Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is there a problem with my mbp screen?

is there a problem with my mbp screen?
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2006, 01:18 AM

C2D, 2GB, 160hdd, 256vram.......15' w/matte finish

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this machine, first of all...I take the thing everywhere. It's my baby.

But I noticed the other day that there appears to be an area of my screen...roughly the shape of a circle....perhaps an inch in diameter...and its "lighter" compared to the rest of the screen. I thought that perhaps it was jus tthe site I was on or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I visited other sites and took a closer look and its definitely there.

Should I take it into the applestore? What coudl this be?
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 10:56 PM

Sometimes LCDs are a bit blotchy - do you have a pic? If not, it would never hurt to bring it to the Apple Store.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 11:04 PM

Do some research on "white spots". I haven't heard about it coming up for a couple of years, but AppleCare replaced my PowerBook's screen when it had white spots.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2006, 11:12 PM

thanks you guys!

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2006, 11:16 PM

Where is it on the screen?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 12:35 AM

its around the top right corner

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 08:42 AM

well if it is anywhere around the edge of the screen and its brighter then i would say it is 'almost' certainly "light leakage".

the lcd is backlit by a thin long globe. so this globe shines light everywhere. sometimes you may get some light escaping around the edges of the lcd making that part of the screen seem brighter and hence the neighbouring bits darker.

if it is a very noticable thing then definitely take it in to get checked up. things do go worong in manufacturing and some parts are not assembeled perfectly so you might have a case to raise.

also... if you keep your screen rather dim to save battery life then the light leakage may become more obvious. on the otherhand if your screen is very bright the entire screen may seem evenly lit. So the apple techs may decide that it isnt a big deal and not repair it... much to the frustrations of yourself and other people who have encountered similar things.

but do raise it with your apple techs. it is worth a shot. hope all goes well.

rob.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 04:19 PM

thank you!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
the lcd is backlit by a thin long globe. so this globe shines light everywhere. sometimes you may get some light escaping around the edges of the lcd making that part of the screen seem brighter and hence the neighbouring bits darker.
Uhh... what? The LCD is lit by one or two fluorescent tubes, as thick as a pencil lead. Light areas are generally failure of the light spreader layer of the panel.

tooki

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 05:32 PM

well, i just looked for it again and all of a sudden i cant see it! i dunno why. i did a search for white spots and saw a thread where someone suggested putting up a dark background and then turning th ebrightness up all the way to see if the problem becomes more obvious but there was nothing! But I'm not insnae, I know I saw it! I think if I see it again, more obvious, I will bring it into the store and make not eof the exact conditions/website or whatever I'm looking at during tha ttime. I LOVE this machine though so if the problem doesn't becomenoticeable again, I will prolly just let it slide untill it does become notiveable.

I gotta hand it to Apple though, this machien is just perfect. No whine at ALL, and the temp is just right, even on a bare lap, it don't burn. It's SO fast...wifi is flawless, awakes from "sleep" with everything working as it should, DVD player is actually functional (more than I can say about my previous laptop...lol). I really love this machine a LOT and was well well well wroth the $2.6k that I spent on it.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
I gotta hand it to Apple though, this machien is just perfect. No whine at ALL, and the temp is just right, even on a bare lap, it don't burn. It's SO fast...wifi is flawless, awakes from "sleep" with everything working as it should, DVD player is actually functional (more than I can say about my previous laptop...lol). I really love this machine a LOT and was well well well wroth the $2.6k that I spent on it.
thats awsome to hear

skew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hi forum. A long time lurker and now my first post! I've just upgraded from a 1g PB17" that was a fantastic machine to the new top end 17" MBP C2D. I'm really happy so far (will be much happier when CS3 and MSO 07 comes out ) but notice that my screen isn't as consistent as the old PB. There are much brighter areas in the bottom corners. Do you think it's within manufacturing tolerance or should I be taking this into the store? I realize that's a tough call without seeing it.

O
--wake up--

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 08:28 PM

put up a pic

spice003
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 02:38 PM

i have MBP when i turn it on in the morning the middle of the screen is darker then the sides. and it pisses me off when i'm trying to do video editing.its very noticeable. and it happens every time i turn it off for like 2 hours. should i have apple replace it or what. also when i use itunes songs would just stop playing and make a loud click sound i always have it hooked to my receiver and i'm not trying to ruin my speakers. any idea?

Thraxes
Nov 26, 2006, 05:09 PM

My screen is very dark on the right side just after I turn it on. Wasn't like that until just a few weeks ago. It does recover after about 10 - 15 minutes so I can live with it for now until I can spare the machine for a week or two to have it fixed. While they are at it they can also get the right speaker done as-well... it has started distorting pretty badly in the last month.

I have a project with a deadline though and can't spare this machine for more than a week until that is done. It won't be until after x-mas that I can have it fixed
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

spice003
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 11:12 PM

so you guys think i should call apple and get it fixed. it should be covered by standared warranty, cause i don't have apple care.

ONG
Nov 27, 2006, 03:23 AM

get it checked.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 07:47 PM

A little update...I saw the white spot again and also noticed that ithere appears to be another one forming. And I was mistaken by saying tha tit was in the corner...it was actually toward the center...my bad....:-)

Anyway, I opened a blank Word document so it would be more easily visible to the techs at the Store and they went ahead and took it. I'm hoping that the turn around will be quick because I need my baby!

I wasn't going to go this route but the more I thought about the $2.6 I spent on it, th emore I thought there should be no white spots on my screen. Hopefully they will repair the screen or replace it in a timely manner because I need it back to do a project (or I will be forced to use the school computers....ugh).

Forum Links
Forum Rules