balanced or effective approach to accomplishing the goal of a post-racial society. It leads to resentment and can pose even more tension.

Is this the "life isn't fair" argument?
It wasn't an argument, it was a point in fact. Privilege cannot be identified solely by skin color nor can that be relinquished even if it were true.
ebuddy

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 8, 2014, 03:23 PM

Indeed. Lee is much more visible than Sterling. Also, it's more than once, Lee gets paid every time those commercials with the Knicks gets aired.
That's not how actors are compensated for commercials.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 04:30 PM

Is getting a big lump sum really that different from a cause and effect perspective?

Forum Links
Forum Rules