Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Running on "Highest" Processor Setting

Running on "Highest" Processor Setting
Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 06:21 AM

Just had a read of the macintouch review.

HOWEVER it doesnt recommend you run on highest all the time.
I have read on here that running on highest all the time is fine.

So i did a search about on google - wasnt very helpfull to be honest about half were saying dont run on highest all the time as it will shorten the life of the CPU, etc.. and the others were saying it will be fine, everything will last the same length of time etc...

Also some said it doesnt use anymore electic but other said it did

What the verdict from people on here?? Whats the truth??

Darren
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Noonster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 06:22 AM

I will be on it most nights 5pm - 11pm (ISH), at all other times the machine will have the screen set to turn off (after 10mins) but NEVER go to sleep, as i want it to run the maintenance etc... - should i have the HD set to spindown or not?

Cost is not an issue to me
My concern is that the bits not lasting as long as they should and the mac overheating etc... - if its definate that running at highest does no damage then i will use that.

I just want my machine to run at its "BEST" when i wanna use it - I want to be able to come home, move the mouse and away i go... browsing the web, playing music in iTunes, and probably editing photos all at the same time...

I just dont want the mac to work hard when it doesnt need to... however if i use the auto setting it wont be running at its best when i use it.

Think that makes sence

Darren
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Noonster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 06:34 AM

Just come accross this webpage, which has some very usefull info.
- http://developer.apple.com/documenta...section_3.html

Here is an extract from it about this topic....

Processor Power Step

To lower power consumption, the iMac G5 computer incorporates an automatic power management technique called power stepping. Power stepping is designed to run at high processor and bus speeds and high voltage when the demand on the processor is high, and to run at low processor and bus speeds and low voltage when the demand on the processor is low. The stepped processor speed is either 900 MHz or 1.8 GHz for the 1.8 GHz processor or 800 MHz or 1.6 GHz for the 1.6 GHz processor. Switching between different processor/bus speeds and voltages is achieved by a very fast transition that is designed to minimally impact system or application performance and typically operates seamlessly to the user.

In addition, the iMac G5 computer allows the user to control speed of the processor and bus. The options for specifying either high, reduced, or automatic processor and bus speeds are located at System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options; then select Automatic (default), Highest, or Reduced.

Note: For best performance when using professional applications with high demand on the system (such as Final Cut Pro or Logic), you may want to set the processor/bus speed option to highest.

If the iMac G5 computer detects a system temperature that is too high, due to high ambient temperatures or other factors, it will automatically reduce the processor and bus speed regardless of the selected setting. If the temperature continues to be too high, the operating system will cause the system to enter sleep mode.

^^^ Think that answers the question i was asking and HOPEFULLY it is helpfull to others.
Highest setting here i come.

Darren
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Finrock
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 08:20 PM

I've been running my 1.8 GHz 20" iMac G5 (2GB/250/BT) non-stop on the "Highest" processor setting non-stop since I took delivery on September 29th. No problems here!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Noonster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Finrock:
I've been running my 1.8 GHz 20" iMac G5 (2GB/250/BT) non-stop on the "Highest" processor setting non-stop since I took delivery on September 29th. No problems here!
Thanks for the info
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 11:36 AM

Apple's process is similar to Cool 'n Quiet support with Athlon 64 processors. I can't tell the difference on my 64. It runs at 800mhz until it needs the power, then ramps up to 2ghz. Remember, not too long ago, ALL processors ran on "highest."

Forum Links
Forum Rules